My J-13/520 pickup threw a rod

p3hawk

While driving my 520 to my dads house on I-4 (fla), the engine threw a rod. I now have a hole about the size of a .50 cent piece on the left side of the block. Anybody know where I can get a short block? Or mayB a 1600cc. Also thinking a bout the SR20 eng. Im open for suggestions.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are trying to maintain a "concourse" ready 520 truck, I would seriously consider an engine swap.  A L-16 or l-18 engine would be nice.  Those two engines would be happy living at the RPM the 520 truck's 4.88 rear axle would make the engine run.  A L-20 engine would like lower freeway RPM.  

Solutions to lowering the freeway RPM are an overdrive five speed, or a lower numerically geared rear axle.  L-16, and L-18 521 or 620 trucks came with a 4.375, and there are other gear ratios available.

I believe the 520, 521, 620, and some 720 trucks use the H190 rear axle.  I think the later model trucks have a wider rear axle, but the center section may bolt in to the 520 rearaxle housing, and use the 520 axles, but I am not sure.

I have put a 520 rear center (pumpkin) into a 521/L16 rear axle housing, but that is all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Ive been off the forum for a couple of weeks. Yes I'll put up the Pic's, I've been searching for a/an L-16 eng. but the mounts don't match up. The J13 mount are located in front of the block, L-16 in the middle so to speak . As far as the L-20 block I would suspect its the same? 

Sorry Ive been off the forum for a couple of weeks. Yes I'll put up the Pic's, I've been searching for a/an L-16 eng. but the mounts don't match up. The J13 mount are located in front of the block, L-16 in the middle so to speak . As far as the L-20 block I would suspect its the same? 

L16 and L20B use the same motor mounts. Or more accurately, motor mounts from one can bolt to the other.

Time to get out the cutoff wheel and the welder...!

Yeah, fab some mounts.  You should be able to get a free L16 near anywhere.  In fact, you might even trip over one.  If you were here, I already would have delivered the leaky mess of an L16 sitting in my garage just to get it out.  From a customer's build a few years back.  Just needs rebuilding.

• 2 weeks later...