ericsb210

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cab and flatbed will fit fairly well but keep the 720 steering column. It has either a rag joint or a small U joint (or both) likely a splined section that will collapse in an accident. Most of the 620 turn signals, ignition switch, clam shell will fit the upper end of the 720 column.

I swapped a 720 dash into my 620 but would not recommend this. The 620 wiper will be inside the 720 glove box. I had to relocate mine up under the cowl.

• Like 1

Follow Mikes advice.  We Need Pictures.

I would keep all the 720 steering complete rolling chassis, L20B 5 Speed, complete wiring harness and dash.  Ask Mike for details on the dash swap.  If the 80 has power steering and AC I would keep that also.

I use the 1980 720 wiring harness in all the 520 521 and 620 trucks I do.

When and if you do this conversion, when it comes to wiring the headlights, you need to know this, the square headlight is wired differently than the round headlight, the ground is in a different location, on my 85 720 harness I have 3 wires going to the regular headlight, they are all red, but one is solid red, one is red with a yellow line, and one is red with a black line, when changing over to a round headlight on a 720 harness, the red wire with the yellow line and the red wire with the black line need to be reversed, then the headlights will work properly.

Also some of the 720 dash lights are wired differently also, at least they are compared to a 521 dash light, the bright indicator light has 2 wires, you cannot use either of these wires by itself, you need to buy a plastic bulb holder that will fit in the hole of the 620 instrument cluster and use both the wires to indicate when the brights are on.

The dash lights are the same, so what I do for them is find a hot wire in the harness like for the radio power, and use that wire to turn on the dash lights, but that means they will be on whenever the key is on, but that is better than having no lights at all, the light circuits on the 720 wiring harness are weird, if you put a ground in where there is not supposed to be one, it screws everything up.

The oil light, ign. light, and the turn signals all work like one would expect, one wire that goes to the light which then grounds out.

• Like 1

How did you manage to get that late instrument cluster to work in the 1980 wiring harness, you put an 83+ wiring harness in the truck?

I put a dash and wiring harness along with the tilt wheel from a 1985. I had to separate the wire loom and re-pin a few spots, If memory serves me I only had to solder in 1 wire. Well any how it all came out looking nice and working correctly.  I had planned on hiding the wiring in the engine compartment, I started but have not finished that project.  It is a daily driver right now.

• Like 1