Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Yeah no kidding! On our way out there I probably told him 10 times how lucky he is to live way out there.

I'm stoked on it, took it for another little drive and its a lot more comfortable than the 720. Doesn't feel like you're riding on the frame and is much quieter.

I'll trade ya the hardbody for it Farmer haha

I feel like the car selling and buying market isn't the greatest during the holidays, someone will want those cars by this spring!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well we finally moved and I have a garage to store the truck and work on it more comfortably!

20170116_163235_zpsnf1d2bkp.jpg

Draynor is going to come down sometime in Feb or March and we are going to run a full new exhaust since my cobbled together one has had some issues. I'm still deciding what I want to use for a muffler but I'm upgrading it to 2 1/4 the whole way back no matter what. We are also going to remove the bed and c notch the frame so I can finally go a bit lower. I still have about an inch before bump stops in the rear and could go about 2 inches lower up front, but it rides so terrible. So it will also be getting drop spindles so I can keep the ride quality decent. I have the money set aside for everything I just need to order it and start the process, so updates won't be too far behind this post!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Haven't done anything to the truck in a while, still deciding what direction I want to go and can't seem to come to a conclusion. I need some input, so here's a few of my ideas...

1, sell it or trade it for an older Datsun because I really want a 620, 510, or possibly a z car because my dad had one when he was younger.

2, have Draynor do all the work we agreed on and notch the frame, probably go 4 link and coilovers front and rear. Then it will sit a little more proper with less wheel gap.

3, lift the front higher than stock, put the rear at stock, and go for a mini trophy truck style build. I've been leaning toward this since the truck isn't super straight and has already been driven lowered for a couple years, not comfortably at that...

So give me reasons for which way I should go, I want to start working on something again!

• Like 1

1 is dumb. You should never sell a Datsun to buy another Datsun. Only increasing the size of the herd is acceptable. :)

2 is ok, so long as you are part of the build.

3 is cool. Uncommon, could be built to drive fairly comfortably, and she stays in your hands.

• Like 3

1 is dumb. You should never sell a Datsun to buy another Datsun. Only increasing the size of the herd is acceptable. :)

2 is ok, so long as you are part of the build.

3 is cool. Uncommon, could be built to drive fairly comfortably, and she stays in your hands.

Haha I wish I had room for more than one! I would definitely be part of the build if it went low, he would be doing all the welds mainly. I'm leaning toward the last one the most, but need to do my research and save some money to buy quality shocks, tires, and metal for all the fab work.

How much taller is the 4x4 shock tower compared to 2wd? Just for shits...

• Like 1

Get Tom's old 620 ;)

He beat on it too much for me to want it haha. And I would rather not have a long bed so I can have more garage space. The 720 is squeezed against the bench.

I'd have to find a cheap shell or someone willing to trade me a 620 shell for the 720 shell because I really want to keep the lz. But we'll see what happens, I may go the prerunner route also.

• Like 2

Haven't driven the truck in a a few weeks so I took a cold start video. Exhaust rattles a bit still but it starts right up everytime.

I was talking to Draynor and I'm going to stick to the original plan of c notching and going lower. It will get drop spindles up front, new shocks all around because I'm pretty sure mine are original...and Belltech leafs so I dont have to use big blocks, if any. And new exhaust to tuck it up a bit more and step it all up to 2.25 all the way back. I was thinking about goimg back to stock wheels with 620 caps on them, but I think I'm going to keep what I've got and possibly do small flares. Even if I rolled the fenders they would end up rubbing when its lower.

• Like 2

Switched it over to storage insurance for now, so I decided I'm going to start into it. Going to remove the bed, have a few beers, and stare at it until it hopefully tells me what to do. Prerunner idea is still floating around, but I would like to see it sit where I've always wanted it to. Hopefully the truck tells me when I've had enough to drink!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You just need to get committed. The bird in the hand, man! Make your list, check it off. sooner than you think, your list is done.

One other thing, and this is a bit of wisdom passed to me by a very savvy guitar restoration guy: “Whatever else it may be that is good, tradition is also letting dead people make your decisions for you.“ Make your own truck happen. A 720 kc is way more practical anyway, unless you are a small person.

• Like 4

Thanks for that! I've been thinking about it more and I'm going to hold on to it for at least this whole summer while I do more work and see how I'm feeling once I get it more to where I want it. I still plan to do the c notch and spindles up front, then all new shocks, brakes, and steering parts.

Are you a guitarist yourself or you just know the guy?

• Like 1

Well the other day I was finally able to go grab my z24 from my old house. Now that I've got it back I've been talking to my machinist about getting some work done to build an lz24 with a ported head.

I currently have 2 w58 (one being on my lz22) and a w53 and I'm curious what my best option will be. I know people like the u67 but are the w53 and w58 worth porting, or would it be best to find a u67 to get the work done on it? Also I'm planning on going with oversized ka pistons and getting the block walls bored over that little bit so its all fresh. Would there be a better option of piston? I'm going to be buying all new so I want to get what will be best. And if ka pistons would be best, will z24 rods work or will I need to use ka?

There will be many more questions but that will give me a general idea of what I need to start ordering.

• Like 1

Ka truck pistons should work fine on your rods, though i believe the width of the rods may be different. 240sx pistons are floating wrist pin. 240sx rods won't fit z24 crank properly.

• Like 2