HELP!!! lol. '84 720 swap

720jon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had starters turn slow, it turned out to be the aperture was smoked, that happens from turning the engine over to long, but what really screws it up is turning the engine over with a half dead battery, that really fucks them up.

Do the cable ends near the battery connection have a turquoise color?

If the cables are going bad, you don't get clean power to the starter.

• Like 1

New cables and ends. No bluing on the ends. I'm gonna start adding grounds everywhere like I did with my half-finder. I really Appreciate the help all of you have been providing. I have an open offer of brews BBQ and a good time to whoever wants to come get hands on lol. Also, once I get my computer up and running I'll post pics. I'm doing this from my phone lol

• Like 1

I am not going to speculate that I know the answer for sure, I made a post mentioning AA a while back referring to myself, but I seen another reason it might have happened also, I just past 10,000 posts today, so I became one of a select few that posts way to much on here. :lol:

Do I want to know? I really do tho lol

• Like 1

Where was your temperature gauge? A new rebuild almost demands that you watch the gauges and not the road. This should could never have gone dry without you noticing it over heating.

and you haven't answered my question. What was done for this rebuild?  In particular was the head checked for flatness? Was this a quick hone and ring job? Why was it rebuilt... was it loosing water? Head gasket blown?

• Like 1

Where was your temperature gauge? A new rebuild almost demands that you watch the gauges and not the road. This should could never have gone dry without you noticing it over heating.

and you haven't answered my question. What was done for this rebuild? In particular was the head checked for flatness? Was this a quick hone and ring job? Why was it rebuilt... was it loosing water? Head gasket blown?

As for the temp, I really don't know because my temp sender is bad. I tried to get one that night buy they didn't have one so I was running with my heater at full. I don't think the coolant was flowing properly because the heater stayed ICE cold. I started to worry early on and when I got to my garage it was steaming. I released the pressure valve and it BLEW. That was the last time it ran. As for the rebuild, I took it to the best machine shop in town, they checked the head and said it was good. Scoped the block, hot tank, proper 20 over bore and hone, full rebuild with pistons and rings (minus oil pump and water pump because they were brand new when I got the truck a month ago.

The engine was rebuilt because it was a spare and the engine in the truck needed to be replaced. (Broken piston, knock, bad vibration, only running on 3 cyl.)

• Like 1

So I think I may have warped the head. I've decided to just pull the z24 out.  

As for getting the ka to work, I've searched icehouse's thread and I can't seem to find a good (easy) wiring diagram to make it work without the box. I feel like if I had a good diagram and instructions I could confidently wire it up. As long as all the colors in the instructions matched the colors in my hand lol. In regards to the oil pan, I'm planning on having one fabed by combining a z pan and a ka pan. Any thoughts on that? I know i need to figure something out with the pickup tube still.

• Like 1

It's scary how fast one of these engines comes out once you know where everything is. On a lighter note, I know why it was slow cranking. I pulled the oil drain bolt and found all my coolant. :-( another head gasket. Good thing I hasn't pulled it out. So I'm going to get another gasket, oil, and coolant. Then drive it lol. Any suggestions on what to do with the ka? Build it or just crate it up for later?

• Like 1