'82 720 STILL won't idle, help!

theboraxkid

No. You'll notice that there is a small manifold that bolts to the intake manifold with three bolts. Loosen the EGR pipe from the exhaust and unbolt it and remove. They are not known for plugging up and I bet you find this is a waste of time.

The EGR valve however can clog up with exhaust deposits and many Datsuns have engine counters and a red dash light  that comes on at 30K to indicate it's time for maintenance. (wire brushing)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy at the shop says the egr passageways need to be cleaned in the intake manifold. Is that a big job?

As Mike pointed out, there is only one area of the intake that is for the EGR system, it is a small air-box at the rear of the intake that is (from what I can tell) simply a heat chamber where exhaust gases warm your intake air. I sealed mine off when I de-smogged it. From what it sounds like, the mechanic may not be very familiar with these systems and may just be suggesting what cars in general need done. One of the biggest reasons I don't live in CA has to be the emissions testing, other than that, I love it!

~Peter

The EGR does not warm the intake air. This is not what it's for. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (ERG) is a method of reducing the peak combustion temperatures that are the cause oxides of nitrogen to form. This is done by metering small amounts of inert (oxygen deficient) exhaust gasses in with the intake air and fuel to dilute them.

There is no EGR duting idle, while the engine is cold and warming up and at full throttle so has no effect on performance.

The emissions equipment back then had little effect on engine running. Engines were built that made emissions and equipment was added that helped control it. Today the engine management system prevents the engine form going into conditions than make pollution in the first place. Big difference.

EGR is still used today because it is effective. Engines can even run better with it. Less pre ignition and can even get better mileage.