r200 diff making klunk noise

Dr. Octagon

Hi guys trying to do some brain storming on my latest issue. I have a 260z with an rb20det swap and an r200 diff LSD out of an 300zx turbo. I also have CV's (wolfcreek) to replace the old half shafts. Here's the issue... I get a loud clunk noise from my differential but it only happens on an up shift with the clutch fully engaged never on a down shift.... Any ideas are welcome. Thanks community.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clunks letting the pedal up when accelerating? Easy stuff you can check yourself, more or less in order of likely hood

Main driveshaft U joints bad. Is the diff pinion flange wobbly or loose? It should turn only, but does it 'flop around'?

CVs loose or damaged.

Exhaust pipe hitting something.

Check the diff mounting bolts, the mustache bar and it's bushings on the back.

Has the rear crossmember been modified to correct camber if lowered? 

Loose bottom strut mount.

Loose control arm.

Loose transmission mount.

Wheel lugs loose.

Check the diff oil level.

If clutch LSD the clutches and discs can dry out if primarily driven in straight lines like on the highway. Probably not this but again costs nothing. Drive in a figure 8 in a parking lot, at least 10 times. This will work the oil up between the plates.

What's left is going to be inside the diff but at least the mustache bar and the rear cover removed, after draining, and be inspected. .

• Like 1