Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

IF... it was full. You say the clutch was replaced by a shop? Trans can't be removed without draining it or it will spill out... either way it will need filling after it's put back in. To loose that amount, the back of the transmission would be wet all the way back to the differential. Bet they never gave it a thought and it was dry. I wouldn't go back there again.

nah trucks only seen the exhaust shop not any others the shop just pressed the bearing into thw collar for me. I did the cltuch myself in my driveway. Never thought of checking the transmission fluid cause it only seemed to leak a little out then it stopped. But it leaked out alot it looks like.
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may have been low befor too. I usually drain it befor trying to remove. This is even more important in a truck because of the wrestling involved. I have a couple of spare splines I stick in the end to seal them up.

yeah thats what I ended up doing as I did some ujoints at the same time. I also have 2 different length splines its a noticeable size difference too.

Well I checked and I was deffinatly low on gear oil. Had to stick my finger in the hole and wasnt any on it. Took a quick drive to my uncles and pumped some gear oil in I dont know how much I put in maybe a quart or less. Seemed to be full not to sure because I ran out of gear oil. So come next payday I'll buy some gear oil and makesure its full. Maybe just drain it all out and replace all the gear oil. Seems to be shifting alot better.

nah trucks only seen the exhaust shop not any others the shop just pressed the bearing into thw collar for me. I did the cltuch myself in my driveway. Never thought of checking the transmission fluid cause it only seemed to leak a little out then it stopped. But it leaked out alot it looks like.

Buddy! Of course it's shifting better with gear oil! I can't believe you couldn't touch any with your finger. That would make my eyes bulge and heart miss a beat! You knew it leaked oil from the transmission, then you knew it stopped. Maybe it stopped leaking because it had no more fluid to leak!? Come on man! I'm not trying to be a hater. But it was all there. I'm glad you got it all together and filled without causing to much damage. I can't imagine running it that low is good at any speed or distance. Amazing testimony to a transmission. Better check ALL your fluids from here friend. If you want to stay on the road.

Buddy! Of course it's shifting better with gear oil! I can't believe you couldn't touch any with your finger. That would make my eyes bulge and heart miss a beat! You knew it leaked oil from the transmission, then you knew it stopped. Maybe it stopped leaking because it had no more fluid to leak!? Come on man! I'm not trying to be a hater. But it was all there. I'm glad you got it all together and filled without causing to much damage. I can't imagine running it that low is good at any speed or distance. Amazing testimony to a transmission. Better check ALL your fluids from here friend. If you want to stay on the road.

Iv done lots of things your not supposed to with the truck. But in my defence it really wasnt alot that leaked out. I caught it all in a old foldgers coffee can till it stopped because I didnt want gear oil all over my back. I didnt realized the transmission held that little gear oil... or maybe it has a leak somewhere. I dont really know till I drain it I guess

This still doesn't address the cause of the leak.

But I dont know how much is in it neither just that it was low. It would be safer to drain whats left because its etheir old or empty with what new gear oil I put in and fill it with the proper gear oil and check for leaks. Also does anyone happen to have a part # for the release collar for a 81 720 4x4 with the FS5W71B? Or where I can buy a new one? Are the clutches different for z20/z22? Because I have a z22 fly wheel on. Enless they are all the same as well.

It should be a 225mm clutch. Pull off and verify before buying it. Most clutches come with the correct release collar matched to the clutch. Should be 20210-Y0100 for the PP

the last 2 clutch kits I have gotten dont come with a release collar jusy throwout bearings. Like the guy at the autoparts said "its a existing part. I just cant find it" If I can get just the collar itselfs part number he can probably find it. I belive the clutch I got was a 225mm it wouldnt have fit if it was bigger or smaller right? Cause I made sure it was the right one. Me and my dad both were rather confused to see just the bearing and no release collar enless it has many different names? Figure it wouldn't hurt to try abd find/get a new one just so it can get replaced if it is the problem.

I have never seen a kit with the collar, I recently heard of one having it.

