tach quit working

Dolomite

I changed my plugs and wires today and afterward my stock tach doesn't work anymore. I put in ngk plugs and wires, switching from ratty old autolite stuff. All connections are intact and none were messed with. It worked right before the change and never worked after. Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the early one and is connected in series with the points and the coil negative terminal. If the wire was broken or a loose connection... the engine wouldn't start. Strange, it wouldn't quit from changing plugs and wires, but....

Check the coil again. The only thing that could have got close to the tach was replacing the high tension lead on the coil. Maybe a wire on the coil was disturbed.

Everything is tight and connected correctly. It's a definite head scratcher. Is there any chance it could be the plugs? The new ones are ngk resistor type, but that's what's listed as the correct plug on the ngk website and in Napa's computer.

Shit, forgot to mention its an l20b with remote igniter dizzy using GM ignition module and Accel coil...brain fart. Still, it worked when I turned off the ignition to change wires and didn't work after. I guess it could be odd luck and just broke but I just don't believe that.

Shit, forgot to mention its an l20b with remote igniter dizzy using GM ignition module and Accel coil...brain fart. Still, it worked when I turned off the ignition to change wires and didn't work after. I guess it could be odd luck and just broke but I just don't believe that.

GMHEIconnections.jpg

Your tach senses the.... on, off, on, off, pulses of the coil being grounded through the - (negative) coil terminal and the C on the HEI module. All the module does is switch the coil to ground and off again to cause a spark (but you probably know this) Some where the tach is connected to the coil negative terminal. Can't help more than this as it has been wired differently than stock. Just check everything.

• Like 1