Buick 215 in a 620!

Joseph_change

Pics of my 215 V8 510. As you can see, it was a tight fit. Other then the coolness factor and the V8 sound, this swap is not really worth the effort these days. More modern engines are the way to go. A VG33 will give the same power, better mpgs and better parts availability.

I had sold my car to another 510 guy. Unfortunately, he wrecked it. It was disassembled and the engine was sold to an MG guy. I still have those headers for it but one of them is cracked. They were custom made. If you decide to do the swap and are interested in the headers, let me know,

5206670001_large.jpg?v=0

14SP5_018.jpg

14SP5_021.jpg

14SP5_020.jpg

5206670003_medium.jpg?v=0

• Like 3
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my 76 620 with a chevy 4.3 v6,turbo 350 nine inch rear end

IMG_91531024x768.jpg

IMG_91501024x768.jpg

Here is an older video where my daughter is driving it

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/polmec/th_Amber1a_zps287a070d.mp4

It runs mid 11's and is street driven

What kind of rear end did you use? What did you do with the suspension?

I have a rebuilt 215 Buick and tranny, I think its a hydra-glide 3 speed, that I'm just completing for my '77 King Cab. I'm hoping to have about 220-230 hp when it's finished. If I ever figure out photo-bucket I'll post some pics. I also have a bunch of extra 215 parts as well as a good, tanked and bored out (.001) block if you decide to go this route.

• Like 2

The answer is somewhere in these posts. Hand held devices are the most problematic. Home computers work well.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

I have a rebuilt 215 Buick and tranny, I think its a hydra-glide 3 speed, that I'm just completing for my '77 King Cab. I'm hoping to have about 220-230 hp when it's finished. If I ever figure out photo-bucket I'll post some pics. I also have a bunch of extra 215 parts as well as a good, tanked and bored out (.001) block if you decide to go this route.

IIRC these 3 speeds were not available when the 215 was around. This is from a 70s BOP vehicle then?

• Like 1

My biggest gripe with v-8's and iron block v-6's are how heavy they make the steering, not to mention the old stuff just cannot make the horsepower the new stuff makes.  Turbo engines are the way to go if you want to have an engine that is relatively easy to make more power.    My 85 5.0 mustang would get beat by my Toyota Venza.  It's a sign of the times really.  Horspower is easy to come by these days with all the creature comforts.

... but what does it weigh?

Not much. Only real downside is that it's a little on the tall side...

And it came in a 4, 5, and 6 cylinder version. And apparently the 4 and 5 version respond very well to boost...   B)

With an aluminum block, variable valve timing, etc they are little powerhouses and relatively cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine

And this guy makes plug and play harnesses and hacks the ECU for you. 

In case it isn't obvious, I'm considering replacing the straight 6 in my '63 Nova with one of these...   :rofl:

• Like 1

Rear sump V-6's fit pretty well, aside from having to deal with the exhaust routing.  SR20's are a tight fit because they are a big four cylinder,  a straight 5 or 6 and you're going to be doing a deeply recessed firewall or sitting in the back of the king cab.

Datzenmike... thanks for the info. I was told by the previous owner/builder that the tranny was a 3-speed and I just assumed (ass-u-me... ya I know) it was a hydra. I haven't gotten to rebuilding it yet... and with the other great info from everyone in this string, like "aluminumv8.com," it looks like there are much better ways to go than a 50+ year old trans. So I'm finally getting it... I'm not as smart as I thought I was.

Hey all, help me out real quick :). My 620 is having a problem. Whenever I shut my truck off after running for a while, my carb floods and I cannot start it up again, its left me stranded twice now. But cclose to home thankfully. It just keeps trying to pump fuel.

• 2 weeks later...