Questions for you all on a 521 landspeed project

ATP

I am working with a group of people (none on ratsun) on building a 521 to take to bonneville and run in a "mini truck" class. However I have a couple questions for you guru's.

The class is for 72 and later import and domestic mini trucks. I am picking up a 69 521 tomorrow to build, but are there any differences at all between the years of 521's? What are the styling differences? Trim? Or is it simply what the ID tag says it is? Are these things stamped with numbers anywhere else other than the tags? Also, does anyone have a vin tag that is for 72 that they would want to donate to the 200 MPH cause?? This thing won't ever be registered or anything, it's simply a matter of being able to "prove" it's a 72 if we do in fact break records and those get disputed. So what all needs to happen to it to "prove" it's a 72?

Ok, educate me!

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '69 is an L521 and was J13 powered. It has a round red side reflector on the rear side fenders and amber 'arrow' style on the front fenders. The front running or parking lights are different from the '70 and on truck

The '70-'72 is a PL521 and L16 powered. It has the DOT mandated rectangular red rear and amber front side markers. Otherwise the PL521s all look the same.

Both trucks have the VIN stamped on the top of the passenger frame just to the rear of the engine mounts. Your '69 will surely say L521XXXXX

• Like 2

There are three locations of the serial number on L521, and PL 521 trucks.

Top of the right frame rail, behind front suspension, close to the starter.  This is just a serial number.

Close view

SN521Close.jpg

Farther out view

SN521Far.jpg

View with cab and stuff on frame.

SN521Wcab.jpg

There is an aluminium tag, screwed to the cowl, this has serial number, engine number, HP ratings,

EngineTag_zps7990f1ec.jpg

Far view.

EngTagLocation_zps3c4dbf7c.jpg

A second aluminium tag, on the driver's door rear post.

DoorTagLocation_zpsdb698e02.jpg

The door tag is the only one with a date on it, in this case, 01/70.  The door tag has the serial number. PL521 263599.  It is riveted to the cab.

The engine room tag is screwed to the cowl.  In my mind, it is the least important tag, for proving date of build.

The frame number is stamped into the steel of the frame.

If I was looking to prove a 521 is a 1972 model. I would go to the door tag first.  get the date, and serial number off it.  Does the serial number match the serial number on the cowl tag?  Does that serial number match the one on the frame?.  If yes to both questions, then the truck is a 1972.

Then there is the question of how are the rules for the racing organization are written.  Model year 1972, or actually made after Jan 1, 1972.  

Nissan (Datsun) sold "1972" PL 521 trucks for about half way through model year 1972, generally accepted as starting in September 1971.  When the 521 trucks "ran out", it was replaced with a 1972 620 truck.   My point, if you need a made in 1972 PL 521, they will be rarer than model year 1972 PL521.

Personally, I would not use the truck you are thinking of using for this project.  The risk of getting rejected at tech inspection, or getting the award taken away from a protest are too great.

• Like 4

Thanks! Yes this is in fact a 69 then because it has the round markers. I suppose the only thing I need to do is change those and get a 72 vin tags. 

No it is just model year 72 and later. I don't forsee it being a huge issue, if need be I will find a basket case 72 somewhere for the tags and maybe other parts also. There are plenty of race cars built using multiple cars. if I have documentation on a 72 that will be good I suspect. I also can't pass on this because the truck is mostly complete, and pretty straight for $175...

Andrew

• Like 2

"I will add that we are getting in contact with the inspector for this class to ensure we do things correct to prevent any hang ups. "

YES!  Make sure you are in compliance with all the rules before you start something, that for example, you build, and taker to Bonneville, just to be told, "sorry, you do not fit the class"

• Like 1

I will add that we are getting in contact with the inspector for this class to ensure we do things correct to prevent any hang ups. 

Actually, from the OP, it sounds like you're looking for a way to cheat the rules.  I'd love to see your project, but if you're trying to alter the VIN information on a vehicle to fit a class the vehicle obviously does not fit in, you may want to rethink your plan.  I have no idea why the rules for the class is "72 and up," but it is.  So get a 72 and up and build a winner.

/2 cents

• Like 3

Would you not be better off in a 71 or older truck class?

Some of the late 69s came with the L16, while the last year of the 521(72) also came with the L16, yet just a couple years later, the 76 Datsun 620 came with an L20b, which will spank an L16s ass everyday, I just don't see a 521 of any year being competitive in the class you are chasing.

• Like 1

This is definitely not a stock style class. It's simply a mini truck class and then there are many CID classes within that body class. Basically all they care about is the factory body is within the rules. And like I said we are talking with the inspector assigned to that class. We won't build anything until we know we are within the rules.

• Like 1

So the class we are going for is Blown Gas Mini Trucks. It requires the use of a mini truck body, anything 72 and newer in any domestic or import style. Also there are tons of engine displacement options for setting records. We will first run in the F class which is 2.016-3.014 L engines which is currently set at 189.646 mph. It will be getting a turbocharged 2.3 Ford first. This is actually because one of the guys involved has a ton of 2.3 ford parts. We are first trying to get there and make some passes, get a feel for the car, get a bunch of the people in the crew licensed and have fun. After we do that the goal is to probably step up to a turbocharged V8 if we can (packaging will be quite difficult) and hopefully run over 200mph. 200mph is extremely difficult on the salt. there is a huge balance between traction and power and typically that is found by adding weight to the car until it slows down. Most cars are at least 2-3x the original stock weight. The salt and high speed are a whole different animal, and I'm looking forward to this one!

Andrew 

Why don't you see a 521 going fast? Everything is about comparison. Can you imagine a ford ranger going fast? Our competition is other mini trucks. In those terms the 521 has some great qualities. In landspeed racing, going fast is all about drag coefficient! And compared to other mini trucks we believe the 521 has some advantages.

If anyone is interested here is a nice write up outlining some key things for landspeed racers.....very interesting!

http://performancetrends.com/blog/?p=116

Andrew

• Like 2