Power Steering Fluid Leak

JRKman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got it. I had to remove the hole steering gear assembly to have at it easier. So there is a Full metal press in seal followed by a snap ring followed by a washer followed by a rubber seal. I will upload some pics for future reference if anyone feels its necessary.

• Like 1

Finally got it. I had to remove the hole steering gear assembly to have at it easier. So there is a Full metal press in seal followed by a snap ring followed by a washer followed by a rubber seal. I will upload some pics for future reference if anyone feels its necessary.

Please do!!

The Pittman arm is a bitch to remove, I have removed a few of them, when it does finally come off, don't be in the way, have all your limbs and body to the side, it seems like I have the most issues with the 521 arm, I have used 2 and 3 arm pullers, it seems like the 2 arm puller works the best.

I leave the nut on the shaft, but loose, so when the arm does "pop" it won't come shooting off.

Also, if the puller is on and the heat doesn't work, I leave the tension on the puller and tap (not hit) the pitman arm with a hammer. The jolt usually does the trick, but if not, I leave it all tensioned up and reapply the heat, then walk away. It will usually pop itself off.

I have had to cut and chisel pitman arms off before...

Ok guys sorry about the delay. Here is the process for changing the sector shaft seal (power steering gear seal/seals).

Disassembly

1. Remove pitman arm nut with a large breaker bar.

2. Use a proper pitman arm puller on the pitman arm. If you use a three finger puller like I did you will probably break it and send small shards of metal flying at your face. Wear safety glasses. If you're lucky like me, the brake fluid might have lubed up the pitman arm enough for it to come off relatively easy. Move pitman arm out of the way.

3. Clean all the gunk out of where the seals slide around the shaft. There will probably be  a lot.

Now you can choose to either do this with the gear mounted to the vehicle and screw up your back and have shit fall all over you, or you can do it the easier way and take it off. If you want to take it off keep reading, otherwise skip to step 8.

4. Remove the 2 hard lines going to the power steering gear from inside the engine bay. They are on the top of the steering gear.

5. Remove the one bolt that pinches the steering wheels input to the spline input at the power steering gear. The bolt needs to be completely removed.

6. Remove the three bolts that hold the steering gear on. They are accessed behind the drivers side fender liner. There are also nuts on the engine side of the fender that will spin if you don't use multiple wrenches.

7. Pull out the steering gear. Fluid will pour out the holes where the hard lines were attached if tilted.

---------------

8. The seals are located around the shaft where the pitman arm was removed. The first seal you will encounter is going to be a metal sil with a very thing rubber lip that touches the shaft. you must make a hole in this in order to pry it out. Some ways you can do this could be: Self tapping screw, small drill bit but don't go too far..., etc.

9. Once there is a hole you must pry the seal out. I used  little hook like tool to do this. I believe it is called a "Seal Puller" go figure....

10. Once this is out, there will be a snap ring. Remove the snap ring with, you guessed it, "Snap ring pliers."

11. Behind the snap ring there will be a flat washer which can be easily removed.

12. Behind the flat washer is a rubber seal. Easy way to get this out is by using a wood screw and some pliers. Slightly drill the screw into it and pull it out. You can use two if its in there good. One on each side and wobble it out.

13. Clean the area thoroughly.

Assembly

Assembly is the complete opposite of disassembly. Make sure to grease up all the seals/washers you put back in. Make sure to tap in the seals evenly. The last metal seal, I used the old washer on top and the old rubber seal on top of that to tap it in evenly until its nicely seated. I will include some pictures for reference.

New (Left) Old (Right)

BA4944A3-CC92-4652-88D8-97F03546AE16.jpg

• Like 1