DOUG THORLEY HEADERS...

Rocky671

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z-train your such a fucking asshole.

Actually,I'm being nice.Don't believe me? Ask Mike.If you want I CAN be an asshole-just say the word.

But anyways, back to topic:On a N/A Z motor, the header will do you no good as the head is done "flowing" before the header will make a "difference". They are NOT, repeat NOT a high RPM motor. Now, if you put a "pinwheel" on one, then the equation changes. And a custom header will be needed. Expect to have to put your wallet on life-support to get that done.

And you're welcome.

Yes, I did have to give Bill a 'time out' once. (maybe twice?) Now I pretty much just ignore him as attention just makes him worse. :lol:

Drives a 2,500 hp direct injection V12, (normally aspirated) dislikes welfare puppy mill moms like an Idahoan dislikes the government, hates drug dealers, probably has a hand gun (definitely has a conceal carry permit if he does) and would not hesitate to shoot any low life or child molester even if not in the act of something illegal, most definitely believes in capitol punishment. Would have a car alarm so he wouldn't miss a good shooting. Does not wear a seat belt. Believes higher speed limits are infinitely safer. Opinionated and will almost always disagree with anything stated on Ratsun, well... almost always. Probably missed a few.  

Z-train, did you know that we're running Weber 38? Just a simple question, no attitude or anything behind it cause I'm over it already so I'm just asking.

The Weber 38 is larger than the stock carb so therefore I'm adding more air and fuel into the motor, Right? So maybe what your saying is that the header won't do anything on a stock carb. motor?

The engine only takes in what the displacement is.  You could put a 750 CFM Holley double pumper on the engine, and it would not take in much more air and fuel.

Carburetors are simple devices.  They only know one thing.  How fast is the air going though me?  They do not know density, or humidity, or temperature.

The problem with putting a too big carburetor on any engine is this.  The air velocity in the carb slows down too much, and the carburetor cannot accurately meter the correct amount of gas into the air flowing through it.

If you have your heart set on getting headers on your engine, and a slightly bigger than stock carb, it is your truck.  But there is a wealth of experienced people on this board who have tried, or have people they know who tried the same things you are suggesting.  And it really did not work as well as they hoped.

Well, it wasn't about wrong or right cause I know what Z-train and Mike are talking about. It's the response I was getting from Z-train but it's whatever, I'm over it.

Here's the thing. I'm talking about my dads truck. After he got his Doug Thorley's on he told me I need to get a header and I've been telling him no for a while now. Why? Because I know and read what these guys are saying and also because it's not at the top of my list of things to do. I've still got a lot more maintenance work to be done.

But I respect your reply and that makes sense. Thanks

Z-train, did you know that we're running Weber 38? Just a simple question, no attitude or anything behind it cause I'm over it already so I'm just asking.

The Weber 38 is larger than the stock carb so therefore I'm adding more air and fuel into the motor, Right? So maybe what your saying is that the header won't do anything on a stock carb. motor?

Irrelevant. Carb size matters not. Un-less it is matched with headwork and cam,the flow hasn't changed. Therefore, carb size alone is moot.I'm running a 32/36 on a 2.3 stroker. I'm using a L-16 intake un-modified and I am using a FACTORY exhaust manifold. I am also making the same power as your Z-24.

At the end of the day we're the only one on this post who actually HAS Thorleys from what I've read and can speak from experience because I actually HAVE a 720. If Thorleys are that rare then how can anybody critique them unless they actually have them and have used them? Let me know when you get a 720, install Thorleys and drive it on the daily. For someone so cocky, it shows how much you know about Guam anyway. First of all, it's a little difficult to even reach 5,000 rpm's without exceeeding the speed limit on an island that is smaller than your city, has no freeways and when the highest speed limit is lower than the speed limit on your longest county road. Second of all, you seem to be the only one on this post who isn't from Guam, never been to Guam and couldn't possibly understand the logic behind the our preferences. All in all, I think we can all agree that you can't tell a man what to do with his truck wether you disagree or not. Most people don't have the attachment to these trucks the way we Chamorro's do because it symbolizes a past time, a way of life and tradition that is being passed down from one generation to the next even after so many years. So no matter what your opinion is, I'm gonna tell you it doesn't matter. It's not about how intelligent you are or how many years you've been a mechanic or what is right or wrong. To us, it's something build into the very fibers of our culture. To my fellow Chamorro's, you know wassup gachong! Untungo hafa eleleku? Untungo na magahit! Nanga sa po'lu ya bai hanao para i yoku truk yan standburn para 5,000 rpm gi san halom e yoku garatz!!! And for the record, if you want Thorleys I can get it for you tomorrow on tha real.

