HELP!!! lol. '84 720 swap

720jon

So I bought an 84 4x4 720 with a z24 and it needed a rebuild. I finished the rebuild and it overheated and now it won't start and cranks really slowly. Instead of spending another 500 to rebuild my spare I pulled a Ka24e, harness and ecu out of a 90 240sx. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the efi up. Also I realized (too late) that I need to swap the oil pan since the 240 has a front sump. I am open to all suggestions and any help. Thanks for reading. Jon

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pan will be a little tricky. 

The truck KA vs. the car KA have a lot of differences. The pan being one of them. 

The pan from one swaps to the other, but not the other way around. I don't remember which combo works. 

Also-the CAN-AM box will help your wiring woes. 

Use that info to search. Lots of information around here regarding those. GL.

• Like 1

There is a sticky on ratsun called something like how to wire any Nissan engine in to anything. Look for it, has all the ka details in it. You will need to buy an oil pickup tube for a truck ka to get it in the correct rear sump location. I'm not sure if the d21 4x4 pan will work, but simply comparing the oil pan gaskets will get you pretty far. Otherwise I know guys have cut both oil pans in half and welded them together for a custom one. You will also need a new higher pressure fuel pump. There are a number of guys running that engine in all sorts of datsun on here, so read up on all their swaps. The fitment issue will change between chassis, but most of the wiring and other issues will be fairly similar.

• Like 2

You know anything about doing without the box?

Yeah. You will have a mess of wires and relays with all the time to wire it in.

The box will save you the time and money you will invest into a wiring rats nest.

Just get the box. Life will be easier.

You sound like you need all the help you can get.

• Like 1

Flatcat is right. 10 hours of research can easily save 50 hours under the car. Start reading everything you can. If you aren't really familiar with reading wiring diagrams, practice. The can/am box does make it much simpler and cleaner, but if you don't want to go that route, just remember you will be wiring all the same wires they use. They have covered all the wires that must be powered in order to make the ka run in a different chassis. Read their thread, it's as good a place to start as any.

• Like 1

You have a lot of hardcore Datsun guys near where you live.

Keep reading and posting on here. You will find locals soon. 

Advice: Do your research. 

While these guys are all knowledgeable and willing to help, they ain't gonna do it for you. 

For know, go back to the Z24 in your truck. WHY did it overheat? Easily diagnosable. 

Keep it running until you are fully ready to to a KA swap. 

Many guys were fully versed around here to pull off the KA. But it will never be a quick weekend job. 

Long and expensive. 

• Like 1

Coolant had a bubble and wasn't flowing properly. I've gotten all the air out but it's cranking really slow and not starting. The z24 is still in it. The weekend I speak of its just to do the wiring lol. I figure that will be the most time consuming part

• Like 1

Prevents showing up to the gun fight with a knife.

I finished the rebuild and it overheated and now it won't start and cranks really slowly.

So what exactly did you do for the rebuild?

Did you get it running and driving properly?

How many miles on it before it over heated?

• Like 1

Short list: full rebuild with 20 over pistons and rings.

I started it and drove it home 2 miles. It didn't want to start about 30 minutes later. Got it started, drove to napa to find out they didn't have the thermistor they said they did.2 miles. Wouldn't start again. Got it started, it was running for 15 minutes (half parked half driving) got to my workspace to check coolant and it was steaming. No water in lower hose top hose was HOT. Got it comes down and filed all the way and now it cranks really slow and won't start. My battery is good

• Like 1

I've been trying lol. As for the overheat I can only assume bad enough. I'm hoping that I can still use the z24 but I'm prepared for the worst.

dont assume, do some tests. it could be as simple as a bad ground. i would hate to see you get balls deep into a ka swap and not finish it due to finances or lack of interest or insert reason here and have a good motor sitting there the whole time. get the z24 running and drive the shit out of it. 

• Like 1

My plan for tomorrow is to re work my electrical in the morning as see if I can't get the z24 to live. At noon if it's not running, out comes the cherry picker lol. If it's not the ground or starter or battery (which I don't think it is) why else would it be turning so slowly? If I pull it out I'm going to strip it down and find the issue and keep it as a back up. Maybe build it since it's freshly 20 over

• Like 1