Emissions Testing

Stankalonius

I recently got my '79 210, and am somewhat new to car work (I'm handy, just don't know that much) .  The guy that I bought it from said he had pulled some things at the time of sale that were siezed but not necessary.  After driving it around for a month or so, I've noticed that the car smells a little gassey (don't know if this is a good description) on the exterior.  The car drives great generally (aside from the old shocks/springs, and the interior) and i get 37mpg, or so.  This doesn't seemto affect engine performance, aside from the smelly exterior of the car.

I found the repair manual online and have compared the interior of mine to the pics.  I discovered that he basically removed the entire emissions system.  I'm still on my provisional registration, but have to get an emmisions test for my plates in CO.  I'm guessing that I won't pass without these parts....sooo  I can find most of the valves and pumps and tubes that I need online, but I can't seem to find a vapor canister.  There's a number of 240z vapor canisters on ebay, would that maybe fit?  If not, does anyone have any other resources that I might be able to use to find one within the next month? There's no 210s in the u-pullit yards around here and there's only one listed on car-part.com for 100 bucks (I'd like not to spend that) .  

Can anyone help?

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the charcoal cannister has 3 nipples it can be made to work if you still have [or can ressurect] the appropriate hoses,  Does your local Inspection NAZI group insist on verifying the part number / configuration or are they satisfied with "Visually Installed and Passes the SMOG check"?

@Mike - Not sure how strict they are here.  The DMV lady said there's certain shops that do testing specifically for 'vintage' vehicles.  She mentioned that the laws were more lenient for older cars, but who knows.  Without any emissions stuff I might be dead in the water.  The ones I've seen all have 3 nipples, but from what I understand a 240z chamber is bigger than the 210.  Not sure if that would cause a problem.  I don't have any of the hoses, will have to figure out diameter etc from the manual and/or look around online.

@sierra - Thanks for the tip.  I'll check there tomorrow.  Could be something to order along with the hoses for the emissions stuff.

Note: I erred in writing earlier, its the 280z, not 240.

Here's some that I found ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-DATSUN-280Z-FUEL-VAPOR-CANISTER-126296-/371062907183?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566512a12f&vxp=mtr

or this that's newer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14950-D210A-VAPOR-CANISTER-FITS-NISSAN-SENTRA-STANZA-PULSAR-200SX-240SX-D21-/330996196957?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d10e9265d&vxp=mtr

They all look similar, 3 nipples and the shape and size look pretty close.  Maybe.  Thoughts?

Biggest cause of smell is the disconnecting of the valve cover vent hose and putting those blue air filters on.

If the charcoal canister is gon where are the hoses that went to it. There will be a vent hose from the gas tank and likely one from the carburetor fuel bowl. The charcoal canister collects fumes from these and stores them till the next time you start the car. Then these fumes are sucked into the engine and burned. If these two sources anr not capped this is the cause.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, took a chance and got tested....and it passed, sort of.  The emissions were within tolerance, but the guy failed me because the parts were missing, ie the air pump and egr valve and hoses etc.  I tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't budge.   So, have an air-pump ordered from a yard in Nebraska.  You guys know if the egr valve from Rock Auto will fit? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3647814&cc=1208809

I looked at an air pump there but it really doesn't look correct, so I went the car-parts route.  I think I need the Air-induction valve as well, possibly the ab valve? 

Since the emissions actually passed, should I get the bare minimum for the visuals or try to get it al put back into place?

Some good news on this front.  I think I've found most of the parts.  Pulled a charcoal canister,egr and ab valves from a wrecked wagon and a bunch of hoses.  I also got a smog pump from a yard in Nebraska...but I don't have the mounting brackets.  Anyone know where I might be able to find them?

YOOOOOOOO!

a 1981 210 just popped up at a nearby junkyard. I havent checked it out yet, but its on their website. Im going to try and go tomorrow IF i have time.

let me know if you'd be interested in paying for the part plus shipping.

http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Chula_Vista-264/recents/

@ j_boy_619 Nothing we can use on our B210's.

The car it self is very complete. It's an Auto.

I was hoping it was a manual to get some little parts I need for my transmission swap.

@Stankalonius Sorry dude, I am not 100% sure the bracket u need was there or not. The car seemed to have everything under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE---Success, or Close enough to it.

I posted a want ad on row52.com and a guy from Mississippi went to the yard in Alabama (which had '79 210 intact) and pulled them for me (including the washer resovoir and pump and a bunch of hoses) .  I hope he grabbed everything I need, but either way its a really promising start.  This cost me less than flying anywhere that had these cars in their yard anyway.

They're en route and should be here next week.  Hoefully this saga will be over soon.  My only concern is dialing in the carb after reattaching all this stuff.  I may have to post here for help, but first will rely on the service manual which appears to have fairly detailed instructions.

I'll post pics upon arrival.

@damagedduck - Do you still have those seats you pulled?  I'd like to come by and grab them sometime and give you some monies.

So the parts came in.  Got the blue arm and pulley, shown above and some hoses.  I'm still not sure how to hook it all up..  @Sierra, is there any way that you could get a photo from behind there and show how the bottom of the pump connects? I think they guy didn't send me the other most critial part of this, the bottom air pump bracket. ARRRRRGH!  I am going to SLC this weekend with my band, so hepfully I can get to the pick-n-save there to grab the rest of what I need.