Let the 1977 620 KingCab project begin

DatsunHiLife

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most electric fuel pumps are too much pressure for carbs. Weber likes 3 psi, Datsun takes 3.2 psi.

Too much fuel pressure can flood the carb.

yea. all started when i put in the electric fuel pump. obvious flooding issue there that caused the back fire. I need to change this. Ever heard of blowing off a lash cap from backfire? Lol it did look like our volcano over here in Hawaii when it did backfire..BOOM!!!!

I was about to do a full rebuild but opting to just putting the valver cover back and calling it a day.

Haha bet a cloud of vog came out.

Yes, just put it back, adjust that cap's valve lash and see how she runs.,

Mahalo Road Warrior. My electric fuel pump says its regulated at 3-5psi. should I run a regulator in the line? think my Weber is getting more than 3 psi? hence the fuel all up in the filter, hence the Volcano?

As I understand they generally pop out if the valve adjustment is too loose. In some cases a thicker lash cap is needed.

we checked that and everything is cherry. my mechanic friend is stumped as to how that lash could of popped off. we can't figure it out.

if it popped off or was stuck would not the gas flood the manifold? causing the mauna kea experience

hopefully the new gasket comes in on monday. gonna put it back together and see what happens. i ordered 2 just in case.

option 2. on my local craigslist. guy is selling a L16 with 4 speed tranny, dual carbs, and headers for 500.00. its still in his truck and said he can let me check it out running...........

Adjusted the valves today. made everything was cherry Put everything back together. Everything is fine. Guess when I was opening her up to just about 100mph (oops) the valve got hung up. Springs seemed ok but will probably order and replace.

Now its off to find come brackets for my rear bumperettes I just got from Thailand. These are pretty good. I mean this isn't no German steel but they will do. Gonna polish the hell out of them. I actually ordered another set cause some guy wanted to give me 300 bucks for them. Gonna post on the classifieds but if you guys know of any one who makes them. Please let me know. Thanksimage1.jpg

• Like 1

Now that my truck sat for a bit and cooled down, I am having a hard time getting it started. I am running a Universal Fuel pump thats maximum pressure is at 4-5 psi. Shouldn't this be good? Again have a Weber 32/36. I have checked the filter and gas fills up just fine. I am back where I started.

Yes Im considering going stock again but it looks all perty with the block off plate.. haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone. Well I have been ghost for sometime. Work has had me slammed with tattooing. Every single tourist wants a damn turtle tattoo  :sick:

Updates:

I went through my entire engine and everything is cherry............

and all of that trouble I was having in the end, ended up being electrical. My regulator and all that ancient wiring up to the plug that plugs into my regulator was fried. The fuel pump was being robbed thus I was having excelleration problems. I was not getting the fuel I needed. I ran tests multiple times on my fuel pressure and it seemed to change every day.

I changed my cheap ass electrical fuel pump with a Carter fuel pump that is regulated at 4.5 psi.  Starts on a dime. No pump of the gas peddle. Nothing. On a dime. Everything all cherry......... until I started hooking up my alpine stereo system. If only my gauge would of been working I would of known from the start.

I hooked everything up but when I would start driving my amps protective feature would come on and it wouldnt work. I could shut my engine off and the amp would kick back in. I noticed some condensation on my brand new battery. Haha. It wasnt condensation. I hooked up a meter and it pretty much never stopped rising......nothing like sitting on a bomb. I needed to drive home so I turned on everything to draw some power from the battery. It was when I turned my headlights on that I started having the very same acceleration problems. I could turn them off and it would accelerate normal. Greedy power hungry bastard!!

So it is time for an internal regulated alternator!! I have banged my head on the posts about what swap to do. There is so many opinions and options that its frigin mind boggling for me. 15+ pages..urg..lost. I want something simple. I dont want to grind away anything. Napa lead me in cirlces today. First the oversized GM and then an 85 Yoda one that was same size but had a male mount..not the female style one I have.  I can I use the 60A one wire 1980+ Nissan alternator? Is it a direct fit? 

My stereo is 750 watts. Will 60 amp be enough?

All A Lesson Learned. 

Some better news. Went to our local Tire Warehouse to fix my slow leak on my tire. Those tires with the hideous path finder rims :sick:

Walked out with a brand new set of wheels and tires!! Opps

IMG_2444.jpg

I also noticed a leak in my gas tank. Ended up being 6 pinhole sized hole in the top half. Repaired it. Broke every single gas tank mount bolt in the process. Drilled new holes, grinded away the rust on the mounts. Painted. Reinstalled with new gas lines. I failed and did not take pics of it reinstalled (boring pic) 

I will update some photos soon.

• Like 1

I am running a 125A High Output Alternator from Datsunstore.com.

Here are some pics for you. Everything is working ok with it.

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

Danny. your motor is off the hook. Inspiring! Yes. I just ordered the 140A alternator and the headlight relay upgrade from Zman. They are really on the customer service and really letting me know what my options are. My stereo will be about 1500 watts when done so I need that extra power. Might ened up getting my disc brake upgrade form him too.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone. Guess I could be at the beach drinking beer after beer but I decided to take on my dash today. Spent a good two hours just getting out the dust that was underneath. Surprised I didnt find a mummy in there. Since I dont know wiring I labeled every connection with a sharpy marker before disconnecting for an easy time putting everything back. My first ever dash removal. I thought it would be really frustrating but Im having fun on this. Going to upgrade my bulbs to led and replace my turn signal (was fried). My 140A alternator should be here tomorrow and hopefully have her back on the road by Friday.

EFA44BAA-F260-4BA7-B4DD-114E90E7B981.jpg

new instrument bezel is inFF5AECAF-24BB-4BA6-A52D-B1B5648EA1A8.jpgpainted a flat black. I have a dash cap that covers my old one

C6B61858-A625-4BF6-9398-50CCFF3D0A69.jpg

• Like 2