Towing a datsun?

fisch

Barring an act of god, guess who is getting a goon! A 70 510. It looks beautiful, but some assembly required for sure.

So what's the best way to tow it? Wheels are not locked up. I've only towed once before, and I had to rent an empty box truck to do it. But now I have a Murano with a hitch. I assume the electric hookup is there but i've not looked. What to do if not?

I also used a full trailer last time, but I am wondering if I can get away with a 2 wheel? Will be going about 2-3 hrs with it.

If 2 wheel, will I need to disconnect the driveshaft?

Sorry for the basic question, I am just twiddling my excited thumbs and waiting to grab it Monday. I need a ball for the rereceiver too. I could grab it at haul, but wonder if it is cheaper at tractor supply.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A dolly just seems so much easier to move around so it that will work, it'd be aces. Now I need to remind myself how to remove a drive shaft.

It's like 4 10mm bolts on the rear diff flange. And it's out..

Really if it's a manual you could probably just leave it in. the gears would spin but they would be lubed. You don't want to do this with an automatic because no oil pressure is built up with at the pump. If you can pull it.. I would.

It's like 4 10mm bolts on the rear diff flange. And it's out..

Really if it's a manual you could probably just leave it in. the gears would spin but they would be lubed. You don't want to do this with an automatic because no oil pressure is built up with at the pump. If you can pull it.. I would.

Thanks Draker. It is a manual. Stock,stock,stock. 4-speed. So I could leave it in Neutral and just go, go, go?

I don't see an issue with it. But you know, your going to have it up in the air when it's on the dolly. 4 bolts and the drive line is out. :)

Just remember to put a reference mark on the drive shaft and rear end so that when you reattach you will still have the driveline balanced!

Actually it won't. The mainshaft will be spinning but none of the gears on it will. In neutral none of the gears is selected and meshed with the splines on the mainshaft. Without this the lower countershaft that is in the oil can't spin.... and if it's spinning it's connected through the clutch and the engine is spinning.

Two ways around removing the driveshaft...

1/ I guess you could jam the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it there with a 2x4, then place in 5th. Bit rough on the release bearing.

2/ leave in neutral and let the engine idle while you drive it. The engine will spin the countershaft in neutral and lube the mainshaft above it. Maximum distance you can tow is about 30 miles with the drive shaft on. I suppose you could stop every 29 miles and fire up the engine in neutral for a few seconds to lube it.

Ah hell, just remove the driveshaft. And drain the transmission first, it will leak out the back if the front wheels are off the ground.

How far are you towing it? If under 50 miles you can just dolly it as it is in neutral. If over 50 miles, it is advisable to disconnect the driveshaft. I own a tow dolly and have towed many, many Datsun's with it both short trips and long. (I towed one today) pretty sure the bolt size for the driveshaft is 12mm. If over 50 miles,I disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up under the car. That way the tranny fluid doesn't leak out. I've never messed up a transmission doing it this way. I towed my 620 KC home from Maine in September. 600 plus miles.

Save yourself the headache and anxiety and just get a full trailer. They're usually only $10-20 bucks over the rental cost of a dolly. Don't have to worry about dropping the drive line or blowing up the rear end or will the tires blow out or hold air. Trailers are just easier IMO.

Great advise here ffolks, thanks! I was a little worried about manuvering the big trailer in the tight space that has become my driveway with all this f'n snow! It is like a 4 foot wall all around, lol. But getting the big one is probably the safest bet. Though disconnecting the drive shaft from the rear and using a tie down strap through the doors to hold it up might work too from the sounds of it. Bout a 180 mile trip though, one way.

Either tow and fire the engine up every 30 miles like Mike said, or just undo the four nuts from the diff and use bailing wire to wire the end of the driveshaft out of the way of the diff.  That way you don't have to drain the transmission.  There's more than enough play to remove the nuts and slide the shaft in about an inch, then bailing wire it to a crossmember or something.  It'll be fine.

You got that right wayno! Infact I keep having to change the day because of the weather. Monday is the only clear day.

Turns out haul will only rent a 2 wheel dolly for a Murano. :(

So it is either that or I rent a big truck And the trailer.

Either tow and fire the engine up every 30 miles like Mike said, or just undo the four nuts from the diff and use bailing wire to wire the end of the driveshaft out of the way of the diff.  That way you don't have to drain the transmission.  There's more than enough play to remove the nuts and slide the shaft in about an inch, then bailing wire it to a crossmember or something.  It'll be fine.

I use bailing wire too. I wrap it around the driveshaft and anchor it up to a point under the car. Never had an issue this way.

U haul sucks. They will not rent you a full trailer unless their book says the tow vehicle is rated for the maximum weight in their book.

I once had a V8 explorer and wanted a full trailer to tow a 510 with no engine or transmission. The car was pretty much a stripped shell. The explorer was rated for 5000 pounds. They said the trailer weight was 3000 and the Datsun weight was 2200. They would only give me a dolly. I even showed them pics of the shell.

I bought my own dolly after that episode.

Talking to Uhaul and doing the math it seems after adding the proper hitch (and I have no wiring for the trailer so I would need that installed too), I could probably rent a truck AND a full size 4-wheel trailer for $50 more than just a two wheel dolly.

Add to that in CT the towed vehicle if on a dolly, technically needs to be registered, plated and insured if any of its wheels touch the ground. And I doubt the seller will want me to take his plates and I imagine it isn't insured since it hasn't been on the road in years.

Man I hate manuvering a full size trailer and a big truck, but it is an option. Cause yeah they won't rent me a 4 wheel with my Murano.

I am going to say this, do not tow anything with the roads covered in ice or snow, it's not worth the high probability of you getting in a wreck.

Therefore, in your case: You should make a really good drawing of it before you tow it so that you know what it looked like before you got into that accident (and post it here so that we may buy some copies). [[No pun intended]]

Lol!!!

Drive shaft removal story time!

1984 Monte Carlo SS, middle of Texas summer, car is stuck in the nastiest gas station parking lot ever. Did we bring a jack to make it easier? Nope! Scraped myself under the car and removed that bad boy. Sucked balls for sure. 

Lolz! I am just going to pony up the extra and rent the pickup and the trailer so it will be off the ground. Better safe than sorry with a 100 mi trip and a beautiful Datsun this time of year. Been BRUTAL weather this month.