521 gear ratio options??

AMK521

Car side gears are usually 23 spline to match the axles. Trucks are 29 spline so swapping the truck side gears into the H-190 will allow a car diff to work in a truck. Or the other way.

The Roadster, 510 goon, 810 goon, Maxima goon, and the S110 ('82-'83 200sx) all use a 23 spline side gear. The first year (half year actually) S12 (200sx) also uses an H-190 differential but with truck 29 spline side gears.

Just to clarify (I have a 610 goin) if someone sold me a h190 truck centre in the search of more favourable gears, is it completely useless to me without the side gears to suit?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify (I have a 610 goin) if someone sold me a h190 truck centre in the search of more favourable gears, is it completely useless to me without the side gears to suit?

If your 610 goon has an H190 rearend, you just use the side gears out of that gearset and put them in the 720 gearset with the better gearing, and then install that gearset in your 610 goon.

• Like 1

Datsun engines are a lot more happy at higher RPM's than most people driving them think they are.

Towing a mega load last week I drove with my foot on the floor in third....42-44rpms 4 18 miles. Huge wind drag.....

didn't miss a lick....burned off a bit of the high temp paint on my ex. when in doubt....twist it!

I used to tow a two horse trailer with my 521.  I live in Oregon, and one time coming home, down (west) the Columbia Gorge , the wind was blowing up (to the east) in the Columbia Gorge.  I had a full gas tank, in Hermiston, and I think I had to fill up again in Hood river, or the Dalles.  The truck got 11 MPG in that stretch.   The engine spent a few hours above 5,000 RPM, in second gear.

• Like 2

In comparison the Z24 is 134 @ 2,800 rpms.

This is why I prefer a Z in my work truck!!! Grunt/go  where it is useable and fuel friendly. I am going to toss in a set of 3.8 butt gears in my l20b720 just to see if I like it. She scoots runnin' light but a bit anemic loaded.....got 2 keep it twistin' 2 make power.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so at 65 ish mph the rpm is at 3500

What gear ratio is that and is that ok for a ka24de to be driven like 20 min at that pace ?

Does not sound like its struggling either not even when I'm doing 75 it sounds quiet but im pushing 4000 rpm

I forgot my tire size but I think it's 195-55r15 or 195 65 r15