what's the dang deal (getting locked)

So the other day I was emailing back n forth with a fellow selling a 720, and he asks: "Have you heard of Ratsun.net?" No, but I'll check it out, I says to the guy I says....Well I find it, Join, post a 'hello I'm brand new' post in which I also inquire about a temperature gauge issue...and then poke around the site for awhile.WOW....all kinds of vehicle specific forums, and people posting what they've had done, and offering advice to others with issues or a challenging how to....and even how to navigate photobucket!  SO in my excitement in having just joined, and still gushing i ask now on a 720 page about the temperature gauge (again) on what seems like the more apropo place to inquire. Well, lo and behold my query gets "blocked" after four responses and two of em remind me I "already" asked....

Now I understand that there is some ettiquette involved and a pecking order and lets not be redundant and all that. But no "Welcome to Ratsun" or understanding I was brand spanking new and excited! And what purpose does blocking a question serve anyways. Sorry but it just feels like such a  trivial (and so flippin sudden) parental exercize of "I'm in charge!"  Just wanted to explain how unwelcoming this has felt for me and no worries...I'm not gushing anymore.   Ed

• Like 3
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the other day I was emailing back n forth with a fellow selling a 720, and he asks: "Have you heard of Ratsun.net?" No, but I'll check it out, I says to the guy I says....Well I find it, Join, post a 'hello I'm brand new' post in which I also inquire about a temperature gauge issue...and then poke around the site for awhile.WOW....all kinds of vehicle specific forums, and people posting what they've had done, and offering advice to others with issues or a challenging how to....and even how to navigate photobucket!  SO in my excitement in having just joined, and still gushing i ask now on a 720 page about the temperature gauge (again) on what seems like the more apropo place to inquire. Well, lo and behold my query gets "blocked" after four responses and two of em remind me I "already" asked....

Now I understand that there is some ettiquette involved and a pecking order and lets not be redundant and all that. But no "Welcome to Ratsun" or understanding I was brand spanking new and excited! And what purpose does blocking a question serve anyways. Sorry but it just feels like such a  trivial (and so flippin sudden) parental exercize of "I'm in charge!"  Just wanted to explain how unwelcoming this has felt for me and no worries...I'm not gushing anymore.   Ed

Dude let me say welcome to Ratsun! It is a great place once you get the swing of things. And as a mod I am glad you mentioned it because it is something we've openly talked about before as to the welcoming of new folks. Despite the rough start I hope you hang in there.

Posted at 8:42 AM

Hello there fellow Datsun lovers. My name is Ed and I have an ;81 King Cab. I just joined Ratsun today, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I have a question for starters: How do I get my temperature gauge working again? Do you recommend after market or fix existing?
I have done the; clutch, valve cover gasket, upgraded to Jeep Grand Cherokee seats, added a nice big center console, and various tinkering things. I've also HAD done; belts, hoses, flush and fill (radiator) new gear oil( tranfer case, ft & rear diff) oil and filter, pinion gear, starter, alt, and new battery.  My truck is from Idaho, and although it is fairly solid, it does have floor pan rust that should be dealt with, and my exhaust is a pathetic "cut and paste" temporary set up that leaks and is not complete..in fact the muffler is right under the cab with very little tailpipe. (I know right!)  I'm just too cheap to spend $200 but I know as soon as I do, I'm going to wonder why I did'nt do it A year ago!  Alright....thanks for looking, and "Datsun Strong!"     Ed

Clearly you were welcomed to Ratsun and your question about the temperature gauge answered a half hour later in my reply below....

Welcome to Ratsun, Ed.

Temp gauge...

Is the gas gauge working? If not they both share a common supply from a voltage regulator that may not be working. If gas is working we'll move on...

Power flows through the temperature gauge to the temperature sender and to ground to read on the gauge. Cold is high resistance and a cold reading and hot is lower resistance and a warmer reading. Thus if we ground the sender wire to the intake, the gauge should read full HOT with the key on. The temperature sender is located just below the thermostat cover and the top rad hose, on the front of the intake manifold. The sender wire is Yellow/Black stripe and may have fallen off or not making good contact. Touching it to the manifold should show a hot reading on the gauge and prove that the wiring is intact. If no reading when connected to the sender then the sender is likely bad and needs replacing.

To confirm... transmission and transfer case oil is GL-4. Differential oil is GL-5. It's important that GL-5 NOT be used in a Nissan transmissions or transfer cases.

Engine oil these days has a controversy about how much zinc additive ZDDP has been reduced in it and how well it protects our older 'flat tappet' engines. The ZDDP level 30 years ago was much higher than it is today and has been steadily reduced because today's roller rocker cams don't need it and it ruins the catalytic converters. Good or bad you can still run higher levels by using Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo 400. Both are light diesel 15w40 oils. No you don't have to dump your out. Maybe just figure out what you want and change it at the next oil change.  Do NOT use fram oil filters they are crap and cheaply made. NAPA Gold, WIX and a few others are far superior in build and filter quality.

Ten hours later at  6:09 PM the same day, was followed by.....

Hello 720 owners...I have '81 King Cab. Ive done lots of work, and have had lots of work done aw well. It needs the floor addressed, and my exhaust is 'piecemeal' cuz im cheap, but my temp gauge has never worked. Aftermarket mounted or fix existing. Helpful hints...I'm 'pretty adept' and know when to bring in help :)    thank you and keep on truck'n    ed

My reply a few hours later was....

Rather than start a second thread about something answered. Try a few checks on what you have. Then go from there.

So you were welcomed, your question answered...

...and this unneeded post closed.

... and you are still welcome.

well, let me be the first to say thank you all for the informative, comical and honest responses. And fisch...great artwork! I am a very talented artist whose slant is more pen&ink and cartoony. Once(?)I figure out the posting pictures manage', I'll post some drawings I did in the Ed Roth style with big meats, and flaming dump tubes!! -thanks ev'ryone

• Like 1