Finally got back into Datsuns.

spdcrazy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's so nice to see another one saved ! Looking good , can't be very many in your neck of the woods .

So few that I have only ever seen one Datsun. A B210. Although I have a few internet friends around that have a couple. I'm sue as I drive mine more will come outa the woodwork.

Excited to be driving a Datsun again. Now of only my computer wasn't ancient so I can post more pics.

• Like 2

Also replaced the master cylinder today, but my Better half became sick therefore it needs to be bleed still.

Bought a DASHMAT that came in today. i honestly didn't care to much about what material it was, just wanted it to be black, so i bought the more expensive one on summit racing, and OMG its awesome. almost looks like neoprene, great quality and it was less than 40$. i'm happy.

• Like 2

Took my datsun to work for the first time the other day. on the way home i started to notice a loudish buzzing sound every once in awhile. and then the backfiring and lack of power came on...  found this when i pulled the dizzy cap.. time to go EL. 

https://fbcdn-video-n-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/10976253_10204936524865652_376947680_n.mp4?rl=367&vabr=204&oh=1ac9566a8bffeb3bae398ebf44e87c91&oe=54ED0F6C&__gda__=1424820088_c0780e6c476114c27ddcaddcd671b379

• Like 1

yup the bushing worn and most likely the springs are off also.

dual point dizzys should be free. I got a couple I think in a box

on the master cylinders(most made in taiwan) I notice one has to cut the threaded rod as they are sometimes too long as the push the pedal as you set them in on the firewall. Best to buy a spare as I only get 5 years max out of them.

if you can find a "WorldPac" dealer they sell alot jap made parts

• Like 2

yup the bushing worn and most likely the springs are off also.

dual point dizzys should be free. I got a couple I think in a box

on the master cylinders(most made in taiwan) I notice one has to cut the threaded rod as they are sometimes too long as the push the pedal as you set them in on the firewall. Best to buy a spare as I only get 5 years max out of them.

if you can find a "WorldPac" dealer they sell alot jap made parts

Oh i love world pac. I used to work at carquest but now they are bought out (getting bought out) by advanced, heard that they are also getting the world pac side.

I want to go electric ignition. just posted a thread about where to find the "remote ignitor box" on a 78 620. don't want to ask in more than one place. Hopefully someone will help me, which will help the next guy trying to search of it. 

I just last night figured out i need to cut the rod on the master cylinder, built up pressure in my front right brake until i had to bleed it off to make it home. 

• Like 1

I just last night figured out i need to cut the rod on the master cylinder, built up pressure in my front right brake until i had to bleed it off to make it home.

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 521s most liek it should be all the brakes as its only a 1 resivor. so i guess that brake is tighter than the others.

scew nut on then cut what you think you need off then unscrew nut so it cleans the threads as you pull it off

Most stores dont sell World Pac. Seems theres a race to the bottom now. Carquest had better parts but notice the taiwan/china stuff comming in also.

harder to find comeple Jap made timming sets

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry for the lack of pictures, we all know how much we like the visuals!

The gf got a job therefore i have been spending more time on the datsun, and it also needs to be my daily driver. 

I lowered it with 3in blocks in the back, cut the bumpstops down, dropped it two splines in the front.

scored a oem fuel pump off a 79 620 at the junkyard, installed that, although i need to reclock the top to get the nipples where they should be, (any idea where i can get a new rubber diaphragm before i unbolt it? i'm afraid i'll tear it by taking the top off).

also scored a 620 steering wheel that replaced my very worn out 521 wheel. also the center console came home and fits pretty well, got some hacking to do on it and a shift boot to make first tho. 

Then installed some aluminum 15x7's on it, fits perfectly! very happy with the fitment, some 185/55/15's for a hundred bucks and she is sitting pretty.

i have been battling a idling issue for the past couple days, but thats fixed finally. had a loose allen bolt on the webber adapter to intake. caused a whistling sound as it sucked in air, thought i had a squealing belt from the sound, but the symptoms didn't match. 

next up is a smaller battery, the group 65 in there is a bit close to the fuel pump. and then the grey primer is coming off, hopefully the green OE paint is in ok shape. Patina here we come

got new ruber brake hoses installed and brakes bled. had no idea that only 1/4in adjustment in the brake master cylinder rod would make it from a two pump stop to half of one pump!

small tach is mounted on the steering column and will be wired tomorrow.

installed new low beam conversion headlights, came from amazon for 35$ but what i ordered were the Genessi brand and Autopal arrived, not mad at all. light output is amazing, and well focused, and the high beams are "night and day" difference.. (see what i did there haha)

still trying to get the primer off the original paint, acetone did nothing, graffeti remover works but very slowly and will cost over 100$ in rattle cans. gonna try a 1000 or 800 wet sand next,

It still overheats slowly while cruising higher RPM's on the freeway. maybe 60mph. not sure if a bigger radiator will solve it or if its just to high RPM's for the gears, 4 spd, and cruising speeds i want to go.

