Transmission not engaging

fizrat

I went to move my 620 camper and it wouldn't go. When I let out the clutch in gear it just acts like it's still in neutral. I checked and the operating cylinder is moving the clutch lever, but beyond that I don't know where to go from here.

The weird thing is this happened all the sudden. I just moved it 2 or 3 weeks ago and it went fine. Only thing i did in the mean time was change the engine oil.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things come to mind...

Transmission is actually not in gear, although shifter seems like it is. first/second shift fork broken... Try 3rd gear

What happens when you..

1/  Without using the clutch try to place in reverse with the engine running.

2/ Try fourth 'gear'. This isn't really a gear at all but a solid connection driving directly through the transmission. This eliminates everything connected and driven through the counter shaft.

Assuming the transmission is working perfectly, place in gear and let out clutch. Take a quick look underneath... is the driveshaft turning?

YES, turning. The differential is broken or an axle spline has sheared off.

No, not turning. No power is entering the transmission. Clutch disc has sheared from the spline. Diaphragm is stuck in the compressed or disengaged position.

I had a problem like that once. Somehow the slave was holding residual pressure and holding the fork out enough to keep the clutch disengaged. Try cracking the zerk and see if it spews some fluid, if it does, it may need replacing. Mine did it after a couple years, i was set to pull the tranny to check the clutch when i figured it out. Hope it's something simple.

Just go to any Datsun guys house... walk to the back yard.. and find the 4 speed and replace it. Everyone has one in their back yard they are trying to get rid of.

I have one.. Mike probably has a shed full of them.

Seriously though, if you didn't notice any crunches or anything, it's probably a something weird like the clutch not engaging. Sucky part is you'll probably have to drop it to figure it out. :(

Good luck.

Hi,

No driveshaft turning. 3rd 4th gear are same story - no engagement. Reverse is a no-go, too.

Going back over to fiddle with the play on the clutch pedal and measure travel on operating cylinder. And then likely call in a tow truck tomorrow...

Hi,

No driveshaft turning. 3rd 4th gear are same story - no engagement. Reverse is a no-go, too.

Going back over to fiddle with the play on the clutch pedal and measure travel on operating cylinder. And then likely call in a tow truck tomorrow...

As mentioned, 4th is really direct coupling of the input, to the main shaft in a straight line directly through the transmission. If the shift lever is working and you are in gear then the clutch is not engaging for the reasons given in my first post. 

Just go to any Datsun guys house... walk to the back yard.. and find the 4 speed and replace it. Everyone has one in their back yard they are trying to get rid of.

I have one.. Mike probably has a shed full of them.

Seriously though, if you didn't notice any crunches or anything, it's probably a something weird like the clutch not engaging. Sucky part is you'll probably have to drop it to figure it out. :(

Good luck.

This hurts to hear!! I'm fairly new to datsun but I thought the 4speed was sort of sought after and I was sitting on a couple hundred extra bucks lol!!... Sounds like I got a shop decoration project on my hands..

Tried bleeding the line since it was the quickest cheapest thing to do, and it worked! Still mystified about why it would happen all the sudden, after sitting for only a couple weeks (it often goes a month or two without being run/moved), but it did the trick and I was able to move it! Thanks!

• Like 1

If the master cylinder is slightly depressed, the brake fluid cannot escape back in to the reservoir on top of the master cylinder.

The pushrod that connects the master cylinder to the pedal being too long can cause this.  There may have been some shims between the master cylinder body, and the fire wall it is bolted to that are missing.

Take the cap off the master cylinder.  Have somebody else push the clutch pedal down, and then let it back up.  You should see a small squirt of fluid back into the reservoir when the pedal is fully up.

• Like 1