Considering an ld20t for my 81 dime

Nutcase

I've been thinking about this for some time now. Since the 81's came with 3.36:1 gears And I haven't tried a diesel swap yet. I might like the combo of efficiency and uniqueness. The turbocharged ld20 makes pretty good power and very good torque.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ,, i think it's a great idea myself.

Wayno kinda talked us out of it a short time ago as there seems to be a bit of wiring that would have to be done to make it work. ( opposite of diesels i'm used too) ..  So we didn't purchase the running donor truck.

• Like 1

I doubt there are more than 5 wires to make it run. Since the ld20 2 turbo uses an inline pump with a fuel solenoid, glow plugs and a starter that's one ground and 4 wires.

I looked up our PMs and i see I was talking to him about SD22  so a SD20 might be different ..  He did mention seriously underpowered though even being a 22.

i like the idea as well .......

We were thinking for a future project wagon so the whack-a-mole mobile would still be spinning around throwing dust on our "real" Datsun cars still though.

Petrol will go back up ,, it always does ,, be nice to be prepared when it does.

• Like 1

The LD20 is a different engine, they were made with turbochargers from the factory, the SD22 never came with a turbocharger that I know of, and the SD33 had a special inline injection pump that would work with a turbocharger, the SD23 and SD25 did come turbocharged, but they came with a VE style injection pump, not an inline injection pump like 99.9 percent of the US model 720s came with.

The US model injection pumps came with this weird electrical system that cut the fuel off by pulling the injection pump arm to the off position, while all the turbocharged engines except for maybe the SD33 came with a fuel cut off solenoid like the ones on gas carbs to keep them from dieseling when shut off, the LD20 like the one you mentioned have the solenoid to stop the engine, just one wire to shut it down. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...