HELP!!! lol. '84 720 swap

720jon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the KAs and buy a truck for a project.  Be a good learning experience.  By the way why did you have coolant in the cylinders?

It is always best to figure out a problem before creating another problem.  Pulling the spark plugs and cranking over the engine in the beginning would have saved you the time, trouble, and expense of the KAs. 

• Like 1

So I bought an 84 4x4 720 with a z24 and it needed a rebuild. I finished the rebuild and it overheated and now it won't start and cranks really slowly. Instead of spending another 500 to rebuild my spare I pulled a Ka24e, harness and ecu out of a 90 240sx. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the efi up. Also I realized (too late) that I need to swap the oil pan since the 240 has a front sump. I am open to all suggestions and any help. Thanks for reading. Jon

$500 isn't a rebuild and wouldn't cover the machine shop work.

Get that temp gauge fixed or you will need two spare KAs.

• Like 2

Seeing as how you overheated this engine....

When it is dead cold from sitting over night. Re torque the head bolts. This is easy and they can be done in any order you like. Loosen one bolt only and immediately torque to 60 ft. lbs. Then and only then, move to the next bolt. Loosen it and tighten to 60 ft. lbs.

Over heating expands the block and head metal and compresses the gasket. Only sensible to make sure the head is properly clamped to the block.

• Like 1

Is the Z24 is running good?  Hows your temps?  No oil in the coolant?  No coolant in the oil?

Jon do not be embarrassed we all make mistakes.  The best thing is you learn something.  It is a good day for me when I learn something.

I hope the Z24 runs a long time for you.  I am empressed that you stuck with the Z24 and figured it out.

Good job.

• Like 1