Let the 1977 620 KingCab project begin

DatsunHiLife

Just picked up a 1977 620 KingCab month ago. My dream was to have a 4x4 (my cj5) and a low rider as my every day driver.

Found this on craigslist. Was asking 1500 and got it for a 1000.

When I picked it up, it had no brakes, a dinosaur of a carb, no working wiper motor, and more rust than I really wanted.

It was dieseling like crazy as well.

Drove home wondering if I made the wisest choice. Guess you can say I like challenges.

Spent that night cleaning it from top to bottom.. you know that feeling!! haha

Since then I have replaced the brakes and rotors (will upgrade the front to disc). I can actually stop now.

Put a 32/36 Weber on it.

Ordered a new refurbished wiper motor and found the OG bumperettes from Thailand. Gotta take off the hideous bumper to bring the soul back.

It is currently dieseling but Ive been dumping the it in 4th gear. 

I have sea foamed it and have really fine tuned the carb. Hopefully this will help it out.

I am saving to have the body refurbished and painted. Thinking a straight black but considering options.

Couple months this lil beast will be reborn.

Gotta get rid of the PathFinder rims  :sick:

Aloha from the 808 state.

IMG_1448_2.jpg

IMG_1449_2.jpg

IMG_1450_3.jpg

IMG_1447_2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Your telling me. Lucky I'm trading some tattoo work with one of the best fabricators on the island to bring this one back. Yea these current rims are disgusting. The Titans on a 50 series tire should help.

Sweet foundation. That hood is seriously raped :-). I have those same rims on my pathfinder. Kinda ugly (not the titans, the ones in the pic)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Okay its been a minute since I updated and I have made a few post outside of this one on my Datsun. I will keep it all with in here from now on.

I have put some time and energy into this truck so far. I have been concentrating on the engine and have recently graduated from points to electric. I opted for the Pertronix conversion and put in a flame thrower coil. I took out the stock fuel pump and installed an electric one near the tank. Im having a fuel pump block plate fabricated  from my local machine shop. Been cleaning her up every minute I get and my family thinks I am possessed. No time to spare!!! haha

here is an update on the engine. Yes i will dig up the before pic as it is night and day.

IMG_1759.jpg

I am waiting for a blue K&N valve breather in the mail and will refurbish the valve cover soon. 

As soon as the body is done and I get her a new paint job I will remove the motor and repaint

• Like 1

Got a question. Since I am underneath this beast I was looking at the drive shaft. I have seen a few forum post on the subject but they all date back to 2012. As you can see in the pic. I want to know if that much space/play is normal between the bearing bracket and rubber piece. I can lift and move the driveshaft really easy.

I am not having any problems but just want to be safe before I become sorry.

IMG_1756.jpg

Should I modify? I was told they really no longer exist. Thanks 

pic of her insides. I did not install the Pioneer in the dash. :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  The original owner did and destroyed the whole insert in the process. The Pionner did not work and rewired everything. Pressed the eject and out came Dr. Dres "Chronic". Pretty funny.

Looking for an dash insert in the classifieds and made a post there. Hopefully one comes up. I have brand new carpet that I will put in once the body work is done.

The rocker, cab, and doors will be done by mid next month. My friend is trading me tattoo work for his excellent body work magic.

I am possessed 

• Like 2

IMG_1756.jpg

That is torn, the outer ring is still seated in the clamp housing. 

They are still available through rockauto.com

1977 NISSAN 620 PICKUP 2.0L L4 : Drivetrain : Drive Shaft Center Support

A6013__ra_p.jpg

You have to pull the driveshaft and remove the center flange (round with 4-bolts in you picture), there is a large nut holding the flange on. 

• Like 2

Hard to believe the paint is that shiny WITH the rust! Sharp looking truck though.

Yea pretty classic. This truck is rusted in the opposite places you'd usually find when a truck has sat and been neglected.

Cant wait till the body work gets done!!

Gonna order a wheel/tire package tomorrow after I take some measurements. That will surly distract from the rust!! haha

• Like 2

Nice looking 620 in the photos. There was a similar shiny one here on Maui but it has rusted.

Flames from carb indicates a backfire. The engine itself may be fine. Give it a compression test to find out.

Unfortunately it ended up being #2 valve that is shot. Time to get dirty this weekend. Since I'm going this far. Gonna just do a complete rebuild and do it right.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had some time to work on the motor with some friends. Took the valve cover off and all that was wrong was the lash cap on #2 had somehow popped off. I assume this happened when she back fired. Atleast the ticking started right after. My friend ran compression and everything is cherry. Everything else is fine. I am stumped on how this happened. Ever since I put in my new electric fuel pump I was having a very hard time getting her started. Ran the battery dead trying to start. I ended up jumping it with cables and got a clean start and then the huge backfire. Took the air filter off and there was a shitload of gas dripping out...I am stumped

IMG_1881.jpg