4spd to 5spd...

Papi Slicc

Hey yall it's me again with probably another question that has been asked a 1,000 times but here it goes.

I think I've finally found my dime but it's a 4spd and don't ask me why but I'd like to have it converted to a 5spd.

Is that possible and what would be needed to do the job and roughly how much would the damage be?

Oh the reason this is such a big dilemma is because again I live in Canada where it's damn near impossible to find a 510, so I'm really hoping to pick this one up so that I can avoid having to deal with shipping one in from outside my country if at all possible.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do the research cause this is one of the most commonly asked questions on here

in essence any L series tranny will fit any L series motor

you may have to have the driveshaft altered in length

you may need a modified or custom tranny mount

most common for you 510 guys is a 280Zx five speed

a "dogleg" five from an early 200sx will also fit 

• Like 1

There are at least 4 Nissan 5 speeds that will bolt to your dime but some are a 'why would you want to'.

Hands down easiest is the FS5W63A  '77-'79 S10 (200sx) 5 speed AKA the 'dogleg' because of it's Reverse above first shift pattern and funny shift into second. It has exactly the same 1-4 gears as your 510 but with a 15% overdrive 5th. It's also the same length so the drive shaft will fit and the speedometer cable is on the same side. Only the transmission mount needs modification to bolt in. The down side is these transmissions are rare. (only in the S10 and an even rarer option on the early A10) Add to this they are adequately strong enough for the L20B and are 45 years old and well worn by now. For light duty L16 to L20B engine use get it rebuilt first.

The best would be the FS5W71B designed to handle a 170hp 280z car and also rugged enough for use in the 620 and later 720 trucks. Strong enough for three L16 engines the FS5W71B was used in the 280z, 280zx, 620 truck, the 810/Maxima and first year 720 so there are lots of them out there. If you include all non L series vehicles, it was also used on the S110 and S12 (200sx) and the Z series gas and diesel engine 720s. That's a lot of spare parts should you need them later. For this you will need to shorten your driveshaft unless you go with the http://community.rat...hl=+five +speed (above)

Burlington?

• Like 1

Get a 720 short tranny. Swap front case.. short 5 speed created.

Even with a dogleg you will either need to make spacers to drop the tranny or in my case I had to buy a new rear crossmember because the mount holes wouldnt line up.

Lots of 5 speed options. I'm not a big fan of hacking up the body.. then shortening the driveline. It's definitely an option though.

• Like 1