Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Well I got it running with the choke off once it warms up a bit. But with any amount of throttle it falls on its face. I checked all the jets, all were perfectly clean but one main jet was missing the o ring at the top so I threw one I had on there and that's when I got it to idle without choke. I checked the float level and it was spot on according to a chart I found, which is 15mm for the 7g floats, 16mm for 8g, 17mm for 10g. I have the 7g floats. I took out every piece I could to see if there were any clogs but there's nkthing. It runs much better turned out about 4.5 times, so I'm thinking I need to look for a jet kit.

Can't wait to see this, ya side draft will need to warm up before you get on the gas, I let mine warm up for about 2 to 3 minutes before I pull out of the garage....or it will fall on its face lol, once the motor gets to operating temp it will be a beast, keep an eye on plugs and ears open for detonation, depending on weather and atmospheric conditions you will find yourself swapping jets, I haven't touched mine since last summer, found the sweet spot, the fun is just about to start for you Rhino :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see this, ya side draft will need to warm up before you get on the gas, I let mine warm up for about 2 to 3 minutes before I pull out of the garage....or it will fall on its face lol, once the motor gets to operating temp it will be a beast, keep an eye on plugs and ears open for detonation, depending on weather and atmospheric conditions you will find yourself swapping jets, I haven't touched mine since last summer, found the sweet spot, the fun is just about to start for you Rhino :thumbup:

Thank you Diego! I can't wait to drive it! I'm still doing some research on where I can find the style jets I need but I'm being optimistic about it. I really don't want to ruin the ones I have since they seem so hard to find I know someone would love to have them. Maybe they'd even have the ones I need! Its pretty much at a stand still until I get jets. It'll rev up a bit but you have to go really slow and it still cuts out. Its squirting gas but I asked Busta a few questions on the topic and he suggested I look for a different size accel pump, which seems to be much easier to locate. So I have one of those ordered along with a rebuild kit, and I'll keep searching for jets in the meantime.

• Like 2

Oh and I know where to order the jets, straight from Italy and prices are very good, I ordered last summer...was less than $40 for 3 size sets, you need 2 in each set, they have to be matching pairs or won't run right.

Can you post a link so I can get them ordered? Ill pm my number

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I took a video of it running. I took it apart again and went through it with the diagram and noticed the spring that sits on the inside against the accel pump was on the wrong side of the diaphragm. It did nothing though so I'm still thinking it's jetting. Just want more opinions...

• Like 2

So I've been doing some research on dellortos and just carbs in general...I've come to the conclusion that even if the jets were too small, it would be able to rev up more than it is. I'm thinking its the accel pump but I'm torn because I'm positive it shoots gas, I'm thinking it may just be the wrong size for my application. Which would cause it to run the way it is... The only other thing Mike H5wagon suggested was trying to hook up a vacuum advance or retime it, but the the advance capped and it running perfect before, I don't see either of those causing this issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I hate seeing it sit with a fresh motor.

• Like 1

Any input? I'm to the point where I might throw my old downdraft back on and save until I can afford a new carb. There's absolutely something wrong with this carb and its getting old changing things with no change in performance.

• Like 1

Well I've decided to shelf the side draft until I can afford new. I'm going to sell the dellorto to a vw guy I know and put it toward the new one. I'm thinking a weber for accessibility to parts and most likely step it up to a 45 also.

The 32/36 will go back on so I have something to drive, but I'm going to rebuild it, reset the float, and make sure the linkage is working properly. I'm pretty certain it ran weird because the linkage for the secondary was sticking, if I can remedy that it'll be much nicer driving it while I wait.

• Like 1

If the secondary linkage is sticking, check the primary throttle shaft for wobble. I have one where the primary throttle shaft moved laterally when the throttle cable pulled. This bound up the secondary linkage so it wouldn't actuate.

The primary throttle shaft bores wear into an oval allowing that lateral movement. This also causes a vacuum leak.

There is a simple repair using bearings. The Weber is already cast to accept them.

See/purchase them here.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5949

Quick vid of install/purpose of them

Of course, If you don't have wobbly throttle shaft, this was a novel about nothing. And it might even a novel I've written you before...

Oh well, ignore me if necessary.

• Like 4

You very well may have put this info in here before, and I am aware of the bearings, but thank you for writing it out. I do have a question from it as well so it wasn't a waste of time!

You say it bound the secondary, did it create a spot when pushing the gas pedal where it would hit a wall and not go past it unless you literally kick it? If so, that's absolutely what I'm dealing with. Not too excited to put it back on with this issue, but at least it will drive.

Getting rid of the delorto, and I forgot about a set of wheels I needed to put on Craigslist. So if both of those sell I should have more than enough money to buy a brand new weber 45.

• Like 1

You say it bound the secondary, did it create a spot when pushing the gas pedal where it would hit a wall and not go past it unless you literally kick it?

Pretty much yeah. When mine was doing it, I never even realized I should have been able to push the pedal farther, it locked up so hard. It only opened the secondary maybe 1/8 of the way before locking up.

• Like 3

Threw the 32/36 back on but readjusted the float which was way off somehow (never checked it, got it from a buddy that said it was low miles) and retuned it. The shaft issue hasn't popped up yet, so I'm hoping it somehow cured itself but I haven't driven it much so we'll see.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Haven't been very active in my thread...took a video of the lz exhaust for some kind of update. I have the 32/36 back on it but its still acting up, so I've been thinking more about the dellorto or possibly getting a new carb altogether. I'm fairly certain from what I've read on the dellorto page that the carb I have it set up completely wrong so I'd have to replace most of its parts, which seems more worth it to just go new at that point... The 210 has been down so I've been daily driving the truck again. Plan was to drive the 210 while the truck was down but the 210 got a wiring poltergeist then shorted on some hidden open wires and lit the engine bay on fire which I just happened to be prepared with water. So I'm pretty much done with that thing, going to sell it off and look for a late 80s early 90s Sentra as a daily so I can actually do what I want with this thing. Anyway here's the exhaust...

I've been thinking more on the carb situation and came across a kit that turns a 32/36 into a synchronized carb and its got a lot of positive feedback. It comes with the linkage and an accel pump jet that feeds both venturis. If I end up getting it I think I'll do a write up or video on a before and after.

• Like 3

Ordered that 32/36 sync kit, pretty excited to see what it does. I have a few sets of jets so I can tune it, a few of the reviews said you will likely need to change air, main, and idle jets. I'll let you guys know what I think and do the write up if its worthy.

• Like 2

Well I got it installed but I'm having some issues. I'm already talking to Craig about it but figured we might as well get some more heads on the topic.

So I kept the idle jets the same at 60 primary 50 secondary. The mains are both 140, and the air corrector are 180 primary, 170 secondary. I found a post on an opel forum and a guy used this same setup with the kit and got great results with an idle around 1000. As soon as I start mine it spikes up to 3000 and won't come down at all. I checked all of my vacuum connections and the base of the carb for leaks but it appears to be good. The idle screw it set all the way out, and I can turn the mixture screw all the way in and its still sitting at 3000. I made sure the float wasn't stuck, the choke wasn't getting in the way and the throttle shafts have no play. With both butterflies closed all the way and both sides of the jet barely pumping fuel it just sits at 3000. I'm completely stumped as to what it could be. No one else stated having this issue when installed. Any suggestions will be helpful. I will post pictures after work.

• Like 1