OER Carbs for Datsun 510, with L20b. vs. Mikuni.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any further information about utilizing an OER/SK racing 40/45mm carb setup for a modified L20b. Does it require a specific manifold, can any weber or mikuni manifold be used? Do velocity stacks adapt to work with OER carbs. Does anyone have any experience with tuning these carbs, did you have trouble getting them jetted properly?

Would a simpler dual Mikuni 40/44 setup be preferable in terms of ease of installation/tuning? When using Mikuni carbs, will they fit with a dual master cylinder in place? Which is the best Manifold for Mikunis; Harada, Cannon, Datsun Comp?

-Thank You-

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a set of OER 45mm carbs on the Kameari L4 intake manifold (L18 but a 2L one)

IMG_4584.jpg

I ordered it as a set, new from Kameari Engine Works in Japan, fast delivery and not too bad price wise shipped to Europe with VAT and DUTY added.

The OER is a copy of the Weber, so any manifold suited for that will work with the OER, getting jets will be easy too as the Weber ones will fit.

As for tuning, I've not got that far yet as my engine is still in bits.

Any L series DCOE manifold will work. The Mikuni manifold, although difficult to find, is the best one to use because it is short, which allows more clearance for velocity stacks and air filters. All other manifolds are longer, and after putting the carbs on with air filters, you'll run into issues with hitting the brake master cylinder. I've seen people using Canon manifolds with the nipple cut off the brake master bleed screw because they were that close, and that was with short air filters. With your dual master setup you'll probably still run into clearance issues even with a Mikuni manifold. Mikuni manifold also has risers for a throttle linkage, of that's what you choose to use. Most like the center pull because it's easier to deal with, but I haven't had problems with the linkage.

• 1 month later...

The Nissan Comp manifold makes the best power, but it is hard to fit. When I install those on a 510, I relocate the master cylinder reservoir with a kit from AP/Tilton, actually you can get them from Wilwood.

And I would also look for soft mountsnd centerpull linkage.  Best two mods to dual carbs that I can think of.

Two pics below show different manifolds. They both have soft mounts and centerpull linkage. The first pic has a Nissan Comp maniflod and th master reservoir relocated. The second pic shows a Mikuni manifold.

IMG_3084Small.jpg

Mikuni_Linkage_Small_03.jpg