lost building 69 datsun 521

AmmonsC9

hi im kinda new to ratsun i come on here when i have questons but this is my first post. Im just in some dire need for help gone as far as i could on my own. ive been building this 521 pickup it has had lots of work before i got it and after. but im having issuse with finding what transmission i have and where to get parts for it. the person before me did a motor and tranny swap. putting a L20b in it and a five speed. Heres a couple pictures any advice would help.

64389_10205313302301779_6250958584920785

10923195_10205806357667855_4122891053409

5743_10202983012685995_1101884061_n.jpg?

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dime Quarterly Volume 11 issue 4. Transmission identification (with pictures!!!)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?ddrp=1&id=0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1#

11-4DQ510transID.png

It's primarily for 510s but will work just as well for a 521 with a swapped L series engine too. Covers all 4 and 5 speeds and 3 and 4 speed automatics.

• Like 3

You are new to Ratsun.  If you had been here for a while, you would have known by taking a picture of the transmission, and posting it, DatzenMike could have told you what transmission it was, what vehicle it came out of, and probably its gear ratios.

But welcome!

Okay, that was a little harsh.  Feel free to ask more questions, but do a search first.  On a 45 year old truck, probably most questions that are going to be asked about it have already been asked.

Wash under the front fenders in these areas.  Up over the top of the headlight buckets.  At the top, by the cowl, up high, and the lower part, in back, where the fender bolts to the cab.

Pull the floor mats, or carpet, or whatever is on the floor, and check for rust there.

Here is an electrical diagram.

521wires.jpg

Here is an on line parts catalog.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun520/Datsun520521Index.aspx

• Like 2

it needs a rebuild the it kicks out of secound and sounds like its slightly grinding or vibrating in fourth and fifth and it has a odd shift pattern where reverse in up at the dash and goes from there and would have taken pictures but still having to drive it so all i got is under truck photos i do know the motor is out of an 78 510 but having issuse with finding anything on my tranny so i can get a rebuild kit. is there any numbers or something to look at on the casing?

also thank you for all the help

• Like 2

That's called a dogleg transmission out of a 1977 thru 1979 Datsun 200SX, it is popular because it's a short shaft, and will almost bolt into a 510/521, they are not on MY top 10 list of 5 speed transmissions, they were made for cars, so when they are used in trucks, and the truck is used as a truck to haul stuff or tow a trailer, they don't last long, especially in 5th, I went thru 4 of them in 5 years.

it needs a rebuild the it kicks out of secound and sounds like its slightly grinding or vibrating in fourth and fifth and it has a odd shift pattern where reverse in up at the dash and goes from there and would have taken pictures but still having to drive it so all i got is under truck photos i do know the motor is out of an 78 510 but having issuse with finding anything on my tranny so i can get a rebuild kit. is there any numbers or something to look at on the casing?

also thank you for all the help

• Like 3

It's hard for me to be un-bias about them, I would not own another one except the ones in a B210 or something with an A block, a small vehicle, others have used them for years.

They are getting hard to find, and I hear are expensive to rebuild.

You can put together a transmission out of a 1985/86 Nissan 720 regular cab short box truck transmission, and the front case off a 1980 Datsun 720 4 or 5 speed transmission that will bolt into your 521 truck since you already have all the modifications, as the dogleg was already in there, it is a much better transmission, but you have to put it together.

I have put together several of them, one a couple weeks ago, but all the parts have to be acquired, it's easy to do, here is a link to a thread I wrote about just this. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

• Like 2

There is no other one that will bolt into where your dogleg is except for a stock 4 speed.

The fact is that until they made that shortshaft 5 speed in the 85 720, all that was out there was the dogleg when it came out in 1977, and the roadster 5 speed with a very rare European front case.

Back then most just modified there trucks to use the Datsun 620 longshaft 5 speed, or one of the L block Z car longshaft 5 speeds.

Thank you wayno very helpfull but is the one in your thread one of the best transmissions I can run with my l20b I'm willing to put the money out for the best.

• Like 1

If you decide to change the transmission to a longer better transmission you will need to get a 1 piece drive line and mod your transmission mount. 

Your transmission mount should look something like this when done modding.

IMG_0555_zps9761cc9a.jpg

Measure for drive line length after installing transmission.

figure3.jpg

If you decide to change out the trans to one like Wayno's let us know I can provide more in formation and I am sure Wayno will be able to help where I can not.

• Like 1

He already has a dogleg in it Charlie, the driveline and transmission mount are already done, it's just going bad like all them doglegs do in trucks that are used as trucks. :(

The easiest fix is to just find another used dogleg I guess, I see one in the junk yards around here every once in a while, usually in a 521, but every once in a while a 200SX shows up, but not very often, it's kinda funny, I see them in 521s more than I see them in 200SXs. :lol:

Here is a 77 200sx in a yard, 508 miles from me, and one doesn't know if it has the transmission in it anymore, and even if it's a 5 speed of not.

Fact is in the long run, it might be easier to have yours rebuilt if you can find someone to do it, but it would be cheaper to make a shortshaft like I described in an earlier post.

Pick-n-Pull - Fairfield   [More Information]

4659 Air Base Parkway
Fairfield, CA 94533 US   

707-425-1044

Store Layout Map  |  Part Pricing

Make Model Year Row Date On Yard Datsun 200SX 77 0016 12/11/2014

If you decide to change the transmission to a longer better transmission you will need to get a 1 piece drive line and mod your transmission mount. 

Your transmission mount should look something like this when done modding.

IMG_0555_zps9761cc9a.jpg

Measure for drive line length after installing transmission.

figure3.jpg

If you decide to change out the trans to one like Wayno's let us know I can provide more in formation and I am sure Wayno will be able to help where I can not.

• Like 1

i work at an auto parts store so i found what i need to build it and its only about $100 but i got to check to make sure the case is still good other that i picked up a five speed out of a truck thatll get me by only thing is i think its a long shaft instead of a short but itll mount up. but now the issuse i have it the brakes whats the best conversion to disk because the drum ones i have barely stop me lol but thank you guys for all the transmission help its got me alot farther then i did in the past year.

• Like 1