Let the 1977 620 KingCab project begin

DatsunHiLife

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My green LEDs for my dash just came in today. Cant wait to see them in there. Putting everything back together tomorrow. My 140A alternator gets here on Monday. Hopefully up and running on Tuesday.

Today I scored the original brackets for my split style bumper I got a few months ago from Thailand. A local here is peicing out his wrecked 77 (which is very rare for Kauai) Hopefully gonna get some other parts as well. Expect pics soon!

Put my dash back in today. upgraded the instrument gauge bezel and put in my green LEDs. Ill post those pics tomorrow as I am getting my old alternater out of there. Its out and now I am at the stage of taking out the VR. Had some questions.  I searched the other post about swapping out the ER for the Ir

alternator. I am getting the 140A from Zman tomorrow in the mail. My VR looks a lil different than most I have seen. Bare with me. Its my first swap here. What to do with the wires. Am I clipping out the old VR plug? The Blue/Yellow was spliced together and went to the plug of the old alternator. The white black went to the plug as well. Then there is the big white/red stripe wire.

The second pic is an upclose of the plug. You can see the blue jumper wire. The red electrical taped wire is pretty fried. looks like it caught on fire before. I am not running an electric choke so no need to power it. On the old alternator there was no plug. It was wired with a spade style crimp connector. My new one might come with  a plug but I am not sure.

Hope you guys can help me out. I am digging this!!

0C53F0F9-FF82-4A7D-813A-7977F2C2C260.jpg

7946649D-C5DD-4B25-A1E8-FAEA7F1DD5E2.jpg

this pic of the bunched up wire comes from my starter solenoid. Can you tell me what this is? does this go to my voltage meter?  Or can I just cut this out?

85E05550-0101-408C-94ED-35802117CBC6.jpg

Ive gone through post after post and there are a ton of different options that its mind boggling for me. I'm not lazy and have utilized the search but I feel like its a whirlwind of info that it confuses my artistic brain.

I want to take the VR plug out as some of he wires that lead into it have been fried. (the one with red electric tape on it) so I just need some laymen terms here. I want to cut back much of this older wire.

Datzen Mike where are you when I need ya!!

On the '77 620's plug to the voltage regulator...

White wire....... connects to the main +12 wire from the battery positive fusible link to the ignition switch

Black wire........ connects to ground any way you like.

Yellow wire.......connects to the two wire 'T' shaped plug into the alternator.  It's the top of the T. Also tells auto choke heater that the alternator is charging, this turns the relay on and connects the White/Blue wire to the choke heater.

White/Blue stripe.... goes to auto choke heater, provides power to the choke heater through the relay

White/Black stripe.... connects to the two wire 'T' shaped plug into the alternator.  It's the bottom of the T

White/Red stripe.... goes to the CHARGE lamp in the dash.

This (above) is the external regulated set up. 

To convert your wiring to an internally regulated alternator, unplug external regulator. Cut away the regulator keeping the wires long as possible. Bare and twist the White/Red and the White/Black wires together and solder and tape it up. Bare and twist the Yellow and the White wires together and solder and tape them up. Trim away all the other wires not used or poke the pins out of the connector so they never short out on anything. Now plug this connector back onto it's mate on the engine harness.

It automatic choke heater relay is intimately connected to the old voltage regulator and is now permanently wired ON even when the key is off. Find and unplug the choke heater relay, you are not going to use it. To provide power to the choke heater on the carb find the two wires on the back of the carb, a Red and a Blue... probably in a Black covering. The Blue is the power to the choke heater (which is now disconnected) connect and solder it to the Red wire. The red wire is the idle cut solenoid and is ON at all times the ignition is on and will also power the choke heater.

That's it

Sorry if I am being redundant but before I start to cut anything away. The wiring here is kinda stumping me. The one I am talking about has 3 wires coming off it. Its coming off a bigger black wire that goes into the harness. This thicker white/red was hooked to the older alternator along with the positive big red positive wire. You can see the other thinner white/redstripe wire as well.

Can I clip it before the 3 way splice and just add a new connector? the second pic is off the older alternator showing how it was connected

23579D8F-88AB-4C99-8C6C-206EDC4CDF07.jpg

354B856B-D85F-4F62-8203-AEC52E737F6F.jpg

• Like 1

871C9BD5-9F9A-44DA-8433-867D2E7B59F1.jpg

White/Red stripe wire comes from the positive output on the alternator. The Black wire it's connected to should go to the fusible link and to the positive battery post. The White wire that is also connected to it goes to the volt regulator. If you are switching to internal regulated that white gets joined to the Yellow on the old external regulator plug.

