Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I bought two gallons of delo before I dropped it in so I had it on hand. I'm pretty much ready for the show. If I do the trailer it won't be painted.

• Like 2

i'm so on the wall about heading out there friday night or saturday. i took saturday off, so i'm super tempted to head up, but i'll only be getting tabs on the truck on friday and i haven't put more than a mile on it since getting it home and getting it running. it's about a 400 mile round trip, would be quite the maiden voyage! 

• Like 4

i'm so on the wall about heading out there friday night or saturday. i took saturday off, so i'm super tempted to head up, but i'll only be getting tabs on the truck on friday and i haven't put more than a mile on it since getting it home and getting it running. it's about a 400 mile round trip, would be quite the maiden voyage!

Do it man! Just bring all the tools you know you'd need to do roadside repairs and you'll be set! It'd be cool to meet you, and you know you'd have a good time checking out a bunch of cool Datsun's and meeting some of us on here.

• Like 2

500 miles or so is what I do. Delo 400 is cheap.

Metal contamination will probably be minimal after your first 3k.

That, and don't freak out if you see metal on your plug magnet...as long as there aren't actual pieces of course, I changed mine at 250 and then after another 350 because I wanted to be sure everything was ok, on the second oil change there was very little residue on the plug magnet.

• Like 2

Took it to work today and it did great! Right after work my buddy came over and I took him for a spin. Luckily we only got about 8 blocks away in my neighborhood but when I got on it, it blew a small elbow water hose going to the heater core. I'm going to pick up another one tomorrow morning so it's a new piece rather than another old one thrown on. I will probably just get all new hoses to be sure I won't run into any cooling problems.

We hooked the heater core hoses up one going to a port on the timing cover, the other coming from the side of the block. Is that where they should be?

• Like 2

Went and picked up a couple new elbows and a bunch of line to keep in the truck. I realized the elbow that we ended up putting on was off the AB valve, so it wasn't quite strong enough to keep going, but it held up for 36 miles!

• Like 1

On my 86 King Cab when I changed to a Weber I deleted the AB valves.

I did also on the z24, but when I found that elbow hose connected to it, it was the perfect fit for what we needed for a water line on the lz. Just wasn't braided hose so it blew out the side after not too long. It's all soft and way oversized in the middle haha

• Like 1

Took the truck out to rats with dats and it did great both ways! Has great power, but the carb is having issues when it gets warm. The main throttle shaft has been sticking a tiny bit and the secondary isn't opening when it should so it always studders before it gets on it.

I would love to get a pair of su's and send them to ztherapy, but it's a little out of my price range after building the motor and having to save for a few vacations later this year. So as an alternative I'm going to just get a 38/38. I know a few people that run them on z24's and Hobo runs one on little miss without issue. This motor feels like it has way more torque and could handle a bigger carb, so I'm going to try it out until I can start saving for some SU's later on. I'm excited to drive it with that carb and this way more free flowing exhaust.

• Like 2

Well I'm back to daily driving the truck and it's running great! So much more enjoyable to drive now. I took a little video the other day but it's right along Main St so I couldn't really get on it fully. I gave it a little through 2nd and 3rd but didn't want to risk getting pulled over, cops hide all over that area.

• Like 3

Nice! When you coming down for the bed and tailgate?

With all the plans I have this summer/fall I'm not sure it'll even be this year! Haha, I would love to make that trip though. I've never been down to the SW, but I've heard it's beautiful!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I found some SU's on Craigslist but there was only one picture where you couldn't see the manifold and he couldn't send me any others. So I drove an hour to go check them out and they were for a 1600 roadster. I figured I'd snag them because it was cheap, which brings me to my question. Is there any manifold I can use these carbs on to adapt them to L series?

I figured if I can use any if it, sweet, and if not then I'll sell it to someone that needs it. The guy had it listed with a bunch of ka24de parts and it was the last picture in his ad, just happened across it.

• Like 1

I am assuming you are talking about R block 1600cc carbs.

The 1600 Roadster carbs are both the same as I recall, the bowls are on the same side, they mount the same way, while the L block carbs are not the same, there is a right and left carb, so the L block intake manifold has to have 4 mount holes to be able to use Roadster carbs, plus you would have to make custom linkage to operate them also.

• Like 2

I am assuming you are talking about R block 1600cc carbs.

The 1600 Roadster carbs are both the same as I recall, the bowls are on the same side, they mount the same way, while the L block carbs are not the same, there is a right and left carb, so the L block intake manifold has to have 4 mount holes to be able to use Roadster carbs, plus you would have to make custom linkage to operate them also.

Thanks for verifying wayno, I was told they mount different which is why I was checking. Looks like I'll be throwing them in the classifieds and Craigslist.

• Like 1

You can come down for the Williams Multi-state run in October.  I can meet you there and bring the parts you want.  Rick Rat came down a couples years for it before his accident.

Just happy you have it all together and is is running great.

• Like 1

When and where is the meet Charlie? I really need to fix my pinion angle more than anything, but I can tell all my steering parts need a freshen up. My master cylinder leaked all of its fluid out all over the outside of the booster about a week before I pulled my motor out. I filled it and bled the brakes and it's been totally fine somehow. Reservoir is staying right at the full and it's not leaking anywhere, but I do still plan to at least rebuild it to be on the safe side.

Someone tell me and delete this post if I can't ask this, but what could I sell those carbs and manifold for? They are complete other than air filters from what I can tell. Linkage is in tact and works smooth, and the throttle shafts have no play, if I'd even be able to feel the amount of play that makes them run bad...

I'd like to just get rid of it as a whole to someone that can use them or at least parts from it. I'll post up pictures of it soon.