Rear ended in the 521

josh817

Well all my bitching about a squealing belt and cold weather has been topped off with a rear end collision. Hefty bumper took the brunt of it but my tailgate is bowed in, but still opens easily. Tail lights are crushed. On the right top edge of the tailgate it rubs on the quarter panel. You guys think it's just from bent tail gate or do you think the hefty bumper transfered that energy into bending my frame?

Need to know if you guys have or know a source for a set of tail lights and tailgate. I can get NOS lights from New Datsun Parts for... $560 (but insurance will pay). The tailgate I'm not sure on. Don't know if the 620 shared the same tailgate.

Even if you don't have one, maybe you guys can give me a good estimate on what they're worth. This is the 3rd time I've dealt with USAA on a vintage car and both times they didn't have a quote book for 60's/70's vehicles so they accepted prices I found.

Will have pictures in a second.

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not what you want to hear, because it was a fairly good deal, but I bought a pretty much NOS 521 tailgate for $182.50 on ebay.  Here is the auction for reference:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-520-521-truck-tailgate-for-1966-1971-/200928768173?viewitem=&vxp=mtr&item=200928768173&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AMOTORS%3A1123&nma=true&si=4FehSzUkdFbhFhrv2T7mMHVxWW4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

2OH9Gku.jpg

wPGp4dV.jpg

mCG5AGO.jpg

Bottom corner is pushed in slightly but it doesn't seem bad.

40WHXdP.jpg

bdGld2P.jpg

nwCmf0t.jpg

ickEuAx.jpg

QPQGwlr.jpg

JbyYqZk.jpg

Bent the lights back into position. Bulbs still work except for the turn signals...

2miOzyq.jpg

Head hit the rear window pretty good so I'm going to get a checkup.

In the meantime, if you guys have tailgates/lights you want to sell or have an idea as to how much they go for, that would be awesome. Remember the highest I've seen has been $560 and is the only option thus far so as long as you're under that, it's a deal to the insurance company and myself.

Thanks

EDIT:

As usual, fast replies from you guys, awesome! The tailgate works as is but I will be including it on the repair list. If I have to wait, it doesn't bother me. The lights need fixing though.

• Like 1

I go to the adjuster on Tuesday at a collision place. Last time it was pretty awkward, it was USAA as well, and the second visit from them. The guy was like "haven't I been to this location before?"..... yah but that was a 240Z, now it's a TR3, and NOW it's a 521.

They've been pretty good honestly. No hassles or scrutiny.

The first and the last time I will say it.... but I'd rather get banged in the rear than the front. :blush:  A frontal hit would probably break me and my Handsome Roman Featured Face.

• Like 1

The other persons insurance will total it, do you want the truck to have a blemished title?

I would try to settle the wreck privately if possible, but if the other party takes the "that truck is a piece of junk" attitude, just point out that if a accident report is filed, then it's on the record, and their insurance will go up eventually.

I cannot see that much damage in the photos except that the taillights are toast, one likely can find a used set of used taillights for under a couple hundred, and a used tailgate for a couple hundred plus shipping.

Another note, once you have a blemished title, if your hit by someone else, their insurance company will not give you a dime for your truck legally, as it was totaled already.

• Like 1

The other persons insurance will total it, do you want the truck to have a blemished title?

I would try to settle the wreck privately if possible, but if the other party takes the "that truck is a piece of junk" attitude, just point out that if a accident report is filed, then it's on the record, and their insurance will go up eventually.

I cannot see that much damage in the photos except that the taillights are toast, one likely can find a used set of used taillights for under a couple hundred, and a used tailgate for a couple hundred plus shipping.

Another note, once you have a blemished title, if your hit by someone else, their insurance company will not give you a dime for your truck legally, as it was totaled already.

Tell me more about this, as this situation is different (rusty heap) compared to the other two. She said her deductible was $500 but she went ahead and called her insurance before I did. What counts as a claim, them sending a check or them simply knowing something happened? Basically is it too late to go private? If they say they want to total it can I say no thanks and speak with her privately?

• Like 1

I mean, are they two separate claims, her repairs and mine? Surely they aren't going to say

Her hood: $750

Radiator: $750

Bumper: $750

Datsun lights: $200

tailgate: $200

750+750+750+200+200 = $2650 your car is only $3000, totalled.

I'd think my repairs would be held against me, separate from hers.

Flatcat19 you have a lot of hate towards the Juke, I can see that much.

• Like 1

Tell me more about this, as this situation is different (rusty heap) compared to the other two. She said her deductible was $500 but she went ahead and called her insurance before I did. What counts as a claim, them sending a check or them simply knowing something happened? Basically is it too late to go private? If they say they want to total it can I say no thanks and speak with her privately?

It's likely to late already, I don't even know what will happen now, as flatcat said, your likely not going to like this ride unless you don't get on the ride at all, but it might already be to late.

If the damage isn't to bad, and you can live with the loss that you have now, and you don't want a blemished title, I would walk away if you can, but first I would find out if you can legally walk away now, talk to your insurance agent, see if he thinks you can walk away.

• Like 1

I'm no lawyer but I suspect any rear end collision is the rear enders fault. They took my statement on the phone (just sitting at a light), they said it was their responsibility, the construction crew right by the light saw it.

I would think if I threw up my hands and said no thanks then they would cheer and say thanks bro.

But before we get all doom and gloom there is still wiggle room. I'll be honest, I don't give a shit if they're the original long lights or the smaller rectangular ones that earlier/asian market trucks had, which are currently on ebay from Thailand for $25. My father has a restoration shop and I can make a panel for them. I told the agent I do my own work, I will not have someone else handling the car. I have plenty of fall backs, between negotiating price and trying to keep it as low as possible but if I get the chance to repair it correctly I will take it.

Have you dealt with USAA? Is this common? Like I said before, I had them come by twice for damages. $1400 for an airdam/headlight bucket/hood for my 240Z and god knows how much for the TR3 (it started at $8000 and went up because it was kind of low for the job). Both situations they looked at what I printed off from online stores and the catalog/labor book for the TR3. Granted the TR3 was a $45-50k show car. No hesitation, no questions asked, just said ok and went with it. The TR3 needed more money throughout the process since restorations are kind of a floating price and from what I heard they came back out no problem.

I'm going to try to keep my cool until Tuesday. We will see.

EDIT: While we are discussing, I'm going to go ahead and collect some 521 sales from craigslist and ebay, along with the cost of the gear I have on mine, and then I'll give her a bath to make her slightly less ratty looking. Have all this shit printed off in case if they throw me the big one.

• Like 1

There are a lot of reasons it can be made your fault, in my state, if the car isn't licensed it's your fault, if it's not insured, it's your fault because you were not supposed to have it on the road in the first place, same with your license, if you don't have one it's your fault as you were not supposed to be driving.

I am not trying to scare you, I just am old and have heard everything, you got rear ended, and it sounds like that part has already been determined, now you have to deal with the ins. company, they will do everything they can to cut the loss to a minimum on their end of it, totaling it will likely be the cheapest for them.

• Like 1