Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what the whole plan is for her yet. But 300 dollar 83 nissan 720 2wd it has a 31" transmission so I think Im going to pull the transmission put it in the 4x4 and rebuild the z24 in it and get a transmission lower it a little new tires make it a commuter/daily driver/sleeper/racetruck haha. Still undecided. Z24 in it is sized/warped head might be a headgasket. Tomorrow Im gunna play with it some more. Flywheel and transmission maybe the old clutch (dont have much till next payday) will transfer over with the transmission or motor shift fork as well. Etheir way most places wanted 400 found a few people selling transmissions for decent prices. But the parts truck and all the extra parts it came with (weber 32/36 maybe a 38) transmission door handles tailgate other random things. Mostly the transmission is my big thing. Might keep it might scrap it. But I really like the 2wd probably going to keep it and fix it up. Named her Hershey Squirt. Hahaha

20150315_121319_zpsyz1iyxgx.jpg

20150315_121329_zpslklymkkh.jpg

OK, keep in mind that you have to measure the clutch disc of both rigs, if they are the same size, then the collar in the 83 will work on the 81, but if the 83 has a 240mm clutch disc, then you have to move everything to the 81, flywheel, disc, clutch cover, and the collar, the collar has to stay with the flywheel/disc/clutch cover if it is 240mm.

OK, keep in mind that you have to measure the clutch disc of both rigs, if they are the same size, then the collar in the 83 will work on the 81, but if the 83 has a 240mm clutch disc, then you have to move everything to the 81, flywheel, disc, clutch cover, and the collar, the collar has to stay with the flywheel/disc/clutch cover if it is 240mm.

thats the plan :) wanted to upgrade to a z24 flywheel eventually anyways. I was pretty happy when I meausred the transmission and it was the same length! Ill post pictures once I get it out

Wayno have you ever put a 2wd transmission into a 4x4? How would i go about covering the hole for the Speedometer on the 2wd tranny?
  • Like 1

I have seen 2wd transmissions in 4wd trucks.

I guess I would just pull out the speedo drive gear and make a small plate to cover the hole with some silicone or form a gasket on it, or you could even make a gasket out of a cereal box with some silicone on it.

Wayno have you ever put a 2wd transmission into a 4x4? How would i go about covering the hole for the Speedometer on the 2wd tranny?

I have seen 2wd transmissions in 4wd trucks.

I guess I would just pull out the speedo drive gear and make a small plate to cover the hole with some silicone or form a gasket on it, or you could even make a gasket out of a cereal box with some silicone on it.

Found a genius way and you dont need to take the speedo gear out. The 45°angle sparkplug boot

20150317_155437_zpsxeadukcd.jpg

20150317_160726_zpsph1fdvpv.jpg

Little to much rtv but just wanted to make sure it didnt leak anything out or in. And a bolt to plug the other end. Nice and tight make sure to put the nut in after you put the boot over otherwise it wont go on.

Next question and I feel rediculous asking. Butt. Weber 32/36 in the 81 with a z20.

20150317_165421_zpscvtkuc6j.jpg

The z24 720 I just got has a weber 36/32 is there a difference or is it just printed backwards? 20150317_165517_zpsuywli3rg.jpg

Finally photo of the two trucks together since Iv been working on swapping trans and flywheels. IMG_20150317_170045_zpsytz9qaal.jpg

The great pumkin and Hershey Squirt.

Hershey needs a new transmission and motor rebuild/swap. Right now I just have to put the transmission in and put the new clutch in. Z24 flywheel and clutch. Should be done in the next couple days.

• Like 1

I ran the pinion in place. Removed the screw on part from a cable end and urethaned the opening closed. Screwed it on and good to go.

I would have just pulled out the speedo sensor and put in a rubber expanding plug, and bolted the little mount tab back in over it.

Will work, if it's not rubber. Rubber is disolved by petroleum products. Last thing you want is the plug failing 3 months fronm now on way to Canby and siezing the trans.

• Like 1

I ran the pinion in place. Removed the screw on part from a cable end and urethaned the opening closed. Screwed it on and good to go.

Will work, if it's not rubber. Rubber is disolved by petroleum products. Last thing you want is the plug failing 3 months fronm now on way to Canby and siezing the trans.

ill have to try that. That would suck ass. Now my next quesiton transmission is in trucks driving again but it pops out of 5th as soon as i take my hand off the shifter. My old trans popped out of 2nd gear once on me this one consistently pops out of just 5th nothing else does that mean its a warn syncro?
  • Like 1

ill have to try that. That would suck ass. Now my next quesiton transmission is in trucks driving again but it pops out of 5th as soon as i take my hand off the shifter. My old trans popped out of 2nd gear once on me this one consistently pops out of just 5th nothing else does that mean its a warn syncro?

Well the mainshaft nut on the early 71Bs used to sometimes loosen off. This is what held the 5th and revers gears in place. It's the large nut below. It backs off to the right and so does the speedometer worm gear just to the left of it and the 5th gear just to the left of it. This is a later model with a shoulder on the nut that is staked to prevent this from happening. Maybe it was apart and the re-builder didn't stake the nut? or tighten it to over 100 ft. lbs.

transFS5W71B5thandrev001.jpg

• Like 1

Flywheel bolts do not need loctite. They do need to be tightened to spec with a torque wrench.

Causes of Datsun flywheel bolts coming loose include:

* Not tightened enough

* over tightened, which weakens the bolt

* excessive RPM e.g. greater than 8000 rpm over time

* engine vibration due to changing pistons and not getting engine rebalanced

From personal experience.....

Letting engine sit and the crank threads get rusty. Assemble next summer but by fall the bolts all sheered off. Rust caused the bolts to torque up nice and tight but were not deep enough and were barely clamping the flywheel.

From personal experience.....

Letting engine sit and the crank threads get rusty. Assemble next summer but by fall the bolts all sheered off. Rust caused the bolts to torque up nice and tight but were not deep enough and were barely clamping the flywheel.

Damnn. I have to go back in and re tighten the flywheel bolts AGAIN after i just got everything back together. But still only 5 bolts will go in most likely I'm not sure. Me and my buddy tightened those SOBs tight. Like he held the motor and I tightend 3 we swapped out he did the last 3 and re checked my 3 while I held the motor still on top of the loctite we put on it. I did a remanufactured engine swap and bolted the flywheel bolts on by myself without loctite and they never EVER came loose till I broke them loose to swap the flywheel, cltuch, and transmission. the sound Didnt start till after I shifted at 5k rpms from first to 2nd gear and it was very faint and only when I was coasting. That was like 5 or 6 miles from my house. By the time I got home it was louder and more constant but only when I was going slow under 1.5k-2k rpms or shifting at 3.5k. I drove the Truck a total of 20 miles today. The old flywheel had alost 5-6 thousand miles on it and counting. I literally drove 20 miles in all today. To work and back home since I tightend the bolts. it had 10 miles not even before it came loose the first time. Im so confused right now