D4K Distributor Wiring Issue

Economy4Evr

Good Day All, 

I have a 1976 Datsun B-210.  A-14 with an AT.  The goal is to lose the point and condenser system and upgrade to EI. 

After some checking around, I purchased a D4K Distributor as NAPA stated that it would work in the A-14 Block.  I followed the installation instructions. 

Essentially the guide said to disconnect the ballast wiring.  Add two new wires one for the + and - and run them from the compatible (new) coil for that distributor.   

The installation of the distributor was ok.  Everything fit and the gears meshed up to the marks I made from the former distributor.  I checked TDC and all was well.

Problem:  As you turn the ignition key all three normal lights come on at the dash.  The starter rolls the motor.  The firing sequence starts and the engine sounds good.  Then then it just stops.  Repeat the turn of the ignition key and it does the same. 

The engine does not sustain and run.  I am sure the answer is easy but I don't know what it is.  Help is greatly appreciated.  Electronics is not my strong suit. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the wires (probably Black/Red stripe) to the coil has power only when the starter is turning and this sounds like what you have. There should be a second wire that has power at all times the ignition is on. This wire needs to be found and added to the coil + side.

I guessing it's a Black/White stripe wire.

That makes perfect sense!  I believe the wire off the old point and condenser distributor was the hot wire and I did not know what to do with it.  I will jumper it to the positive side of the coil then then the coil will have power all the time.  I am not smart with electronics.  Thanks for the tip. 

Too much current through the points would burn them up in a short time,  The ballast resistor was used to limit this current.  This makes the spark weaker.  When your car is running, the actual system voltage is around 14.5.

The starter takes so much current out of the battery, that the system voltage drops to 10 to 11 volts. 

So Datsun engineers added an extra wire to the ignition switch that bypasses the ballast resistor.  This makes the car easier to start.