Datsun 520 transplant

zatdane

I have a 66 520 with a questionable J1300 in it.  I can purchase a running A14 with 4 speed and radiator for a few hundred dollars and a little travel time.  What am I looking at to install this motor and transmission in to my truck?  Is this even worth doing?  Have I improved my parts availability?  I know everyone wants to put an L motor in them but I cant seem to find one within driving distance of Kansas City.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things to think about,,,

The A14 is a car engine and the oil pan reflects this. You may have to modify the pan for steering clearance. The engine mounts are also not likely to line up.

Definitely a modified trans mount and also a shortened drive shaft.

The A14 was built through the 70s and into the early 80s.

• Like 1

I put a A15 in a 320 without modifying the oil pan, so it should not be an issue unless there are several different oil pans made for different A block cars.

An L block with a L16 521 truck oil pan will fit barely, it's tight, and the heater hoses will be a bitch, I would suggest that you sort out the heater hoses before dropping in the engine, as if you do it after the engine is in, it will be a bitch as I mentioned.

Anything other than the J13 will likely need new motor mounts, you will need to fabricate them from scratch, maybe you can find a J15, that will bolt right in.

It seems like you could find a small V6 in your area, the ones in american cars(Buick??), that one has been a popular one in the past to put in small trucks.

If I will need to do all of that for an L motor anyway, I think I will just hold out.

• Like 1

It seems like you could find a small V6 in your area, the ones in american cars(Buick??), that one has been a popular one in the past to put in small trucks.

Yes the Buick distributor is at the front unlike the Olds one. They are heavy and the starter is in the way

• Like 1