3D printed Dome Light Lens for your 620

Northport Datsun

Your old one is exactly what mine looked like. We modeled it from a partial lens. Looks great in your truck. Glad it worked out. I'm satisfied now that it fits. I could not be too sure with my old housing. Thanks for the feedback!

That's one done. That part is now "free" for anyone to download off Thingiverse and print out. More to come.

(I probably should start a thread on my builds. Here, I'll stay on topic).

What about those of us who can't 3D print? :poke:

I think you could have a business idea here. Printing hard to find and otherwise overpriced parts for old cars. Not just limited to Datsuns either.

• Like 3
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's possible to make some money from reproducing parts. I'm starting slow to get all the problems worked out. I'm working with the parts I'm missing and can't find or are just too expensive. There's a few steps involved. Parts need to be measured first, then modeled (that means a 3D image must be created). I'm working with a modeler to get that part done. 3D scanners, or Digitzers just do not capture enough detail. At least, not the one's a consumer can purchase. Printing is limited to certain materials based on the Printer you own. I'm limited to PLA, which is fine for most objects in a car, but under hood might require ABS and something like an exterior lens might require something pretty exotic.

My modeler and I have not figured out how much time is involved yet. We are still getting our feet wet. Printing is the easy part. Before you print, the software tells you the run time and the amount of material that will be used. That makes it easy to figure out the cost for printing. The next step we are working on is going from a CMM to a 3D model. That would save a lot of time. As you can see this is all very new, and it's still developing.

rharm78; send me a picture of the shift knob you have. Let me evaluate if I can get it done base on your part. Anyone else have something to create?

• Like 1

It's possible to make some money from reproducing parts. I'm starting slow to get all the problems worked out. I'm working with the parts I'm missing and can't find or are just too expensive. There's a few steps involved. Parts need to be measured first, then modeled (that means a 3D image must be created). I'm working with a modeler to get that part done. 3D scanners, or Digitzers just do not capture enough detail. At least, not the one's a consumer can purchase. Printing is limited to certain materials based on the Printer you own. I'm limited to PLA, which is fine for most objects in a car, but under hood might require ABS and something like an exterior lens might require something pretty exotic.

My modeler and I have not figured out how much time is involved yet. We are still getting our feet wet. Printing is the easy part. Before you print, the software tells you the run time and the amount of material that will be used. That makes it easy to figure out the cost for printing. The next step we are working on is going from a CMM to a 3D model. That would save a lot of time. As you can see this is all very new, and it's still developing.

rharm78; send me a picture of the shift knob you have. Let me evaluate if I can get it done base on your part. Anyone else have something to create?

The dome light lens for the engine inspection light.
  • Like 1

I have an Engine Inspection lamp from a Series 1, 240Z. Is that the same? A 1/10th scale truck is too large to print. Something smaller than  1/20 is possible. I have not figured out if it should be modeled or scanned. It might be possible to take a Hot Wheels 620 and scan it. It might make a cool key chain. I do not have one though and it might need to be sprayed in grey primer to pick up the scan. (so the toy might need to be sacrificed). I do have a scanner though.

• Like 2

I have an Engine Inspection lamp from a Series 1, 240Z. Is that the same?

It should be. I believe the Z is the only thing it came factory on in North America? Seems like most people that have them either bought them from the dealer or liberated them from a Z in the JY.  :thumbup:

As you can see, some people are asking pretty crazy prices for them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Engine-Inspection-Lamp-Light-RARE-NOS-/271753969203?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f45cc7e33

Datsun-240Z-280Z-280ZX-Inspection-Lamp.j

• Like 2

Please take a picture of what you have. Let me see if I can work from it. I'm posting the drop in Cup Holder for the console very shortly. Then, a replacement for the Glove Box Knob will be posted. I'll look at that inspection lamp lens too (I have one of those). I might be working on a Fuse Box cover also (which I'm missing completely). I noticed that the fuse box cover that some one posted has what appears to be lettering to indicate the fuse size and function. Did I mention that I have access to a Laser Printer? Now, wouldn't that be cool? 3D print the cover and then laser engrave the lettering!

• Like 3

It should be. I believe the Z is the only thing it came factory on in North America? Seems like most people that have them either bought them from the dealer or liberated them from a Z in the JY.  :thumbup:

As you can see, some people are asking pretty crazy prices for them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Engine-Inspection-Lamp-Light-RARE-NOS-/271753969203?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f45cc7e33

Datsun-240Z-280Z-280ZX-Inspection-Lamp.j

These are listed for $24.57 at the Nissan Parts Zone part #

26740-89904
  • Like 2

These are listed for $24.57 at the Nissan Parts Zone part #

26740-89904

Have you checked to see if they actually have it in stock? Their site says...

Although Nissan North America no longer manufactures this part, we may still have stock or the ability to special order it. To verify availability, pleasecontact us. We will respond promptly.

May send them an email and see if it is. Also says that number is superseded by 26740-10W00.

• Like 1

No I did not check stock.  If you want to check stock with them call them their email system gets no answers.  you receive an email stating that you should get search results in a few days I have received zero results from 4 different requests.  I use Nissan Parts zone to look up parts and check part Numbers for application.

I want something a little different. The Death Star (pre-explosion) from Star Wars! Forget the stand as I want to drill a hole in the bottom and glue in a helicoil and use it as a shift knob. I will sand it smooth and paint it as well. It needs to be 2 to 3" in diameter. What do you think? Someone has already done it on that site:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:245922

deathstar3_preview_featured.jpg

And you have to AT LEAST start letting someone pay for cost of supplies and shipping. Oh, and I still have to mail out that fuse box cover...

• Like 2