FOUND! my first 521! ++

harlow426@mail.com

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Torchin' bolts on ugly water pipe bumper and puttin' on the one from B#3. Put a good tire on left side......miracle the tire didn't fall apart when I drug it home. Good thing I got off the interstate and putt-putted the back way. Truck transit pending....still have to make room. :console: P1050525.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I gave up.....hard to wash when the water starts 2 freeze. Did some more peeking around....lubed door hinges/tailgate latches/door outer handles/latch mech. All very happy 2 get some attention. If the door panels weren't bulging the doors now close almost effortlessly. She ain't perfect but I'M HAPPY! :thumbup: P1050564.jpgP1050565.jpgP1050566.jpgP1050567.jpgP1050569.jpg

• Like 2

Harlow looks good.  It will be a fun project.

It needs help in areas but It will suit my style just fine. I like old trucks in general that have character.....u can't go buy genuine patina @ the parts store. I plan 2 slide the 83std720 underpinnin's from the 'turd' under the cab after I do a good job of stopping the 'not too bad yet' rust inside the cab and underneath. Need 2 find a better lower valence....rt front turn sig...maybe better grill-rings-etc if I find GOOD stufff cheap or trade. Have not decided on motor yet. Know of a LOW mile 89 v6 with auto I could trade firewood 4......wrecked 2wdkc rt side hard. I'll post pics but I am not sure about the rear end in truck. I think it is gm or ford or ?? Coarse thread on wheel studs...

I also had a lead on a good ka but need the scratch....if I got that it would go into B#3 and I'd use my GOOD z22 in this truck.....already in the 'turd' donor truck. Had planned on resurrecting the turd but after I found B#3 and the 521++ it became my prime donor.

Will need all new rubber/felt 4 windows doors/dash pad fix. Don't like rattles squeaks/leaks.Think I'll have the floor inside and out hit with spray on bed liner after I remedy rust removal....kill road noise/protect/easy maint.

Approaching build from a minimalist perspective.....preserve and make functional. Then drive the wheels off of it!

• Like 3

If you havn't noticed my Z thread....

I have decided to use the FI 2.8L motor outta the 280 zx I bought last week!!!

Did some horse tradin' with denmarkboy 2 get a 4 speed.

As soon as I get my DD 80kc fixed I'll get the 2.8 motor yanked and get it mocked up on the 83 720 frame I have 4 it.

Previous owner did a bit of a hack-job on the core support on my 521.....perfect candidate for the Xtra long motor.

Why didn't nissan put a Lsix in the trucks way back when?

I am really impressed with the L28 torque curve....even with the 3 speed auto.

Should B a bitchin powerplant for towing....getting ridiculous loads moving.

• Like 1

If you havn't noticed my Z thread....

I have decided to use the FI 2.8L motor outta the 280 zx I bought last week!!!

Did some horse tradin' with denmarkboy 2 get a 4 speed.

As soon as I get my DD 80kc fixed I'll get the 2.8 motor yanked and get it mocked up on the 83 720 frame I have 4 it.

Previous owner did a bit of a hack-job on the core support on my 521.....perfect candidate for the Xtra long motor.

Why didn't nissan put a Lsix in the trucks way back when?

I am really impressed with the L28 torque curve....even with the 3 speed auto.

Should B a bitchin powerplant for towing....getting ridiculous loads moving.

I don't want to be rude but what the fuck are you talking about, so your hackin up the fire wall, then it would make sense and if your not your extending the front of the truck.

• Like 1

I don't want to be rude but what the fuck are you talking about, so your hackin up the fire wall, then it would make sense and if your not your extending the front of the truck.

not cutting firewall......extra length of motor will require elec fan and rad shift forward(check out denmarkboys lil hooker-similar clearance issues). somebody else already cobbled up those areas.....will look better when I am finished. Retaining stock grill/hdlight trim.

• Like 1

Harlow please before you start cutting up your 521 measure the length of the L16 from the back of the block to the front edge of the cooling fan blade.  Then measure the same on the L28 and post the 2 measurements please.

Read page 3 again on this thread I posted above, here it is again, specifically the firewall modifications.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64040-720zx-time-to-finish-it/

Harlow please before you start cutting up your 521 measure the length of the L16 from the back of the block to the front edge of the cooling fan blade.  Then measure the same on the L28 and post the 2 measurements please.

I will check out that thread again.....quick skim last time. My floors, rooof, trans tunnel have bad rust issues. by the time I cut out the swiss cheeze I doubt I will have to trim/massage 2 much more. I appreciate the 'heads-up'. If I was doing a finished resto on a primo cab I wouldn't go this route.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the L28 is almost 12" longer than the L16, L18, and L20B engines.  I considered the 6 cylinder L motor on a 70 521 years ago and after measuring and actually trying to set on in the engine bay I decide on a z20 5 speed instead.

A VG30 V6 would be easier.

Bed off now and on flatbed with cab. As soon as I make some more room @ my 'yard' I will get cab/box over there so I can slide em' off onto their new home. Getting a good 'review' helping 2 get the Canby truck together. Lotz of work yet 2 do.....if I could clone myself it would really help.

• Like 1