Transmission shopping!

I seriously doubt that a Datsun tow truck would be legal, and the axle is only rated for 1700lbs, I regularly exceed that weight, but with wood, not lifting a truck like a tow truck would..

This is my favorite wood load photo.

DSCN0393.JPG

Not like a tow truck. Like a hauling truck. Drags a trailer around get loads of wood a work truck I guess. If the trailer was set up right to hold its weight loaded/unloaded all the truck would be there for is to pull it and the load. Kinda what it looks like you have going with yours.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not like a tow truck. Like a hauling truck. Drags a trailer around get loads of wood a work truck I guess. If the trailer was set up right to hold its weight loaded/unloaded all the truck would be there for is to pull it and the load. Kinda what it looks like you have going with yours.

That is what I am using my truck for now, I haul a trailer around every day I work, the trailer has 3/4 of a ton of equipment in it, and I haul as much as a ton in it all the time.

Here is my truck with a ton on the flatbed, and a ton in the trailer, even though I have hardbody dual piston caliper disc brakes, it doesn't stop that great with 2 ton or more, the trailer has electric brakes also.

DSCN0874.JPG

DSCN0876.JPG

I use this setup every day I work, it works for me, but you have to drive ahead of yourself.

• Like 2

That is what I am using my truck for now, I haul a trailer around every day I work, the trailer has 3/4 of a ton of equipment in it, and I haul as much as a ton in it all the time.

Here is my truck with a ton on the flatbed, and a ton in the trailer, even though I have hardbody dual piston caliper disc brakes, it doesn't stop that great with 2 ton or more, the trailer has electric brakes also.

DSCN0874.JPG

DSCN0876.JPG

I use this setup every day I work, it works for me, but you have to drive ahead of yourself.

Thats so awesome. Id probably use it to tow my 4x4 around and haul wood home every year backup rig. Whats your gas mileage like and have you done anything to the motor?
  • Like 2

That truck had an L20b/dual SUs for years, it hauled around the trailer just fine, but it is pushing the limits of what the truck can do as an every day work truck, I have went thru several transmissions, 3 or 4 rearends, it hauled the trailer around great with 488 gears, but top speed was about 70 with that gearing, I like the 437 gears myself.

I now have an LZ23 hybrid engine, it made the truck way more derivable, I can keep up with traffic when it is stop and go now, fact is all my neighbors say I drive fast, probably because I pass them on the freeway, I think they all drive to slow myself.

I have never calculated my fuel mileage with the trailer, I really don't want to know to tell the truth, but I did get 23mpg going 80+mph when I was breaking the LZ23 engine in on a day trip, the truck was empty.

This type of setup is not for everyone, you have to drive ahead of yourself, you need to have enough time to make decisions if you get in trouble, I have drove up onto the sidewalk once, and up onto a lawn another time to avoid rear ending someone while hauling the trailer as I knew I didn't have the room to stop, so when and if you decide to start pushing the limits, you need to drive defensively.

• Like 2

That truck had an L20b/dual SUs for years, it hauled around the trailer just fine, but it is pushing the limits of what the truck can do as an every day work truck, I have went thru several transmissions, 3 or 4 rearends, it hauled the trailer around great with 488 gears, but top speed was about 70 with that gearing, I like the 437 gears myself.

I now have an LZ23 hybrid engine, it made the truck way more derivable, I can keep up with traffic when it is stop and go now, fact is all my neighbors say I drive fast, probably because I pass them on the freeway, I think they all drive to slow myself.

I have never calculated my fuel mileage with the trailer, I really don't want to know to tell the truth, but I did get 23mpg going 80+mph when I was breaking the LZ23 engine in on a day trip, the truck was empty.

This type of setup is not for everyone, you have to drive ahead of yourself, you need to have enough time to make decisions if you get in trouble, I have drove up onto the sidewalk once, and up onto a lawn another time to avoid rear ending someone while hauling the trailer as I knew I didn't have the room to stop, so when and if you decide to start pushing the limits, you need to drive defensively.

Yeah its good information though. Have you though about upgrading your breaks? A 720 z22/z24 would be cool.I bet the looks people give you are hilarious when you rip past them.
  • Like 2

Yeah its good information though. Have you though about upgrading your breaks? A 720 z22/z24 would be cool.I bet the looks people give you are hilarious when you rip past them.

As I said, the brakes are upgraded to hardbody 4X4 dual caliper disc brakes, same as the brakes on a 94 Pathfinder, but one can only stop 7400lbs so fast with any brakes made for a normal vehicle.

The only thought I have ever given the folks I pass is when they are in the center lane and I have to pass them on their right, I think that they need to learn how to drive.

• Like 2

DSCN0874.JPG

wayno, on 08 Feb 2015 - 7:54 PM, said:snapback.png

As you said Wayno you have 2 b aware and drive ahead of yourself @ full capacity. My father is a retired engineer from Southern Pacific Railroad....a standing rule was that you must always b able to stop in half the distance you can see. Yes I get funny looks passing people @ 70+(and accelerating) pulling a trailer. I know how 2 drive but never trust the other drivers on the road.....have been forced off the highway b4 towing a trailer @ 50+. Hit ditch so hard ripped rear frame horns off where bumper attaches. I saved it all but caution is key with a load. With elec brakes on my trailer  I can stop better than with no trailer. Always fun to grab controller on dash & lock up trailer axle and smoke tires....tailgaters back off lickety-split.

I have had 3060lbs(1.5 ton) of payload in a stock 720 b4.....18-2200lbs regular. GOOD tires mandatory!!

I have had truck-n- trailer total 10,000+lbs......with trailer breaks-sway bar hitch!!

Air bags in the rear the way to go! Load it till it squats....then add air till level.

I have had my dually truck officially loaded to 7200lbs, the truck itself weighs 3400lbs, so that meant I had 3800lbs of roofing on my truck(weighed at the dump in and out).

I have regular car tires on my truck, each car tire is rated for 1500lbs, and I have 4 of them back there, so I can haul more than I should. 

What is hilarious is that if I had ever got a flat when hauling any of these heavy loads, I would have had to unload half of it to be able to lift the back up to change the tire. :lol: 

• Like 1

I have had my dually truck officially loaded to 7200lbs, the truck itself weighs 3400lbs, so that meant I had 3800lbs of roofing on my truck(weighed at the dump in and out).

I have regular car tires on my truck, each car tire is rated for 1500lbs, and I have 4 of them back there, so I can haul more than I should.

What is hilarious is that if I had ever got a flat when hauling any of these heavy loads, I would have had to unload half of it to be able to lift the back up to change the tire. :lol:

Ever thought about doing a LSD from a pathfinder c200?

It seems like the easiest way to get 4.6 gears is to swap in the c200 rear axle from a later 720, so you have r180/c200 setup, then get the gears out of a hardbody or frontier. 4 cylinder 4x4 versions of both trucks ran that axle setup and gear ratio, so it should be easily junkyardable. Fender tag would read ca46.

For further info - http://forums.nicoclub.com/all-you-needed-to-know-about-nissan-axles-through-2004-t233955.html

• 2 weeks later...

Found this "mongrel" transmission with

3.678 first gear sounds pretth interesting and this write up http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49938-the-mongrel-gearbox-for-the-4x4-guyand-the-land-speed-record-guy/

So he used the input shaft from a nissan 720 4x4 stubby transmission or Sd22? Then 280zx full gear set. So If I find a stubby transmission 26.5" with that input shaft then get a 280zx gear set and put it all in a stubby case and bolt it to a z24?