38DCOE25 versus a 40DCOE18

riderosa

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I have done no other tuning.

I did notice that the rear two cylinders are low compression with the throttle closed in comparison to the from two. At holding the throttle wide open compression is high and uniform on all cylinders.  It is believed that synchronization may be the next issue to address. The back carburetor is closed and not allowing sufficient air into the cylinders.

Rich

It may be beneficial to take the carbs and intake off the enigne and have someone look at them, to make sure things are up to spec, before you wast a bunch of time beating your head against the wall, or worse, before you blow up a motor.

If they were here in my shop I would start by synching the throttle shafts, checking to make sure they are not twisted, check the throttle linkage and stops and so on before I even tried to run them on the car. Are you using soft mounts? If not, I would recommend them, especially on a race car. And a centerpull linkage. And an air cleaner backing plate to keep the carbs rigid to one another.

I have planned to do all you have suggested this week including adding the soft mount. I am pretty sure the throttle shafts are not synced based on a compression test I did with the throttle closed. The rear carb is expected to be nearly closed given I can only achieve about 60-70% of the front 2 cylinders. At open throttle that are all nearly the same.

By the way, thank you for the information. I appreciate your taking the time; it is a big help to me.

• Like 1