Looking at a Datsun 620 for sale, need opinions on it!

PhobicBanana

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a '73 Datsun 620, I don't know a whole lot about Datsun's and would like the opinion of a couple people who do. Here is a couple pictures of the Truck i'm looking at. Any advice on where to look for problems or anything to keep my eyes out for when I take a look at the truck in person would be greatly appreciated.

00404_6EL5dObio03_600x450.jpg

00l0l_1oCtk8SqqTS_600x450.jpg

00G0G_9LhjmaxG2Iu_600x450.jpg

01313_4YTBXZqnoVX_600x450.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Mr. Banana, welcome to Ratsun. Looks like a reasonable example of an early 620 body.

What about the interior, specially the floors under the mats around the mounting points to the frame?

Dash? Electrical... does it look original or has some owner butchered the wiring? Does everything work? What doesn't work?

Lights all work, signals, marker, tail?

Does it run? Restart? Run hot? Idle properly?

Steer straight when driving? Strange sounds. Wheel loose and sloppy

Front tires worn unevenly. Tires all match or three different makes?

Brakes pull to one side

• Like 1

I think that might be the fender isn't mounted quite right, looks like the windshield wiper cowl is pushed up on that end along with some rust coming from the seam of it. Passenger side rocker panel rusted through you may want to look at the frame and see how rusty it is down there. Maybe a rust hole at the top of the passenger fender as well. Looks like the bed is mostly whole except for a cancer spot above drivers side wheel. Look real close at all the reddish brownish spots because I think it's rust inhibitor spray. Look at the drivers side inner fender and check for and wrinkles. Look at the battery tray and in behind the seat for rust as well.

And what dr.feltersnach asked, how much are they asking?, personally it would be a stretch to get me to pay $1500 for what I'm seeing in the pictures and that's if it's a reliable runner

• Like 1

It looks like there is a fitment issue at the top of the drivers door by the fender. I would investigate to determine the cause: could be nothing, could be something...

Driver's door was replaced and not lined up properly? The rest is just primer.

• Like 1

I think that might be the fender isn't mounted quite right, looks like the windshield wiper cowl is pushed up on that end along with some rust coming from the seam of it. Passenger side rocker panel rusted through you may want to look at the frame and see how rusty it is down there. Maybe a rust hole at the top of the passenger fender as well. Looks like the bed is mostly whole except for a cancer spot above drivers side wheel. Look real close at all the reddish brownish spots because I think it's rust inhibitor spray. Look at the drivers side inner fender and check for and wrinkles. Look at the battery tray and in behind the seat for rust as well.

And what dr.feltersnach asked, how much are they asking?, personally it would be a stretch to get me to pay $1500 for what I'm seeing in the pictures and that's if it's a reliable runner

You're probably right on the fender. It's just so hard to tell what's what from a picture...

• Like 1

Driver's door was replaced and not lined up properly? The rest is just primer.

Mike I thought it might be a different door too...then I looked at the bed and just wasn't sure if I was seeing that door graphic flowing into the bed. The more I look the more convinced I've become: Different door.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the reply's. I haven't gone and looked at it yet, just wanted some more information about typical problem spots on these. They are asking $600.00 for it and im looking for a decent running project. From what I do know it is running and driving, I plan on going to take a look at it in the next couple days, will keep you guys posted on what i find and if i decide to get it!

Thank you for the information! Hopefully i can get this one or another one and start a build thread! I really love the look and feel of these old trucks!

-Spencer

• Like 1