Installing a push start

j_boy_619

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't splice anything, just run wires to the two spade connections on the solenoid and put a high quality weather resistant pbno under the dash. Mine has had this setup for around 8 years with no issues. Use quality wire with thick insulation to guard against abrasion.

I had to go outside to make sure. One wire from positive battery cable at the starter(fuse this one) and one from the spade connector on the solenoid. Run both wires through the firewall grommet to a heavy duty push button normally open(pbno) switch, mine is mounted to the left of the ignition switch where there's a convenient pre existing hole. The switch doesn't care which wire goes to which pole. It's not sexy but it works well and beats the hell out of arcing the starter. I replaced probably 4 starters in the first 5 years I had the car and none in the past 8 years.

If you need to push start, always park on a hill   :angel:

Lol already do this as a back up

Doesn't the starter just need a ground? Turning the key/pushing the button just grounds it, right?

And idk, I was going by the manual and i would splice one wire to the "start" and the other end to the "hot" end.... nothing. I may have a bad push start button

Doesn't the starter just need a ground? Turning the key/pushing the button just grounds it, right?

yeah but you still need to go to the push button switch to route the pwr from starter lug to the switch then back to the selenoid tab.

why do this in the 2st place. either key switch has a resisitance and you can add a blk box light realy to get the a full 12 volts to selinoid .

Or really your batter or your cable is dirty and your just masking a proplem.

Monday my 521 I changed 2 starters thinking they were bad then added a ford relay for the HOT start swap and still truck would have issues iuntill i turn on the lights then truck cut out but then run with lights on(when I really notice a proplem)

find out corrosion on batter and or batt cable worn in side(othertime was a cracked lead ring) or fuse box corrossion.

see if rockauto has new switches in the seering section or elelctrical

also remeber when key is in START there is a bypass wire (point ignitions w ballast resisitor)to the coil so it starts EZER esp when cold. this pishbutton doesnt do this

You don't need to run wires to the starter, they are already there.

Run a wire from the ignition switch that has power only in the on position, (probably the Black/Red) and run through a push button,  to the wire to the solenoid. On a '75 B-210 that would be the Yellow/Black wire on the ignition switch. Everything is there. What yopu are doing is piggy backing a second switch onto the ignition switch just for the start.

You get in, put key in ignition and turn to ON, push start button. Boom away you go. The key start still works so if someone else uses you car there is no chance they will panic and not find the start button if it stalls in a busy intersection. Everyone knows where the ignition key is.

I find the push button excessively gimmicky and not needed as the ignition switch works just fine.

Run a wire from the ignition switch that has power only in the on position, (probably the Black/Red) and run through a push button,  to the wire to the solenoid. On a '75 B-210 that would be the Yellow/Black wire on the ignition switch. Everything is there. What yopu are doing is piggy backing a second switch onto the ignition switch just for the start.

Yeah i'll be piggy backing. Have both as an option.

I see, so I need to try wiring it as you said. I first went with the provided instructions. Didnt work. Then I tried to wire it per datsun1200, no go. I'll try yours out. I have a feeling something in the switch it busted. I'll try this out tomorrow

Just a question. You are aware the ignition component just has one tiny screw securing it to the ignition switch? Remove the screw pull the plastic piece out of the tumbler, use a key or screw driver or whatever to turn the plastic piece you just pulled.

My favorite B210 ignition failure switch repair. Until I repair it or secure a new tumbler.