Custom Collar Shaft Coilover Pics Here

findmuck

I'm going to make collar shaft coilovers for the wagon and have done my research when looking around peoples builds and certain threads. I will run into a few pics here and there of custom coilovers and want to create a topic for those looking to do this in the future!

So just a topic to share pics of your DIY suspension really !  :w00t:

This is a post by Datzenmike on how to make collar shaft coilovers and is perfect for those (once like myself) looking to understand how they work:

You can do that without cutting coils easily enough... but a lowered vehicle really should have either a stiffer spring, to reduce suspension travel to avoid hitting the road, or cut some of the coil off which will do the same thing. Cutting the spring solely to lower the ride height is wrong thinking. You are not taking into account how much this raises the spring rate.

Remove the strut and carefully compress and remove the spring. Using a 6" angle grinder trim around the base of the spring perch just enough to slice through above the weld...

strutmods004Large.jpg

Tap spring perch up and off with hammer...

strutmods005Large.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

Grind down the weld that secured the perch to the strut tube...

strutmods027Large.jpg

This is so you can instal split collars that will clamp and support the lower spring perch making it fully adjustable up and down...

strutmodsfor74710001Large.jpg

strutmodsfor747100012Large.jpg

Properly installed they will support 3 tons each or about three 510s

strutmodsfor747100011Large.jpg

Just compress the spring with a jack and tighten split collar...

74strutswapjune13025Large.jpg

Total cost so far was $25 for the collars, and for that I get adjustable ride height. Once you get it where you want it what good are $600 coil overs? They're just along for the ride.

Next is the controlled shortening of the spring to increase the spring rate.....

Then there are some other NICE custom suspension:

DSC02883_zpsee642e58.jpg

Picture1-7.png

coil-overconversion040.jpg

(This one is from the Pontiac Fiero forums) lol

PS; I know there are some topics already on people asking how to make collar shaft/custom coilovers with people responding on how to do so but this topic is meant to show off ones work on their own or add any suggestions for other people !

Enjoy !  :thumbup:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a pinned thread somewhere about this lol even if there is people don't use search function

Anyways, here's mine for science circa 2k13

did some work today. 280zx strut swap. i used the stock springs off my other 1978 510 wagon (green machine). it pulled the wheels in (i dont remember right now) about a half inch or so.

Also has new hoses!

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping002_zpsb9b1b9d1.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping003_zps529dcb5c.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping009_zps70bc819a.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping010_zps61831da3.j

Isn't there a pinned thread somewhere about this lol even if there is people don't use search function

Anyways, here's mine for science circa 2k13

Is there? I don't use the search function on Ratsun and just search google and add ratsun at the end? Anyways nice job  :thumbup:  Yours are sturdy and safe?

Is there? I don't use the search function on Ratsun and just search google and add ratsun at the end? Anyways nice job  :thumbup:  Yours are sturdy and safe?

yeah haha i do the same thing and yeah, they've been holding up since my junior year of high school 

• 2 weeks later...

The split/shaft collars are 2". As far as brakes, you won't be able to use your stock 510 calipers and rotors so you'll need to upgrade those as well. Unless you're going to buy new parts, you want to grab the strut with hub, rotor and caliper.