I am used to removing the old bearing and pressing on the new throw out bearing.

this has been my first clutch replacement. Not sure if the throw out bearing was pressed on wrong or if its the collar. I think my dads pathfinder came with a bearing+collar with his clutch kit. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something or my old collar is causing me all this grief. I dont want to be replacing a clutch every 6 months or so. Shoot this one was put in around august sometime. I had just put the new engine and clutch towards the end of June and around the 23rd of august I blew out the center in my clutch disk and got it all replaced and what not (under warranty) around the 28th/29th of august. Its a big enough pain id consider replacing the tranny at the same time just so it will all be newish.

My dad just showed me his last clutch kit for his 80s longbed after he swapped a z20-24 into his truck. Its a performance clutch and I got the part number for it. He also said it came with the bearing+collar together. Hopefully the guy at the autoparts store can find it, its like 12 years old. I think it's a stage 2 racing clutch.

The Z20 and Z24 used a 240mm flywheel and clutch.

Maybe like half a liter of oil and it was out the back where the primary driveline goes in.

This is good news and it can be fixed on the truck and for under $5! Just ask for rear seal, Nissan part  32136-U0100. Remove driveshaft, pry old seal out with long screwdriver, start new seal, place block of wood over it and drive it in. Finish by tapping in all the way with a wooden dowel. Be sure to grease the seal lips so it doesn't start up dry.

There are variances in size even for the 225mm pressure plate and discs. With the PP installed, measure down from the back of the collar (with bearing installed) down through it, past the diaphragm fingers, to the flywheel surface. If you have the correct collar, this distance will be about 90mm or about 3.5"

The Z20 and Z24 used a 240mm flywheel and clutch.

This is good news and it can be fixed on the truck and for under $5! Just ask for rear seal, Nissan part 32136-U0100. Remove driveshaft, pry old seal out with long screwdriver, start new seal, place block of wood over it and drive it in. Finish by tapping in all the way with a wooden dowel. Be sure to grease the seal lips so it doesn't start up dry.

There are variances in size even for the 225mm pressure plate and discs. With the PP installed, measure down from the back of the collar (with bearing installed) down through it, past the diaphragm fingers, to the flywheel surface. If you have the correct collar, this distance will be about 90mm or about 3.5"

I LOVE cheap fixes I will have to do that once i get money. So the z20/z24 use a 240mm and a z22 used a 225mm clutch? Cause if that's the case I'm positive its a 225mm clutch because I got one that was just slightly bigger and wouldnt fit so I'm assuming it was a 240mm. Wont know for sure about the collar till I take it apart to measure but that would mean my collar is more than likely the right size? Because it never had these kind of problems with the original clutch I had and the first new clutch I put in worked perfectly fine till the center shattered out. Then this one I had to make the pushrod for. Just a thought I had.

Here's my dads 12+ year old clutch kit box

20150124_082459_zpslwx84vkx.jpg

• Like 1

Pressure plates range from 200mm to 225mm to 240mm diameters and have a variety of clamping forces to the clutch discs. To accomplish this the designs call for different heights from the diaphragm fingers down to the flywheel surface. They are physically taller or shorter usually because of the strength designed into them. There are even different heights within each of these three diameters.

The clutch arm has to swing through a limited range of motion on the transmission 'nose'. It can't sit forward off the end of the transmission nose by simply using a longer push rod on the slave. To accommodate a taller or shorter PP the collar that holds the release bearing is selected to keep the clutch arm properly positioned.

Pressure plates range from 200mm to 225mm to 240mm diameters and have a variety of clamping forces to the clutch discs. To accomplish this the designs call for different heights from the diaphragm fingers down to the flywheel surface. They are physically taller or shorter usually because of the strength designed into them. There are even different heights within each of these three diameters.

The clutch arm has to swing through a limited range of motion on the transmission 'nose'. It can't sit forward off the end of the transmission nose by simply using a longer push rod on the slave. To accommodate a taller or shorter PP the collar that holds the release bearing is selected to keep the clutch arm properly positioned.

so if I get a clutch kit with the collar and the right clutch I shouldnt have any problems?