Transmission shopping!

The 82.5 and on KC (the 4x4 ones did for sure) with Z24 engine usually had the same FS5W71B transmission but only 26" long.

The D21 Hardbody 4x4 KA transmission/trans cases also had the same bolt pattern as the Z24i engine and should work.

Alright thanks for the Info mike its always appreciated. Guess thats why your king rat? Haha. Iv been having debates on transmissions/tcase set ups. Its driving me up the wall I can find threads on the dual t100 t cases but cant find photos. Really the bigest reason I want to do it and they are some tough t cases. Iv been debating about doing a z24i intake/tbi swap. But at the same time multi port injection from a 200sx like what sealik did would be cool to. I just never have done anything with fuel injection so im a little hesitant. But maybe a z24 engine+tranny swap would be a nice swap. The truck has had 2 z20's and a z22. Think I should try a z24 just for giggles.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little info if it helps. My 85 had z24 with 4.11s. I ran 31x10.5s with a 3in body lift. Shoulb be able to find those diffs pretty easily. To double transfer case it, id think about that d21 married tcase out to a 720 divorced. Easiest option.

I think Im gunna do some more looking and try to find some 4.11s or higher.

I had Z24 with 4.11s and 33x12.5 and you can forget driving on windy days, or passing, or up hill climbs on the highway. Going from a stock 720 tire to 33s on a 4.11 differential is the same as replacing the 4.11 with a 3.21 ratio.

If going large tire go 4.625 or 4.88s even higher.

I had Z24 with 4.11s and 33x12.5 and you can forget driving on windy days, or passing, or up hill climbs on the highway. Going from a stock 720 tire to 33s on a 4.11 differential is the same as replacing the 4.11 with a 3.21 ratio.

If going large tire go 4.625 or 4.88s even higher.

what years can i find 4.625? Im assuming the code is HE46. I would love to be able to drive on windy days and passing. I do alright with my 3.88s and 29s but I wish it had more balls then it does. Seems really sluggish and I cant spin my tires for the life of me enless in 4 lo and off pavement. Its kind of depressing my bald 31s spun better on pavement then the year old 29s I have that I bought new.

what years can i find 4.625? Im assuming the code is HE46. I would love to be able to drive on windy days and passing. I do alright with my 3.88s and 29s but I wish it had more balls then it does. Seems really sluggish and I cant spin my tires for the life of me enless in 4 lo and off pavement. Its kind of depressing my bald 31s spun better on pavement then the year old 29s I have that I bought new.

1980 Datsun 720 4X4 had 4.625 gears front and rear, but one has to find one.

You know wayno, I've never seen a short wheelbase or long box 720 4x4 up here. They are all KC.

My dad has one. But he wont let me have his gears at all even though his truck is sitting half assedly on chevy 1/2 ton axles. What years had the 4.88s or did any have them? Sounds like theyd be better than the 4.625

I had a 1980 longbox 720 with the 4.625 gears, I sold the front diff to a dirt track guy for his 510, the rearend, I don't recall where that went, might still be in the back yard.

I also have a C200 dually rearend in the back with 4.625 gears. :lol:

Hmmm when I get another truck I might be interested in the whole dually rearend.
  • Like 1

I actually bought it as a parts rearend, you see I wore one out in my work truck, and then I figured out that the 85/86 Nissan 720 4X4 trucks also had a C200 rearend, but they were not a dually rearend, well it turned out that the carrier is the same on both rearends, so I fixed my wore out rearend with a 4X4 carrier, which was great and all, till my diff got a leak and ran out of fluid, so I stopped and filled it back up, but now it has a whine at a certain speed.

So I will likely be keeping this rearend in case mine goes out again, as they are hard to find these days.

Well when you use it Id love to see the build. :)

You could check into mobile home scrap yards, that is what this 4.625 dually rearend came out of, a mobile home.

• Like 1

I actually bought it as a parts rearend, you see I wore one out in my work truck, and then I figured out that the 85/86 Nissan 720 4X4 trucks also had a C200 rearend, but they were not a dually rearend, well it turned out that the carrier is the same on both rearends, so I fixed my wore out rearend with a 4X4 carrier, which was great and all, till my diff got a leak and ran out of fluid, so I stopped and filled it back up, but now it has a whine at a certain speed.

So I will likely be keeping this rearend in case mine goes out again, as they are hard to find these days.

You could check into mobile home scrap yards, that is what this 4.625 dually rearend came out of, a mobile home.

Ill keep that in mind. I would love to do a datsun dually tow truck setup
  • Like 1

would it change my top speed in 2wd?

Yes it would. You would be moving slower with 4.625s  than with say 4.375s at the same RPMs. It is possible that if the engine is not at it's maximum RPMs, the 4.625s will allow it to rev up and make more power and be able to go faster than the 4.375s.

• Like 1

Yes it would. You would be moving slower with 4.625s than with say 4.375s at the same RPMs. It is possible that if the engine is not at it's maximum RPMs, the 4.625s will allow it to rev up and make more power and be able to go faster than the 4.375s.

Would it go slower with smaller tires or faster? If I used 22" tires over 33" tires? So is that more power that goes to the tires or power range? I dont know a whole lot about gearing besides 4.11s are what most people refer to for offroad/towing.
  • Like 1

I seriously doubt that a Datsun tow truck would be legal, and the axle is only rated for 1700lbs, I regularly exceed that weight, but with wood, not lifting a truck like a tow truck would..

This is my favorite wood load photo.

DSCN0393.JPG

Ill keep that in mind. I would love to do a datsun dually tow truck setup

• Like 1