Roof Rack School?

fisch

Hey folks, I am hoping to pick up a '70 510 wagon this weekend. It has no roofrack but I'd like the option of one.

I see NOS ones for F10s and 810's that might do the trick on ebay. I prefer it totally attached for looks, but understand having the option of removable has its perks. But I have a couple basic questions.

Install: Does the headliner need to be out so you can get underneath. THe ones I am seeing are not gutter clamp racks. THe dime I am looking at currently has the headliner half installed, so now would be the tiime to do it.

Hauling: Does anyone have a sweet way to use the vintage ones as a bike rack where multiple bikes can stand up? I am guessing i could fab something up, but wondering who's done what?

I prefer the look of the OG racks, but I would like to haul bicycles is an aesthetically pleasing manor. So maybe a Yamika is a better option for me as far as that goes? I could dig around for a gutter clamp vintage universal one too, I think folks have used VW ones. But again, thinking of bikes.

And cause you like pics, bikes on Datsuns (These are obviously modern racks. Can't find pics of bikes on vintage Datsun racks.):

USDMJam2011-53-6539_NissanBluebirdDatsun

rDSC_9303-800x533.jpg

My Bike with my 4-door. 1970s Yamaha Motobike

Datsun_510_Chapman5Yamaha.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend one that clamps to the drip rail.  if you use one that puts holes in the roof, well you PUT HOLES IN THE ROOF!  It will leak.  If not now, later.

Just the kind of input I was hoping for. THanks Daniel!

I have one with holes in my roof, and live in Rainy Oregon. Never has leaked. I did have my headliner out when I did it, and that helped... They go on with metal screws, so no nuts. I then siliconed underneath.

But now Im thinking of removing my roof rack, for that slick top look again...

WP_000111.jpg

• Like 1

My rack came with rubber stuff for the top side, under every foot. I never intended the rack for holding anything, so strength wasnt a worry. And really, sealing the inside means you didnt seal the outside well enough, and therefore you have a rust issue.

I kinda look at all these racks in one basic way, if the roof has the channels/ribs with stainless steel strips with rubber strips in them, then by all means drill the holes and mount the rack, as the roof was made for that type of rack,  if it is smooth on the top, then leave it alone and get the drip rail type rack that is removable, as one day you might consider hauling something on the top, and without the channels/ribs, it could cave in/dent the roof.

I prefer & have made a few racks that clamp to the drip rails. I could make you a trick one Fisch but your on the wrong coast LoL.

BTW the blue wagon used to belong to Datrod & pic was taken at JCCS..way behind you can see the roof of my 320 [turquoise]

I prefer & have made a few racks that clamp to the drip rails. I could make you a trick one Fisch but your on the wrong coast LoL.

BTW the blue wagon used to belong to Datrod & pic was taken at JCCS..way behind you can see the roof of my 320 [turquoise]

Pac I remembered you made sexy racks, just strolled through your thread today actually. Wrong coast indeed! Good to hear from you brother!

Drip rail / clamp on.    I put a clamp on [drip rail] on by 1965 Nissan  Nova Station Wagon and never regreted this choice!  The only down sign was a high wing sector of travel  whilte  attended an Air Force School in Alabama [during one of the worst winter that Montana had endured]  My moma didn"t raise a child child] wineter in Montana or Alabama [when the roaches were more or less dormant].  No problem!  Some where between News Years Day and Madchwe just happened to have started a second child!  If it's a boy , let[s call him "Montgomery" was the first inspiration, but we really named him after my Father!

Drip rail / clamp on.    I put a clamp on [drip rail] on by 1965 Nissan  Nova Station Wagon and never regreted this choice!  The only down sign was a high wing sector of travel  white  attended an Air Force School in Alabama [during one of the worst winter that Montana had endured]  My moma didn"t raise a child child] winter in Montana or Alabama [when the roaches were more or less dormant].  No problem!  Some where between News Years Day and Marh we  happened to have started a second child!  If it's a boy , let[s call him "Montgomery" was the first inspiration, but we really named him after my Father!