Help removing front differential

.gauge.

So I'm replacing the oil pan in my 84 720 4x4 and I'm trying to remove the front differential. I have a haynes manual which makes this all sound super easy. I have the three mounting bolts to the differential out and the front cross member out as well. The cv axles are unbolted from the differential, but won't budge/separate from the differential. 

The questions are:

1) Am I going to have to take out the whole CV axle
2)Am I going to have to unbolt the torsion bars so the differential can drop? They seem to be in the way....

The truck has a 3" suspension lift and ball joint spacers. Don't know if that's going to hurt me by putting more pressure on the CV axles..

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There shouldn't be anything holding those cvs to the diff one all the bolts are out. You might have them rust, junk, corrosion welded to the diff stub shafts. Give the cv a beating with a dead blow hammer right where it bolts to the diff see if anything knocks loose. Do it carefully slowly adding a little more force if necessary. If you don't have a dead blow, then a set a 2x4 against the cv and hit that with a regular hammer.

Torsion bars should not have to come out to drop the front diff.

Or go the easier route and pull your engine to do the job.

• Like 2