Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta do a few things before tomorrow, but I'll be there and it'll be clean! And hell yes to the rear end piece, I'm strapped on cash until I find a new place but maybe we can work out a trade?

• Like 2

I had vibration coming from the carrier bearing bushing, so I cut about 12 2" pieces of 5/8" fuel line and shoved then in all the way around, then ran zip ties through to secure them. It doesn't vibrate and slap around at low speeds now, but it does from 45-60mph pretty bad. I read a write up on another forum with this exact technique and they said it worked perfect, but it seems like it's too tight now.

Another though was maybe I need shims between the lowering blocks to level out the rear end? It didn't have this problem for over a month being lowered though, so it's hard to say.

I don't want to replace it due to all reviews saying they're not worth it because they deteriorate quickly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I replaced mine myself. I used a DeWalt impact driver for the big nut, a big bearing separator and 3-arm gear puller. Most of it was cheapo Harbor Freight tools but they worked out. Definitely needed the impact driver though. Also, the diesel boot is slightly different (smaller) than the gas-engine one, so make sure you order the right one because Rockauto lists them all in the same area.

• Like 2

Got the carrier bearing/bushing on and now it's smooth sailing, but I do need to do u joints soon.

Before

IMG_20150414_184808194_zpsxkbvpxjj.jpg

For future reference, all I used was a vise, breaker bar, hammer, and ratchet. So for all of you without air/power tools thinking it'll be a pain, it's inanely easy with hand tools.

Have someone hold the bushing/bearing, lightly tap top of the shaft and hold the driveshaft. Three light taps and it was out.

IMG_20150414_192839214_HDR_zpsditrhfgu.j

And all installed. I got up late, worked all day, ran around looking at apartments on lunch, then instantly started on this after work with only one granola bar in my system, so I was a little shaky.

IMG_20150414_201507272_HDR_zps81chiitv.j

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't done anything in a while, just been thinking about where I want to take it. I've decided to put a different gearing in the rear diff, get a 32/36 Weber, and hopefully find a good deal on an exhaust because mine has a few holes and I want to delete the cat.

I'm thinking either 4.11 or 4.38 but I want some opinions. I won't be doing much highway driving, I have another car for daily/trips, so I want this thing to have some get up but I don't want first gear to be damn near useless either.

Again it's an 84 with a z24 and 3.73 gears.

• Like 2

Haven't done anything in a while, just been thinking about where I want to take it. I've decided to put a different gearing in the rear diff, get a 32/36 Weber, and hopefully find a good deal on an exhaust because mine has a few holes and I want to delete the cat.

I'm thinking either 4.11 or 4.38 but I want some opinions. I won't be doing much highway driving, I have another car for daily/trips, so I want this thing to have some get up but I don't want first gear to be damn near useless either.

i  would just do the 4:11's , it will work fin for what your doing with the truck . and it will still be fine on the road . 

• Like 2

That's about 11% change, and what I just did on my 710. It's really great in town. I notice that instead of stepping on the gas in 2nd and 3rd and waiting for the speed to increase, it now speeds up as you step down on it. No need to floor it now. I've basically removed 5th gear. Now on the highway, my 5th is revving where 4th used to.

What brand is your carrier bearing? I need one asap. Just replaced my whole front brake assembly. and that was my next step. 

Take note that the bearing itself rarely fails. It's the rubber dough-nut that rots away and the driveshaft wobbles and vibrates.

That's about 11% change, and what I just did on my 710. It's really great in town. I notice that instead of stepping on the gas in 2nd and 3rd and waiting for the speed to increase, it now speeds up as you step down on it. No need to floor it now. I've basically removed 5th gear. Now on the highway, my 5th is revving where 4th used to.

Take note that the bearing itself rarely fails. It's the rubber dough-nut that rots away and the driveshaft wobbles and vibrates.

Thanks for the simple breakdown datzenmike, that's the info I was looking for. Did you use 4.11 or 4.38 gears? That's pretty much the increase I want to achieve, I rarely use 5th gear unless I go to the guitar shop, which is less than a mile on the highway. I have a feeling I'll need to rebuild my carb or find a Weber to really have fun, it likes to hesitate if I step into it much.

And scurvy, if you can just order a bushing from rockauto. I needed it because our other car needed work, so my truck was all we had, and auto parts stores around here only sell the assembly with a bearing. My bearing I took off was still good, it was just the bushing that ripped.

• Like 1

Thanks for the simple breakdown datzenmike, that's the info I was looking for. Did you use 4.11 or 4.38 gears? That's pretty much the increase I want to achieve, I rarely use 5th gear unless I go to the guitar shop, which is less than a mile on the highway. I have a feeling I'll need to rebuild my carb or find a Weber to really have fun, it likes to hesitate if I step into it much.

My 710 came with 4 speed and 3.70 gears. It's now got a mid ratio zx 5 speed and 4.11 gears. So 11.08% RPM increase in all gears making 5th more useful in town. Eleven % pretty much gives the same RPMs as 4th when I'm in 5th now. Second and third are now my favorite gears in town with increased pulling power without stepping in the secondary.

When you find that set of 4.11s be sure to get the speedometer drive from that 5 speed transmission (automatic pinion drives don't fit) to keep your speedo accurate. Failing this count your speedo pinion gear teeth and try to find one that has two more teeth on it to slow the reading down. Example... if you have an 18 tooth find a 20.

• Like 1

My 710 came with 4 speed and 3.70 gears. It's now got a mid ratio zx 5 speed and 4.11 gears. So 11.08% RPM increase in all gears making 5th more useful in town. Eleven % pretty much gives the same RPMs as 4th when I'm in 5th now. Second and third are now my favorite gears in town with increased pulling power without stepping in the secondary.

When you find that set of 4.11s be sure to get the speedometer drive from that 5 speed transmission (automatic pinion drives don't fit) to keep your speedo accurate. Failing this count your speedo pinion gear teeth and try to find one that has two more teeth on it to slow the reading down. Example... if you have an 18 tooth find a 20.

Thanks datzenmike, getting more excited to find the gears hearing what it can do.

So didn't some 4x4's come with 4.11? I've heard some automatics also did, but then I'll just have to search for the speedo gear. Are there any other older or newer trucks that came with 4.11?

Early (maybe up to '82?) 4x4 and 2wd used the same drive shaft size and U joints but then they were made larger. I found out the hard way that the yoke on the differential cannot be put on a 4x4 differential. They are splined and the splines are different. Early 4x4s used a 4.375 H-190 and later Z24 4x4s were 4.11.C-200.

Of the 2wd, the...

'80 long bed standard came with 4.11 as did some Cab/Chassis options

'81-'82 gas engine automatics had 4.11s

If you can find a '79 620 standard 4 or 5 speed, they also came with H-190 4.11s

• Like 2

Anyone with 4.11 gears and speedo drive to spare is welcome to pm me with details :)

I think I'll probably wait until after Canby to do it though, it's kind of pointless to switch it right before I take a trip.

Got some Ratsun and Datslocos stickers on the truck finally

IMG_20150527_090719569_HDR_zpsittssmdr.j

IMG_20150527_090737922_HDR_zpsfufdhj7h.j

• Like 2

The truck is looking good man! nice work!

Thanks! Got a few more goodies for the interior coming from Al today. I've also got a paint idea in the works, it'll probably end up happening today haha

• Like 2