Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

soem headers hang down to much and if this was a 620 L20 header maybe even lower.side markers are ez to figure out. just switchable poeffthem unlike the headlamps.seen brass plugs installed on thos eairinjected hole if possibel

Thanks Hainz. It was a l18 Cyclone header from a 74 620. But if I can remove and plug the smog holes in the stock manifold, that will be the way to go especially if it is already bolted in. for ease and time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice wagon, was it not for sell on EBAY. Looks real good.

Yup it was for sale on Ebay right after Christmas. It got zero bids. Apparently the east coast was sleeping. I missed it myself somehow. Popped up on CL here and I moved on it.

• Like 3

Step 1: Get it in my name.

Step 2: get it running.

Step 3: get it stopping

Step 4: Get it lower

Step 5: Get it new wheels to celebrate.

Crossing off step one! Wasting no time I went and applied for my new MA title today. Took 2.5 hours to get to the desk! (Note to self, don't go to DMV during school vacation week.)

Little tricky because CT, where I bought the wagon, has no titles on vehicles this old. Just registrations, which the PO had in his name. (Same with NH and maybe Maine) Plus I have the original registration from 1970. However, Mass wants a title. In the end they have to obey states rights and since CT doesn't need a title, I don't need one to title a CT car in MA. I just need that registration, even if it is expired, and naturally a bill of sale. But after you explain it they go with the flow.

I took a deep breath when I got out of there though. You never know with MA.

So in about a month I should have the physical title in hand.

Another fun fact about MA. THey don't go by the price on the Bill of Sale. They go by the NADA medium or low value.... So that 1930 Ford Coupe shell you bought for $500 that was held together with ducktape and rotted with no engine or trans? Get ready to get taxed on 10 grand, minimum.

They taxed me on the low value of the Datsun though. Thankfully. On that end they are still pretty cheap.

• Like 3

Vintage connections has Japanese wire connectors.  Small Home business.  Good people to deal with.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

Here is a Picture of part of one of my orders.

DSC01306_zpsdbc80658.jpg

This is great!, I don't want modern looking connectors in this L16 bay if I can help it!

• Like 1

Scott,

In NH, titles are not required on vehicles 1999 and earlier.

BUT, if your car is over 25 years old, you can request a title.

SO when I registered Oil Drop he also got a NH title.

Most excellent! Funny but of the old cars I've bought, 2 came out of NH. And I've thought about a lot more that have popped up there on CL. For some reason NH has more of this stuff than the other NE states I think.

Another fun fact about MA. THey don't go by the price on the Bill of Sale. They go by the NADA medium or low value.... So that 1930 Ford Coupe shell you bought for $500 that was held together with ducktape and rotted with no engine or trans? Get ready to get taxed on 10 grand, minimum.

They taxed me on the low value of the Datsun though. Thankfully. On that end they are still pretty cheap.

Texas does the same thing now.  In the good ol days, you could just put $100 on the bill of sale, and nobody had to pay taxes on the transfer.  I guess that's what we get for bucking the system too often.  I can remember people selling $5000 cars and making a $100 bill of sale.  Buyer pays like $15 for the registration.  Seller pockets the cash and doesn't claim it on that year's taxes.  The new way leaves a paper trail so you gotta be honest.

I've had my orange 620 for over 4 years now.  I can't register it because out of state transfers have to pass inspection before they can be registered.  Truck don't run.  Ain't passing inspection til it does.  Luckily for me, the local inspection place will pass anything as long as the horn honks and all of the lights work.

Congrats on the clean ass goon.  It's probably ok to take it off of the jack stands now.

• Like 5

Congrats on the clean ass goon.  It's probably ok to take it off of the jack stands now.

LMFAO I know. Am I crazy or is it higher than stock? I am wondering if it is stock struts under there. I've never had a 510 with stock struts. I will try to take better pics for you folks.

• Like 2

Makin the deal the other night. Nice guy. And his garage was so damn clean! Every bolt organized. Tools lined up like soldiers in the drawers. Even his manuals were arranged from biggest to smallest. That is the kind of perfectionist I want to buy a car from. He is a muscle car dude at his core, and the datsun was sleeping in a space that his cherry, one-owner Monte Carlo wanted.

IMG_1594.jpg

Checking the straps, chains, and extra safety straps. Nothing budged, but the Freakin uhaul... the ramps came out twice and dragged on the road. Safe to say they got bungied in for the rest of the trip. But I smiled everytime I looked out the back window and the goon looked beautiful in the street lamp light. Thankfully a snow free night, though it was wicked cold! Like 4 degrees when we were unloading.

IMG_1529.jpg

Checking it out the morning after. THings can look different in the daylight, but I was happy to see I picked the right girl to spend the night with.

IMG_1593.jpg

• Like 5

Dug a little deeper into Mr Clean. He is living up to his name so far. Lot of work went into this goon.

First I took off the valve cover. I was told the engine is rebuilt with zero miles. Looks legit! I've never had a Datsun that clean under the valve cover, LOL. 210 head casting.

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

He never ran it, but PO was told the carb needs to be replaced or maybe rebuilt. Looks pretty though.

IMG_1614.jpg

Rear seat material looked swell. No rips. But I was really wondering what was under the seat. Looks clean.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

Rear Floors. Lil dusting of surface rust on that channel from the drain hole, scotch brite will get it off. But anything else you see if pretty much dirt or old insulation.

Check out the seatbelt mounts though. Somehow I am guessing the eyelits aren't stock?

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

• Like 2

Every bit of rubber I can see in the stering/suspension looks new/replaced, and those that aren't are in the parts box waiting.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Back of the wagon.

IMG_1618.jpg

Engine bay metal.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

And speaking of parts box, here are my goodies. Anyone now what M/C that is. There is no size listed on it anywhere and the cap was chewed by a doggie, but the PO was told it wouldn't work with this wagon? Looks right from pics I've seen. Restored T/C rods, new bushings in the box, ready to be installed. Check out what looks like  NOS choke cable! Also I have all the aluminum trim bits for the door jamb, etc.

IMG_1620.jpg

Starter, inline fuel filter, fuel pump, belts, old hoses, bumper brackets (I have the bumpers too.) Barb spacer and gasket.Other random rubber.

IMG_1621.jpg

New hose. Speedo cable. T-stat housings. Hood popper. Brake shoes. Have no idea what that metal bracket is under the Hood Lever cable?

IMG_1622.jpg

Extras of pretty much every light/sidemarker. All lights are new on the car, these are the old ones, plus extra old door handles (new on car) door hinges, headlight housing, hood latch. Some good spares in there.

IMG_1623.jpg

All new door seals for every door. And I have the old door strips for the body. Don't think I will put on the tiawan mirrors though. Will try to source a legit door mirror especially since the mounting holes for these mirrors don't line up on the door. And some new heater hoses maybe and new valve cover bolts. One side of the swaybar needs to be attached and that is the bracket and bushing, and other rubber stuff I will have to identify.

IMG_1624.jpg

• Like 4

Here are my struts guys. Rebuilt. Are they stock 510? (Only know maxima on my dime.) The solid discs would say yes, but man it is so high! I read somewhere today that this gen of 510's had different length struts and were not all the same? It is almost a shame not to use them since they are like new. But I need more lower. (I have new rubber for where the sway bar attaches.)

IMG_1608.jpg

• Like 1