Towing a datsun?

fisch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, I've been so busy I haven't gotten to do much but go look at it and dream, LOL. There are three main things to tackle. (And heaps of little stuff.) Headliner. See if it will run. And make sure it will stop.

Brakes: currently debating whether to fix up the stock brakes, or to go ZX. Cost wise, I am guessing I need just pads and brakelines (Soft and probably hard too.) maybe rotors, and an MC to get the stock stuff working. With ZX I'd need everything.

Struts: it has improper springs or inserts or both so it is mile high. I can lower using the apparently stock strut housings, or again go ZX. Thing is I guess I 'could' move this down the list because it will at least get on the road with what it has already installed, even if I get a nosebleed. But again if I go ZX for brakes I have to think about it now.

Engine: Looks like it just needs started installed and everything hooked up. But currently has all the smog, but I don't know if I have the hoses. So a smog delete may be in order. Also I am told the carb needs replace or rebuild. I have an Offy manifold for a weber. Also have a vintage Cyclone header, which, if it isn't too long might do the job. It is in great shape, but I think I'd want to paint or have it ceramic coated.

Headliner, looking at it I think I might be able to handle it. I stretch canvas all the time as an artist so have some idea, and with all the reading I've done on headliner instal, that I might give it a go. It is already half way in.

This thing is so pretty I don't want to put dirty parts on it, LOL.

Thanks for the interest dudes!

Headliner, looking at it I think I might be able to handle it. I stretch canvas all the time as an artist so have some idea, and with all the reading I've done on headliner instal, that I might give it a go. It is already half way in.

Are you saying: A canvas painting of one of your Datsuns as a headliner, perhaps?????!!!

I'm somewhat of an artist and imo, THAT would literally 'top' your work!

I'd love to see that happen! Lol!!!!!

Are you saying: A canvas painting of one of your Datsuns as a headliner, perhaps?????!!!

I'm somewhat of an artist and imo, THAT would literally 'top' your work!

I'd love to see that happen! Lol!!!!!

Hmmmmmm..... never thought of that.  I do love a clean looking datsun though. Don't think I could get this busy with it, LOL.

o-SISTINE-CHAPEL-PICKPOCKET-facebook.jpg

• Like 2

Save yourself the headache and anxiety and just get a full trailer. They're usually only $10-20 bucks over the rental cost of a dolly. Don't have to worry about dropping the drive line or blowing up the rear end or will the tires blow out or hold air. Trailers are just easier IMO.

I own both....dollys are great 4 in town.....short outta town. Use a flatbed with trailer brakes & an anti sway hitch w/ steel tension bars on both sides of tongue on trip over 30 miles. Set ride ht of trailer w/ hitch b-4 u load....u want the hitch to force wt transfer to the front of ur tow rig when loaded. If u want more details/pics pm me. Also... use a BIG ratchet strap and go over top of veh being towed(use blankets to prevent paint rub) and click it down to take up the majority of the suspension/body travel~~ Will glide over humps and bumps if u take the time to do it!

• Like 1

[Artistic gift kicking in...] :huh:

Well, even with that much, detailed Church work: You can take a really good picture of that, and just have it printed on it big enough to cover the entire headliner! :angel:

You'd ROCK! LOL :w00t:  :thumbup:

Hmmmmmm..... never thought of that.  I do love a clean looking datsun though. Don't think I could get this busy with it, LOL.

o-SISTINE-CHAPEL-PICKPOCKET-facebook.jpg

Oooh... A picture/s if possible would be nice... only if possible! :thumbup:

I own both....dollys are great 4 in town.....short outta town. Use a flatbed with trailer brakes & an anti sway hitch w/ steel tension bars on both sides of tongue on trip over 30 miles. Set ride ht of trailer w/ hitch b-4 u load....u want the hitch to force wt transfer to the front of ur tow rig when loaded. If u want more details/pics pm me. Also... use a BIG ratchet strap and go over top of veh being towed(use blankets to prevent paint rub) and click it down to take up the majority of the suspension/body travel~~ Will glide over humps and bumps if u take the time to do it!