Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino, I've got a cherry picker if you need to borrow it, it's available, you'll need to come get it though....

Didn't see this since we posted almost at the same time. Thank you! I will be good though, with the cross member out the pan is very accessible and should be easy to swap out.

Man I love the way you guys help each other out. If I could take the cold winters I would move up there just for the brotherhood you all share up there.

It's nice for us younger guys that are still learning! So far with this build I've gotten help from Draker, Hogie, Al (Denmarkboy), h5wagon, Brohemius, Dream510, EagleAdam and his lady, my neighbor and my good friend. And now offers from Diego! Even though some of us don't have time for a lot of the meets (mainly me having to work Saturdays and Sundays) it's really nice having a solid group of car buddies to turn to for needed parts or help.

• Like 3

That whole work thing sucks.. 'edited'

You've got a ton of good help down there, I guess up here is pretty nice too.. bananahamuck, tdaaj, jrock a few more that are willing to help.. when they have time.

As for the tricities.. Pasco.. it's pretty much me and Flatcat... right now flatcat and a few kinda datsun guys.. sorry cat...

Seem like you'd still be able to start the motor and what not without.. as long as there's an oil pan on the motor.

I wanna see a video already!!

• Like 3

You heard it here first...Kev wears work thong......

That whole work thong sucks..

You've got a ton of good help down there, I guess up here is pretty nice too.. bananahamuck, tdaaj, jrock a few more that are willing to help.. when they have time.

As for the tricities.. Pasco.. it's pretty much me and Flatcat... right now flatcat and a few kinda datsun guys.. sorry cat...

Seem like you'd still be able to start the motor and what not without.. as long as there's an oil pan on the motor.

• Like 3

That whole work thing sucks.. 'edited'

Believe me I want to hear it run! I'm bringing home my bosses small electric impact to make removal much easier on the oil pan. Then all that's left is making a block off plate for my manifold and put everything together.

• Like 2

I have a 1980 720 standard cab bed with the Datsun tailgate. I would give you the tailgate but the shipping would probably cost more than it is worth. Of coarse this is a rust free AZ part! LOL

I may actually take you up on that, but it will have to wait for the moment. Thank you Charlie!

Well I got it back on all 4. 620 pan and mounts is the way to go, like Izzo has, for anyone's reference. I got a Z series oil filter not thinking about it and it's way too long, so I need to get an L series so it's short enough. Still have to make the block off plate for the manifold, but I've got what I need. Installed the starter and both manifolds. All that's left is installing alternator, radiator, hoses, water pump, and filling everything with fluids. It will start either tomorrow or Monday! Family is coming to visit tomorrow after work so we'll see how much I can actually get done.

• Like 2

Time for a thread title change, trucks name is Snake Pit because of the snake that showed up on my dash. It's being built by me, the rhino(ceros).

• Like 2

Al and Mike came by to lend a hand today. I ended up needing a few more things that Al had at his house so we're picking back up in the morning. Also need to get a few bolts for the egr block off plate, a weber gasket, one more water pump bolt, and a shorty oil filter.

They plumbed the water lines and fuel line, and we decide it'd be best to use my rad as a 620 is very narrow compared.

• Like 3

Alright so everything is together, it's cranking over but I can't get it to have spark. I've had Mike help me try to wire it up a few different ways and with power to the coil from the ignition, it has power on the coil side of the HEI but doesn't on the distributor side. It is grounded. Coil is clean. cap, rotor and plugs are all new. Could it be the distributor? What else could it be? We have it wired exactly how the diagram says to.

• Like 2

If we put power to the positive side of the coil the negative side gets power. Same goes for coil side of hei obviously since they're connected. But no power to distributor side or anywhere on the distributor.

• Like 1

Alright so everything is together, it's cranking over but I can't get it to have spark. I've had Mike help me try to wire it up a few different ways and with power to the coil from the ignition, it has power on the coil side of the HEI but doesn't on the distributor side. It is grounded. Coil is clean. cap, rotor and plugs are all new. Could it be the distributor? What else could it be? We have it wired exactly how the diagram says to.

First off, YOUR FIRED! Don't just go throwing power to shit to see IF it will work. Too much stuff to damage.

Second, if Mike agreed to this, his ass is fired too.  

:rofl:  :rofl:

Have you tried looking in your manual????????????????? :thumbup:

• Like 2

First off, YOUR FIRED! Don't just go throwing power to shit to see IF it will work. Too much stuff to damage.

Second, if Mike agreed to this, his ass is fired too.

:rofl: :rofl:

Have you tried looking in your manual????????????????? :thumbup:

With the dual plugs on the z24 there was multiple hot wires that came on with the ignition and while cranking, so we tried it using those, not just random hot wires. We found an engine harnesses diagram and paired it with the hei diagram on here, still nothing.

• Like 1

Either the module is not grounded or its bad. I've felt with this so many times I finally said fuck it and picked up a matchbox dizzy

Yeah Mike and I figured we had to consider the module being bad even though it's brand new. We tested a ground before using it so it's positively grounded.

• Like 1