• Like 2

Unless you are near the Rockies you probably aren't more that 2000 ft above sea level.

I would guess that 65 percent of the U.S. is below 3,000.

I don't think you'd even need to rejet the carb unless the altitude change was greater than 5-6,000 ft.

im an hour from los Angeles in the Mojave desert.

2,500ft

We just lost a major track out here (LACR) not long ago n willow springs is 15 minutes from my house... check the elevation for that track... but then go 1.5 hours from here to pamona n the same vehicle will need to be re tuned n likely run a second or two faster depending on the tune and range to begin with...

Bottom line is, your car/truck will not run the same here as it will on the other side of the San Gabriel's in the LA basin... especially if carbureted.

• Like 2

Irrelevant. Carb size matters not. Un-less it is matched with headwork and cam,the flow hasn't changed. Therefore, carb size alone is moot.I'm running a 32/36 on a 2.3 stroker. I'm using a L-16 intake un-modified and I am using a FACTORY exhaust manifold. I am also making the same power as your Z-24.

LZ? Or z22 with z24 crank?
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have a 1984 720 KC 4WD with the Z24 motor.

Lately I smell a bit of coolant on startup, and I believe my head gasket is seeping into a cylinder when the engine is not running.  (Coolant needs topped off every now and then).  Also, my exhaust has rusted almost completely off, from the cat flange back (road salt).  So I have decided I should replace the head gasket, and replace the exhaust while I'm at it.

My question is: Which Pacesetter header will I need, the 70-1112 or the 70-1113?  The only difference in the two seems to be that one of the intermediate pipes seems to be a little longer and bent a different way.  I live in a free state, so emissions connections are not a concern - I will need to plug the CO2 sensor and/or the EGR holes.  (Carb replacement pending - one step at a time on this budget.)

Thanks for answering!

• Like 1

Unless racing and you have a 'built' engine with head work, carbs, compression a header isn't worth the money. The Z24 is not a high revving engine and runs out of breath below 5K so the stock manifold is fine. At anything less than full throttle there will be no noticeable change. Replace the exhaust down pipe and remove the CAT and run the largest muffler you can of a 'turbo' muffler to lower the restriction. I think the 720 uses 2" pipe? You'll get more from this than a header. The stock exhaust manifold is more than you'll need.

Instead, spend the $300 on a new weber carb. This is far and away a better upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Yes, the Weber carb is coming... in its time.

From other posts about exhaust and headers, I get the point: Headers won't do for a Z24 what they can do to a small block Chevy.  "Keep the manifold".  With that in mind, I will cut the CAT.  But is there a place I can find pre-bent exhaust pipes that I know will work on my truck?  It's hard enough just to find a flanged "cat-back" set for these old trucks.  I cannot bend pipe, and the only welder I have is an old Miller Arc welder.  I am going to try to get by with as little invested as possible on the pipes, so that I can get that Weber sooner.

• Like 1

'Fraid a muffler shop is about the only place to get pipes bent. The truck is over 30 now and they just aren't common. I believe it's cheaper for a shop to bend their own pipe rather to stock them or order them in.

I would stay with the stick pipe diameter but reduce any restriction like the Cat and the stock muffler. You want the gas speed to stay high so a larger pipe won't help. The higher the gas speed the more inertia it has and it tends to drag more exhaust out of the cylinder. A larger pipe leaves more old exhaust in the cylinder and lowmid speed suffers. The stock muffler is as restrictive as it gets. Find a muffler that is larger, even with larger 2 1/4 inlet and use a reducer to mate it to your exhaust. This will still be quiet enough. There are after market low restriction 'mufflers' but they rely on sound absorption materials like fiberglass. They are not as quiet but much better than the ricer fart cannons.

• Like 1