L18 help in Oregon City

Royal Sierra

I had a friend helping me refresh an L18 I bought. Tore it down to the short block, I got new gasket sets, new timing chain set and we got the head torn down and valves cleaned. Problem is my friend wont come over and help me finish this up. He was teaching me how to do all this, since its my first L motor. Been trying to get him here for more than a month. I have all the parts sitting on a bench, but I dont want to try an assemble it and miss something or screw it up. If anybody can give me a hand and show me how to do this timing chain and all that, it'd be awesome. I will throw cash/beer your way. I just want to have my 521 done before Canby.

My number is 971 563 2092 and my name is Randy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend helping me refresh an L18 I bought. Tore it down to the short block, I got new gasket sets, new timing chain set and we got the head torn down and valves cleaned. Problem is my friend wont come over and help me finish this up. He was teaching me how to do all this, since its my first L motor. Been trying to get him here for more than a month. I have all the parts sitting on a bench, but I dont want to try an assemble it and miss something or screw it up. If anybody can give me a hand and show me how to do this timing chain and all that, it'd be awesome. I will throw cash/beer your way. I just want to have my 521 done before Canby.

Hit up your local st vinnies/used book store and look for a service manual. I have done countless rebuilds and I still grab my reference material if handy.

If you were closer I'd lend a hand but Ocity is a drive from SpringtuckY.

there are lots of Datsun people in your area. Eagle_Adam, although really busy these days could have that motor back together in a day. Lots of other guys up there that could help too. Good luck!

Im thinking 2hrs if everthing is in order to bolt it together. and engine is on stand

correct parts.

head I haven had apart beside the cam towers off and installing lash pads and rockers which is still simple enough but that isn't in my vid. Might need spring compressor. better yet find a head that's good already together dial it to TDC and bolt on block.

Maybe your friend is a prick?

a ex girl frind . her boyfriend in HS helps her tear apart a trans for a MGA. He never showed back up to put it together.

lets go stop by step its EZ