So I stumbled upon this 72 510 Wagon...

tablebeast

I just picked this up this week. It was a real bitch getting it home: It was sitting out in the woods where it had sat since 2000. Most of the path to it was covered in briers, the rear tires were flat and would not take air, AND the driver's side ear brake was locked up! So we eventually got it onto the trailer, but getting it OFF the trailer was a lot harder. I'm just glad I had my tow truck friend Eddie with me because what took us about two hours together would have taken me ALL DAY by myself. So here she is, EXACTLY as she came out of the woods, I haven't even wiped off the spider webs! Its covered in filth that should wash off and the original paint doesn't look too bad so that should buff out OK. The worst part is obvious, the driver's side front fender is toast. So is the front bumper. And driver's seat. But at least the Datsun logo is salvageable. She is a 4 speed/1600cc, ALL original with right at 150k miles. Once it warms up this week I will throw some rollers on the rear wheels, break the rear brake loose, give her a bath inside + out and then clean up the rust a bit. She was driven to where she was parked and the fluids are all still there so I bet I can get her running without much effort. By the way, I am in Asheville, NC and finding these in ANY shape on the east coast is impossible. For me to get this one so cheap and in decent shape was a bit of s surprise. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_20150311_185847_zps5kcqcasi.jpg

IMG_20150311_185812_zpsnpvwalr9.jpg

IMG_20150311_185751_zpslset4rsz.jpg

IMG_20150311_185736_zpstfinww5m.jpg

IMG_20150310_190022_zpsng8c3hgp.jpg

IMG_20150310_185629_zpsix21dmbh.jpg

IMG_20150310_185120_zpssk17ygd5.jpg

IMG_20150310_184814_zpsvimkir1m.jpg

IMG_20150310_184738_zps5riusaqo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the house carpet up front, the floors aren't that bad. They guy I got it from said there was NO rust on it when his mom bought it in 1988 with 92k on it. He said all the rust was from sitting in the woods for the last 15 years. There is a bit of surface stuff, but only tiny holes, no real rot anywhere. I am just going to sand the rust down and paint it with some rust converter for now to keep it in check, then just buff out that original cactusgreen paint and drive it like it is!

• Like 2

The guy I share a shop with is a paint and body guy and he wants to show me how to do what he does so this will be a good candidate for a crash course. Its got it all: complete fender replacement, floor patching, rocker work, smooth dent along the two passenger doors, worn paint on roof and fender, etc. So, eventually I will get around to fixing her up nice, but for now I just want to get her cleaned up. DAMN YOU, 17 degree temperatures!

• Like 4

Wait...what?  Oh...you're just talking about the floors?

Yeah, the floors just have one small spot that needs a patch and the passenger fender and rocker need patches, but the rest of the rust along the edges is mostly surface rust with some pitting and small holes. It has ZERO previous bodywork, NO bondo, and all original paint. So what you see is what you get. Structure underneath looks great, I don't think it was driven in salt at all.

Nice find strolling through the woods. Doesn't look like there's too much rust, but you'll know more when you clean her up. Congrats and have fun building here up!!

I was at this guy's house who was selling these two trashed RVs cheap and he asked if I wanted to see this old 57 Mercury 2 door that he had in the woods nearby. It was rotten to the core, but nearby was the ol Datsun. He said that it was his mom's car for years until she stopped driving. Originally he gave me a ridiculously low price, but then called back later and said he looked it up online and wanted a lot more. I left it there for like 8 months and then just called up last week with a price halfway between his two prices and we made a deal. Can't wait to clean her up! New pics to come this week if I can get the shop warm enough!

• Like 1

You'll run into people that think their stuff is worth a whole lot more based off price guides. But the truth is that they are only worth what people are willing to pay at the time. I ran into this motorcycles and parts. Either way, good find and let the fun begin!!

Great find in NC.  I'll be watching your thread as you make progress.  But, I'm sure it is snowing on you today just like it is here.  It'll be a few days before you get much washing outdoors.

Yeah, all I got done today was to find a couple of roller quality tires to swap on the rear wheels. I'll take them to the tire store tomorrow. THEN I can smack the rear driver's side brake drum with a rubber hammer, break it loose and roll the old girl in the shop.

• 4 weeks later...

I put new plugs and wires on it, but then discovered why it was probably parked to begin with, the starter motor is bad. But at least the engine turned the first few times I cranked it and it had compression and spark. So now I have two bad starter assemblies from two L series engines. One has a bad solenoid and the other a bad starter motor. So, I am going to make one good one out of the two bad ones and try again. First though I am going to drain the oil and see what that looks like before I refill it with fresh stuff.

Fair warning! I have had to put this car up for sale even though I really don't want to. I just need the money very unexpectedly. I've got an ad up in the classifieds section.

Next up is to get it running and then redo all the brakes. The rear shoes were shot and I had to use the two-bolt trick to get the tightly locked up drum off the driver's side. So, it rolls good now! Also I might have to do some clutch work because the clutch pedal is stuck up, it won't budge.