• Like 1

Did you try easy off oven cleaner to remove the paint?  Get the name brand stuff...

It should not overheat at 60mph with stock components.  I'll spin 4k rpm all day on mine and it doesn't overheat.  Stays at 190 unless I'm pushing it hard up a grade, then it starts to climb.

• Like 2

In the 1970's, I used to tow a two horse trailer, and two full sized Appaloosa horses with a 521.  Initially, L-16 engine with stock four speed.  that got upgraded to a L-18, and a 3.321 first gear five speed.

If I was climbing a 6% grade, in second gear, close to WOT, 5,000 RPM, in Summer heat, sometimes the temp would rise above the mid point on the temp gauge.  I would turn on the heater in those situations, and the temp gauge would MAYBE get as high as 3/4, between the "normal" line in the middle of the gauge, and the red mark.

Check ignition timing.  Flush the cooling system.  Get a Nissan thermostat.   DO NOT get a new non OEM thermostat from some auto parts store.  Spend the money on a Nissan thermostat.  Yes, they are better.

• Like 1

Did you try easy off oven cleaner to remove the paint? Get the name brand stuff...

Wow. I took the plunge and tried it. You were correct. Shoulda done it sooner. So easy. Took a few coats. And it will eat through the original paint as it did in a few spots. But it works. I sprayed it on heavy. Waiting about 20min. Then to the car wash. Powered the paint right off!!! Pics when I'm done.

Now I gotta figure out how I want to finish off the areas of bondo. A door and a fender have a bit.

Thank you Matt!!!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

been a bit since i updated this. umm... today i redid my front brakes, new shoes, drums, and spring kits. new wheel cylinder as well being it had the stud pulled out and was "free floating". other seems to be in good shape.. took it for a small test drive, and pop... blew the right rear wheel cylinder, so that will be tomorrow's project. also installed new brake hoses all around a few weeks ago.

also had a one piece driveshaft made, still need to adjust my pinion angle as i'm getting a vibration at highway speeds.

new shocks on the front are installed

"new" old factory L20b fuel pump installed, still want to rebuild it and clock it appropriately 

Tach installed on the steering column looks like it was meant to be there

eagerly awaiting a outside drivers door handle, one fender emblem, passenger door pull, and one tailgate latch.

Getting a set of Z'd lower control arms in the near future, and planning on c notching the frame at the same time. 

Got a new bench seat, but i need it recovered before i install. and i want to clean and seal the floor before i do that. 

polished the grill and headlight bezels. painted the lil checkered bits with gloss black model paint as well. now i need to removed all and paint the core support black to show off the polish better. 

need to finish building the heater hose so i have defrost, (suppose to rain/snow later this week)

other things on the list include, but not limited to:

exhaust

modify my 620 center console to allow the heater to function

change the mounting of my rear bumper to sit closer to the truck and not stick out so far, paint it black as well

finish removing the primer

cover the bond with factory colored paint and distress

seal the paint, satin gloss maybe?

plastids the wheels deep red with a white stripe from a motorcycle lip kit

adjust front bumper to sit flush not frown

fix oil pressure light

install aftermartet radiator in time for summer heat

new rubber on doors and window frames

find correct fuel cap, (orielly's one is a bit small, doesn't seal well)

battery tie down

bushings, swap and tension rod at least

install new UCA bushings by Mklotz

find smaller lug nuts than 3/4 socket size (tight fit with my wheels)

gears so i can cruise highway speeds

remove antenna

5spd swap

l20b swap

the list is more for me than any of you. i need to stay focused and work on it more steadily than i have. I just received official word that i have been hired for the city of Lakewood at a Police Dispatcher. next is a new house, and then i can start some of the more costly projects, like that 20b swap, and Z'd arms and such. excited for the future!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

These last couple days I've gotten quite a bit done.

Battery tie down made

Re clocked 620 mechanical fuel pump

Degreasers engine

Wired tachometer

Under coated fender wells

Installed UCA bushings

Plastidiped part of the grill

Painted radiator core support

Installed seat cover

Did some cutting on the 620 center console and Installed

Removed broken antenna.

Build a heater hose and installed

New radiator hoses

Painted rear bumper and installed, straight.

Installed window rubber trim

Attempted to tint the back window. Failed miserably. I'll leave that up to the pros.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. I feel kinda dumb. I had some battery cable issues so I pulled the battery and began replacing them when I noticed the stamp on the side of my block. Says L20b. Someone swapped it before me and I never thought to look. Also has the a87 head. Was aware of that tho. Unknown if it's a peanut or not.

Also took my dat to the cuscc car show. Over 2000 cars showed up. 2 510s. And 2-3 z cars. Only Datsun pickup. Was a lot of fun. And I got a lot of looks for my "respect your elders" sticker on my rear window.

Just moved into a new house. With a small garage. So let the projects begin! Like a 5 spd swap. C notch. And zed LCA

• Like 1