new old 1973 620 and introduction

XLT

First thanks for a great forum, I am a new member, mostly in to muscle cars and a 32 Ford over the past years.  Since I am retired I have more time to tinker and enjoy them more.   I have recently received an original 73 620 from my father in law which needs a little up dating.   The forum has been a wealth of information which I will continue to poor over.  Having driven it before, I hate the brakes and that is one of the first changes,  beebani brackets and D21 calipers.  I am a newbie with Datsuns and plan on a father son project not going crazy but just updating and making things a little better.  I want to lower the front a little and I   and concerned about the clearance in both the front and the back suspensions.  Idon't want to make it a pain to drive.  I have a chance to buy some GM rims, 16x7 with 5 1/4 back space  at the right price but I cant take the measurements as the truck is not at my home yet.  and I want to make sure I will have enough clearance for them.  I have been all over the forum and read about the hubs etc and running titans but no where can i find how deep i can go.  I don't imagine the front will down more than 2-3 inch just to give it a slight rake in the front if that helps. Hope some one can put me on the right track   Thanks  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16" wheels should have plenty of room for the brakes. If they are the same offset as the escalade or tahoe wheels you shouldn't have any problems other than the center bore. If you are swapping to disc brakes you might consider machining the hubs and grinding a bit off the rear axle centers to allow you to run any number newer wheels. 

Machined hub. 

06042007003.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, still up in the air now my son wants to go with some 17 inch titans he found......I will cut the hub down with the new brakes, I found the front  suspension needs attention and now the rear brake is stuck, clue was the smell on the drive home, oh the joy of old things.  I took some photos but I will have to wait for the engineer son to give me a hand to post them but I really appreciate you getting back to me.  I have read all kinds of stuff on the brake conversion and now I question whether I should use the stock 3/4 MC or switch to the later drum disc on saw a 76 model, the z model is just too expensive not sure I need that as this is a family project truck not a race car.  Any thoughts please let me know, I have a lot to learn   see ya  

• Like 1