• Like 3

871C9BD5-9F9A-44DA-8433-867D2E7B59F1.jpg

White/Red stripe wire comes from the positive output on the alternator. The Black wire it's connected to should go to the fusible link and to the positive battery post. The White wire that is also connected to it goes to the volt regulator. If you are switching to internal regulated that white gets joined to the Yellow on the old external regulator plug.

Yes its a 140A alternator from Zman at datsunstore.com. After I join the yellow to the white. where do I connect it? or is it void. That black wire..do i add a fuseable link to it now that I am switching to an IR alternator. Wiring is not my forte and I dont really have another datsun owner to help me out on the island.

• Like 1

Its all specified in other Alt threads.. Hint. Hint. Hint

and that I have done all to find my particular wiring was a bit different so I called upon the Gandalf of Datsun, DatzenMike to double check me.

What would be nice is to consolidate the info in the other post on this subject and get rid of the useless countless pages. I could not find any post that dealt with the wiring as far as the one black wire with 3 splices on it. Thanks again Mike

Of course this comes from a laymen with no experience in wiring. Thanks for putting up with my redundancy 

Its taken me 2 weeks to get my alternator out here so I have to be absolute certain. My luck and I would fry it. Haha 

• Like 1

I must be mentally challenged. I am trying to wrap my head around this.

The 3 wires spliced onto that thicker black wire. Where does this wire go. I am suppose to join the white wire with the yellow, the black wire that is spliced goes to a fusible link to the positive on the battery, and the big white/redstrip goes to the alternator along with the positive coming off my positve battery cable? I also have the ground wire but its not picture in my last photo.

Altough my 140A alternator is not here yet (would be nice as it would clarify what wiring i need to do. My older ER alternator had two wires connected to it (no PLUG) hence the smaller white/red stripe and the smaller white/blue stripe. I would imagine these would go to that plug. I dont have a white/blackstriped wire

I could pound my head with my rubber mallet!!! uggggghh

it will be nice to get through this. a lesson learned

• Like 1

Have you ever used google?

Ill give you a big push:

DATSUN 620 IR ALTERNATOR

I saw diagrams, modified wiring pics, Voltage reg mods...I dont want to spoon feed you the steps, I prefer to help you that way.

Theres one thing I can point out about most forums: the learning parts are always hidden deep into someone's build thread...So I give you that

• Like 2

Have you ever used google?

Ill give you a big push:

DATSUN 620 IR ALTERNATOR

I saw diagrams, modified wiring pics, Voltage reg mods...I dont want to spoon feed you the steps, I prefer to help you that way.

Theres one thing I can point out about most forums: the learning parts are always hidden deep into someone's build thread...So I give you that

hahah. if you had read, which you did. I have looked over EVERY single thread on the subject so I hear you. Thank you. I woudnt be here if I had not. Thing is I am not familiar with wiring whatso ever so when I look at a diagram. Its confusing to me. From all the other threads I have read. I should be connecting the White/Red and the White/Black wires together. I dont have a White/black wire and not one thread discusses that. So I am here to carefully cover my Okole, thats Hawaiian for ass, so I dont make a mistake.

Not to mention. I am on a waiting list to get a root canal and the pain has beaten down my patience level very brutally. yes thats my problem. not yours.

I know you mean well. very appreciative

• Like 1

wired my plug end of the Voltage Regulator back up. Initially I just wanted to clip the whole thing away as the ground wire going into the plug was fried and melted. I managed to clip away most of it and solder it back up. I jumped the wires coming out of the plug and clipped away the rest. Somehow with all the pics I took I must of not of taken a pic of that 3 way splice coming off the main wire leading to the fuse box.. The one in the pic with the larger gauged White/Redstripe that went to the power out of the alternator, the black wire, and white wire. From what Mike said, that black wire should go to a fusible link and then to the positive battery post. Whats bugging me is this black wire was never hooked up to any fusible link. Hell I don't know where it went but I know for sure I did not take out a fusible link.

Is this black wire used for power when the alternator is not running?

• Like 1